• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Well, its been about 4-5 months since I bought my land out toward Lexington. Haven't been out there but twice since then.

But, got out there yesterday. Setup a feeder and a camera, picked up some trash (bottles and cans from last owner). Then the kids and I did some .22 plinking (M&P15-22 and the Browny Buck). Had some good fun. The the kiddos went about clearing an area for a fort while I tested the pattern on my Mossy 500.

Good damn time. I'll go back out in a week or so to see how the timer setup is for the corn and check the cam. I'm hoping to take my first animal ever this year!!
    ARJ Defense ad

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Well, its been about 4-5 months since I bought my land out toward Lexington. Haven't been out there but twice since then.

But, got out there yesterday. Setup a feeder and a camera, picked up some trash (bottles and cans from last owner). Then the kids and I did some .22 plinking (M&P15-22 and the Browny Buck). Had some good fun. The the kiddos went about clearing an area for a fort while I tested the pattern on my Mossy 500.

Good damn time. I'll go back out in a week or so to see how the timer setup is for the corn and check the cam. I'm hoping to take my first animal ever this year!!

Yes, sir ... fun times.....but deer corn is very expensive right now... and I cant afford to keep the feeders full in the summer.....plus its been hotter than a mofo out there at the ranch (in south texas). Dont even have the game camera going just yet. I'll wait a bit more before I start feeding.
    My son has a Henry lever .22 and I let him shoot by Browning Camper when we go to the ranch. He gets a few rabbits also..Since its been so dry and hot.... we dont shoot the rabbits anymore.. Congrats on your new ranch!

where is lexington?

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I won't start running the feeders until late October probably. May start running the cam on the trails before then though...not sure yet.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Dunno. I haven't seen any of late. Last year it was 9 clams for a 50# bag....can't imagine it will be that cheap this year. Since I won't start hunting out there until after Thanksgiving, I have lots of time to get the cheapest I can find and stock up.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I have been seeing corn run about $7 for a 40# bag. My first year doing this so I'm not sure how that pricing is.

Several buddies have told me to get feeding ahead of time to get/keep the deer coming. And while gigs aren't please tidily around there, I have heard there are some around. If the can picks any up, I'll gladly take em!

Lexington is about 20 min NE of Bastrop on 696. My property is about 2/3 of way there.

heavyzee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Austin
    i am always back an fort btwn Austin(the office) and Jasper/Livingston, the field... i have about 150 acres and 45 acres out there... if u even need any help lmk im always back and forth running right past your place...

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I've been feeding since the end of February early March, 50# bags have been running around $9.25. I've been seeing a large number of twins this year and I've wanted to make sure they survived the bad year. One pond has completly dried up and I'm afraid that if we don't get some rain by October the largest will also. My biggest problem this year has been trepassers/thieves, aside from the bad dry spell that is.

I've been feeding fairly heavily, at least compared to normal conditions.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    We have been feeding all year--corn is about $9.25 50lbs--gets damn expensive. With this drought all the animals are starving, we are constantly seeing stuff you don't normally see. I don't even hunt them. Lots of fawns being seen without mama's around.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    A 40lb bag here at academy runs about $8.50. Ten bags equals $85 +tax.... ouch.... I know the earlier the feeding the better... but I just cant afford it right now..... besides I think the lack of water(rain) is a bigger issue....

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    If you want them to survive a drought, don't feed them corn or just only corn. Its like feeding them candy. Use a high protein mix or something like that. THAT will help them survive better and keep the weight on. If I still had the ranch, that is what I would be doing. Corn is hunting candy...high protein feed is food for survival and general nutrition. A 50/50 mix is what we would do at times.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    If you want them to survive a drought, don't feed them corn or just only corn. Its like feeding them candy. Use a high protein mix or something like that. THAT will help them survive better and keep the weight on. If I still had the ranch, that is what I would be doing. Corn is hunting candy...high protein feed is food for survival and general nutrition. A 50/50 mix is what we would do at times.

That's what we feed-aprox 50/50 mix. The protein pellets are $10 50lb. Wife was in San Antonio the other day and bought corn from Academy for $6.99 40lb. Getting damn expensive.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Yup, gets expensive. But at least you can recoup your investment while munching on Bambi all year. I know I am.

I dont know..... once you factor all other expenses..... hunters rarely come out ahead.....today's hunters dont hunt for the economics, but for the joy and tradition.... it probably cheaper to buy meat at heb...... not as enjoyable thou....

ps.... come deer season, you can still find me at the ranch....

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Didn't really mean monetarily, though it can happen. Just eat em up...and it won't be a loss.:cool:

Think I spent around 3-3.50 a pound last year with feed and processing. Still cheaper than HEB by a good margin for super lean and 100% drug and med free. Would have been even cheaper, but I got nearly 40# of sausage this time. As good as that sausage is this time, I might grind everything up and make it all sausage next time. Tis that good....at least we think so.:cool:

Nah...need chili meat and hamburger too.......dang, now I am hungry again.

Top Bottom