• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Nonsense. If the iron sights are correct and the dot is correct, they'll co-witness.

If the irons and RDS is at the same height, then maybe so, but this is mostly used on rifles with a longer sight radius. On a pistol, with a shorter sight radius and mismatched sight elevations, POA/POI will vary greatly.

On a second note, I use a 12 yrd zero on my pistol. For me, the POI is pretty close from 7 to 25

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    This is an interesting thread. I appreciate all the knowledge. I am a layman when it comes to pistol red dots

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    this thread has been super helpful, looks like i lack some common sense.

On that note, the suppressor sights shoot a little low as well at 5-7y, but are easy to compensate for.

I’ve been training with my church group, and we spend some time doing defensive drills, and some time on precision. I switched to 9mm for defense in 2020 for capacity, and just started shooting again a couple months ago. Throw in red dots and it’s all relatively new.

I’m used to target practice on irons with p220s and 1911s… just going slow and trying to shoot out the bullseye. Time for some real world thinking.

I still suck past 10-15y no matter what the caliber and gun. Nearsightedness and lack of practice.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    this thread has been super helpful, looks like i lack some common sense.

On that note, the suppressor sights shoot a little low as well at 5-7y, but are easy to compensate for.

I’ve been training with my church group, and we spend some time doing defensive drills, and some time on precision. I switched to 9mm for defense in 2020 for capacity, and just started shooting again a couple months ago. Throw in red dots and it’s all relatively new.

I’m used to target practice on irons with p220s and 1911s… just going slow and trying to shoot out the bullseye. Time for some real world thinking.

I still suck past 10-15y no matter what the caliber and gun. Nearsightedness and lack of practice.
    id say if you really wanna test your mettle, get a shot timer and learn some drills

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    My first pistol red dot was a learning experience. I had ASSUMED that the point of aim was the same through the red dot and the iron sights. I just figured that it compensated for the off center view through the sight. Well the short answer is Nope.

When sighting in the RDS you should do it in the dead center of the sighting area.

It can compensate a little, but the farther from the centered aim point is skewed.

IMHO the red dot is still an excellent addition to aim, but not an excuse, or crutch.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    My first pistol red dot was a learning experience. I had ASSUMED that the point of aim was the same through the red dot and the iron sights. I just figured that it compensated for the off center view through the sight. Well the short answer is Nope.

When sighting in the RDS you should do it in the dead center of the sighting area.

It can compensate a little, but the farther from the centered aim point is skewed.

IMHO the red dot is still an excellent addition to aim, but not an excuse, or crutch.
    A red dot is by no means a crutch as some people say, and can actually help diagnose shooting issues easier than irons, the dot moves around more so you can tell if you are jerking the trigger, or if your grip alignment is off unlike with irons, due to how the eye works with iron sights you have 2 points of reference so its much harder to diagnose shooting errors

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    A red dot is by no means a crutch as some people say, and can actually help diagnose shooting issues easier than irons, the dot moves around more so you can tell if you are jerking the trigger, or if your grip alignment is off unlike with irons, due to how the eye works with iron sights you have 2 points of reference so its much harder to diagnose shooting errors
    I saw this when I shot a pdp with a holosun. I think in the long run, the red dot is going to work out well for me. I was put off by how much the reticle was moving and I didnt realize that on that model you could toggle between the big donut reticle or a dot. I feel like I would shoot better with the dot

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I saw this when I shot a pdp with a holosun. I think in the long run, the red dot is going to work out well for me. I was put off by how much the reticle was moving and I didnt realize that on that model you could toggle between the big donut reticle or a dot. I feel like I would shoot better with the dot
    its very much a shock if you shot with irons previously but atleast for me the red dot has been very helpful, even with my astigmatism I feel like the dot is more accurate for me atleast than the irons but I have been shooting better with the irons since I have been using the dot.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    its very much a shock if you shot with irons previously but atleast for me the red dot has been very helpful, even with my astigmatism I feel like the dot is more accurate for me atleast than the irons but I have been shooting better with the irons since I have been using the dot.
    I have astigmatism as well but I usually dont notice too bad of a blur or anything with red dots. I am thankful for that bc some people who have it cant shoot shit because of it.

So when I shot that pdp, I did 50 rounds with it, then 50 rounds with a g17 with the glock bold sights. I shot about the same with each, but follow up shots were way more accurate and faster with the red dot. Also it was my first time ever using one so after a few months it should be as good as irons for me hopefully

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I have astigmatism as well but I usually dont notice too bad of a blur or anything with red dots. I am thankful for that bc some people who have it cant shoot shit because of it.

So when I shot that pdp, I did 50 rounds with it, then 50 rounds with a g17 with the glock bold sights. I shot about the same with each, but follow up shots were way more accurate and faster with the red dot. Also it was my first time ever using one so after a few months it should be as good as irons for me hopefully
    i just simply cope and put the smudge on the target lmao

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom