• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    In September I purchased a C93 from a local dealer up on Jones rd. after the purchase it took me about 3 weeks until I could hit the range after the purchase, this was due to wanting to mount optics on the gun.
    so after sending a hundred rounds thru another new pistol I had purchased elsewhere, I headed on down to the rifle side of the range to shoot my brand new rifle, now I am the kind of guy that researches everything to death before I commit to any product pretty much, having said that I was not going to be surprised if the gun had issues, as they are well documented.
    well low and behold first mag (short loaded with only 20 rounds) rack the action and release the bolt, get a good sight picture and squeeze the trigger and... click.. nothing... hmmm ok. cycle the action, and an unspent round flies out and a new one is stripped from the magazine, again, aim, squeeze,...click.. WTF? ok anyways upon further inspection I notice the bolt is not going in to complete battery, ughhhh!!!

well short of it, I return the gun to the dealer and explain the issue. the dealer gets my information takes my phone number and tells me they will call me in a couple of weeks with an update and hopefully with good news, great so far customer service has been good and all the people there very nice and helpful.
    about 5 weeks later, after NOT receiving any calls from them I call to inquire to the progress, and I get the "its still at the gun smiths" line, which is when I ask them to please send the gun back to Century as it is well documented on the net that Century generally will fix the gun and ship it back in a fairly decent amount of time, they tell me ok and that they will keep me informed.

moving forward to just before Christmas which by this time the dealer has had my gun since October, I call since they have failed to call me yet again, to get the "we will jump on this and get you taken care of ASAP" and they also promissed to call me with update within the week, and guess what? NO Call, ever!

Moving to the first week of the new year, i write them an e-mail asking to please let me know what is happening. guess again? NO answer or reply!!!!

So I finally call again this past Tuesday now with a not so patient attitude as I feel now I am being taken for a ride. only to get the answer that the gun has been fixed and it was a confusion between their gunsmith and their manager as to who was supposed to notify me.. right... so I go there the following day to pick the gun up, they apologize for the confusion, and hand the gun case on the counter, I open it up (looks untouched) pull the lever to cycle the action, release the charger and thuk, fails to go into battery with no obstructions. ( at this point inside I am livid) so I ask them to call the manager or the owner, because I feel that at this point I have been wronged fairly badly. they call the owner of the shop and they come back at me with "we can send it back to century if you like" when I had asked them 3 months ago to do that , but yet they didnt. thats whne I decided I do not want this gun anymore or from these vendors as I feel I was just jacked! so they call back the owner and all they offer is a "store credit"
    which I refuse and demand the owner call me. well after leaving their store/driving range and headed to another gun shop I get a call from one of the workers telling me that the owner had authorized him to just cut me a check for the purchase prize.

Now this is where I have a hard time wondering if I am out of line or am I justified in thinking that a smart business owner would do a little something to maintain a customer relationship.
    Fact: they had my money for close to 5 months and I had the expectations that come with a new gun purchase.
    Fact: there was NO evidence that the gun was even looked at by a gunsmith.
    Fact: happy customers refer others as well as buy more stuff.
    Now I am NOT asking for anything free or unreasonable, just an attempt even if unsuccessful to retain my business after its clear I have been wronged professionally.
    but NO the best I was offered was my money back.. yay at least I got that

Am I wrong for thinking this store acted very unprofessionally?
    Am I wrong in thinking the owner should have made a good faith offer to make me happy after getting jerked around?

What do you guys think? I am really interested in opinions here. Thanks.

BTW I drove from their parking lot straight to a competitors shop on Stubbner, just so I could spend the money that this bad dealer at one of their competitors and ordered a brand new STI 1911 and a nice upper for an AR Im building. it was very satisfying signing over their check to one of their competitors.
    Guns International

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Jones Rd, it must be AMSS (the one at the par-3 golf course). OP, you have every right to be upset. Unfortunately, that's the way it goes with a lot of gun shops. The other problem is that the rifle was a Century (well known for problems).

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Looks like they offered the money back. What more really did you expect?

I'd like to see how the person there considers themselves a gunsmith by the way. They may be good for removing sights and some other basics but troubleshooting a gun?

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    It seems, in reading your post, they tried to keep your business by offering a store credit and you refused and told them you wanted your money back. They authorized your request (which I am guessing quite a few stores wouldn't do that) and you are mad they gave you your money back? Were you hoping they would give you a 50% off your next purchase to go with the check? I think the owner probably thought "I offered to give him credit for anything in the store, he wants his money back...lost cause with this customer, better to refund the money and hope to make him happy then demand he take store credit and have him bad mouth me" which in turn leads to you bad mouthing him anyway.

Just my 2 cents.....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Am I wrong for thinking this store acted very unprofessionally?

