• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Can you dry fire without disturbing the sights? If so do that 100's of times per week. If not then learn to. When the flash and bang is about to happen though it's only human to flinch and jerk. Here's the trick: stare a hole in the front sight. I mean see the tiny spec of dust on it. Do not look at anything else. Your sight placement will happen subconsciously. Now move the trigger and keep moving it. Don't stop unless the front sight goes out of focus or is misaligned with the notch. Wobble will happen accept it. Raise the gun and usually between 2-6 seconds is the minimum wobble zone. If the shot doesn't break by constant slow but aggressive trigger pull then start over. When the shot breaks pre plan to follow the sight as it raises in recoil. You can often see the brass eject if your doing it right.

Through lots of practice you should keep them in the X ring. Then you're gonna want a better gun to match your skill.

And the shot chart is worthless. It calls out problems but provides no solutions. The reality of it is that the chart should just say, " you suck" if you don't hit the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    thank you very much for the tips.
    I can dry fire without disturbing the sights picture up to 20 times continuously. More than that and my forearm starts to strain and aim starts to wobble. I will practice dry firing more frequently to strengthen my forearm which should help with the jerking. I will try the "stare at a hole method" you suggested in my next range trip.

Can you dry fire without disturbing the sights? If so do that 100's of times per week. If not then learn to. When the flash and bang is about to happen though it's only human to flinch and jerk. Here's the trick: stare a hole in the front sight. I mean see the tiny spec of dust on it. Do not look at anything else. Your sight placement will happen subconsciously. Now move the trigger and keep moving it. Don't stop unless the front sight goes out of focus or is misaligned with the notch. Wobble will happen accept it. Raise the gun and usually between 2-6 seconds is the minimum wobble zone. If the shot doesn't break by constant slow but aggressive trigger pull then start over. When the shot breaks pre plan to follow the sight as it raises in recoil. You can often see the brass eject if your doing it right.

Through lots of practice you should keep them in the X ring. Then you're gonna want a better gun to match your skill.

And the shot chart is worthless. It calls out problems but provides no solutions. The reality of it is that the chart should just say, " you suck" if you don't hit the center.