No.

Am I wrong in thinking the owner should have made a good faith offer to make me happy after getting jerked around?

If you want your money back, take the offer. I think that is a generous of them, most stores would have you deal with Century from the beginning.

It looks like they lost you as a potential customer anyway.

I am a firm believer that just because someone has inconvenienced you in some way, you don't deserve compensation. If you are of a different mind, sue them. I have seen people sued for a lot more trivial matters.

Are you talking about AMMS? I am guessing that one because that does not sound like Ten Ring.

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    It was AMSS, and I took the money back. having been in the retail industry for a while as a manager attempting to heal an obviously harmed or mistreated customer I would have probably offered to sell him a gun at cost to keep the money at the shop or something similar that would not have been a huge investment but at least a show of good will. at least an attempt or a "Im sorry " from the owner but none of that was even offered.

I am a very reasonable guy and dont expect things given to me, but after being wronged I do expect a kiss after being Screwed.

and also why I am posting the question here if Im out of line for expecting a shop owner to try to mend a customer relationship that the shop obviously broke.

I guess Im more upset at the complete lack of caring about the situation or how i was put out, and lied to.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can see the frustration, Beretta had my Neos a lot less time than that and it ate me up that a new gun didn't shoot, plus the lack of contact and updates, then still not working. I wouldn't expect more than a refund considering most places I've gotten guns just say it's not their problem, send it to the manufacture. I don't blame you for goin somewhere else, sounded like terrible service.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The service definitely wasn't impressive, but you also didn't lose any cash (but you did lose gas and time). I think you did ok in the long run. Century would have charged you to fix it probably since their warranty starts from the time of manufacture not purchase. If they had good prices I would probably return seeing that you gambled to begin with by buying a Century gun.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    This seems weird to me. I think most shops will do no more than ship it off to the manufacturer for you.
    So it was a good sign that they'd try to take care of it for you. But they're obviously swamped so I don't understand why they'd do this.

I think you are lucky to get your money back. I wouldn't have been surprised if they stuck to storecredit.
    But as the buyer, I can also understand feeling like they owed you something for yanking your chain.

I think once you demanded cash back vice store credit, owners prob figured he was gonna get bashed no matter what.

Lose - lose for both sides, but sucks for you since it wasn't your fault.

Good luck elsewhere.

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    The shop offered your money back on a Century product?!? That's far beyond what any gun shop would normally offer. I bought a new Baretta pistol from Tomball Pawn that had a jacked up bore/barrel. They offered to send it to Baretta but recommeded I ship it myself. I called Baretta they sent me a shipping tag and 3-4 months later and lots of calls I got a new pistol. That's just the way it is when your dealing with firearms.

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    The thing is that if they would have been upfront with me and just told me to send it back myself, I would have because I did research this before buying and knew it was a possibility, and this would have all been a moot point.

whether the gun is a Century or not should be irrelevant to good customer service, it should be irrelevant to lying about it being serviced, it should be irrelevant about lying and claiming its fixed, or that it got sent anywhere for that matter.

and that shady business practice is what I'm having a problem with.

and from the response I see so far I do feel justified in being upset as to how I was treated.

If you find this behavior "normal" then you may be shopping at the wrong places, if you're a vendor and find this behavior "normal" then you might want to re-think your business practices.

I do realize that its easy for a gun dealer to consider $500 or $600 small change, but its not to the person who had to earn it. and its definitely NOT to the person who decides to spend their hard earn money on a luxury item.

Funny thing is that the next guy I went to that same day (gun shop on Stubbner)has been giving me great customer service and not only did he get that money I got back from the shady dealer, but I more than doubled that in what I purchased from him.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    After "researching everything to death" and still buying a Century three weeks after purchase you found a defective gun.

***Most places I know wouldn't have done anything at that point to help you out. Try that trick with Academy, Bass Pro, Cabala's, etc. and they'd laugh at you.

So, taking back the gun, and trying to fix it, was a good thing. They could have sent you to Century but most likely realized that he gun wasn't under warranty though them.

MOST good gunsmiths I know are backed up 6 weeks on even simple stuff.

Your issue seems to be with communication, gotcha. They didn't keep you informed how long it was taking.

They offered you store credit to help a 4 month old problem. Then cash back to keep you happy.

I know it was a long time but this shop did well by you.

Did you buy the same gun again? Heck, no you knew better.

Besides, hate to say this but 3 posts in and you sign up to rant? Not good.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Whether the gun was a BCM or a Century is irrelevant. Whether the gun cost $50 or $5,000 is irrelevant. Dicking someone around for 3 months is dicking them around for 3 months. To say its OK because in the end they refunded the money so they did right by him is a bit of a logic fail IMO. Lucky? Yes, but it does not nullify being dicked around for 3 months.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think where they messed up was that they didn't just send the gun back to Century. SOP for a new gun that malfunctions is to send it back to the manufacturer. I find it odd they kept it for the gunsmith to look at...

Refunding your money was very nice of them, tho. Usually when dealing with firearms it's a "you bought it, now it's yours" kind of deal.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    recordingwhiz

Instead of advice, you seem to be fishing for the group to agree to your already perceived notion that you are owed something more than your money back by them because you are "an obviously harmed or mistreated customer".

Plenty of people here have been willing to commiserate with you on your experience, and explain how much more they did than some would do. I feel that if you are a guy that "researches everything to death" you will find most all of us have experienced long delays and repair issues and have extremely few stories where we ended up with a cash, merchandise, or other financial bonus for time spent waiting.

Sorry but I don't think you will be able to bring this thread to AMSS, and tell them that the overwhelming majority of people on this board want AMSS to give you compensation for your troubles or you will continue to bash them and we will boycott them based on your singular experience. (An experience, BTW, that some think was not really that bad)

That is what you want, right??

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    Acctually NO, that is not what I want. at this point I dont want anything from AMSS, they lost my business when they decided to jerk me around about telling me the truth about my gun. I was very patient for a few months.

I posted here because I truly was trying to see if maybe Im over reacting or should I feel lucky I did get my money back, and perhaps looking around to other fellow gun enthusiast and asking "is this normal?".

And sadly some of you do feel this is normal, I get the feeling that the people defending the gun shop are probably in the industry somehow.

but I got enough feedback recognizing that I was indeed jerked around, which is pretty much what I was looking for.

the facts are that I got lied to about the status of the gun, I was ignored when I asked them to return to Century, and at the end they tried to pull a fast one on me telling me the gun was fixed when indeed it wasnt.

On top of this from day one I never received one (1) single phone call or reply until I called this past week angry and demanding an update.

Im sorry , but regardless of which industry you are in, that my friends is POOR customer service if not down right deception.

I do not want anything from them, nor do I wish them harm. I was merely expecting some form of attempt to fix a customer relationship, which to tell you the truth could have even been fixed with a simple personal call from the owner explaining things and making it right. (but that wasnt even offered)

Im actually sitting back flabbergasted that we as consumers would look at this type of behavior and assign it any form of legitimacy? realy?
    no wonder some gun shops are allowed to get away with this type of behavior. and Im shocked that some of you as consumers dont feel the need to fix these business practices.

I do feel lucky I got my money back now. however I was still jerked around, and luckily some one down the street decided to step up and be an honest stand up gun dealer for me, and now he has my business.

and BTW , I will get another C93 at some point, it is a gun that is on my list and has been for long time, next time I will purchase from a different dealer.

I will continue loving guns, I will buy more guns, now I will be vigilant to make sure the dealer I purchase from is more interested in my business that these people were. and to be honest,and in their defense the guys behind the counters there are ultra nice guys and always talked to me respectfully and never gave me attitude, but in the end that doesn't excuse the lack of communications and the deceit that was perpetrated.

I apologize to the few that think I came on here just to rant and give them a black eye, that was never my intention, and I was truly just getting a temperature for what people thought was acceptable business practices, does it seem personal, of course, it personally happened to me!

Thanks for your ears and your opinions, and I look forward to being a more active part of this gun loving community, I hope you will accept me.

Thanks

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It is very poor customer service. I don't think anyone will argue that. It is just uncommon for you to get your money back in that situation for a firearm purchase. All in all I think you broke even on the deal. Most guys just want to know what store it is so they can avoid it.

The best thing to do is look at it as a lesson learned and vote with your wallet.

Portals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    OK, what I am getting is that you are really upset over the lack of communication during the "repair" process. Without knowing the situation on the other side, I am not sure how this plays out. However, they did fall down on keeping you up to date.
    Also not sure what you expected. I think getting your money back and having the ability to get out of Dodge was the best solution.
    If they had offered a "at cost" deal, would you have taken that and recommended the shop to others? Or would you still be discontented and wonder if the deal was really at cost?
    If the gunsmith was really backed up, he might not have thought to call and say, sorry but we have not looked at you problem yet.

To answer your original question, is this normal? I think not. On the other hand, shit happens. Be glad you found a better shop!

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    And that's the way Im looking at it... some one else will get my money, I do feel lucky I got my money back.

Its the first time in my life of buying guns (probably 30 or so guns in the last 20 yrs) I had ever been treated like this.

I think its been established who the bad gun shop is, the speculation is correct.

And i hope people also get who the gun shop that took good care of me right after is as well. (they are a sponsor here too)

Top Bottom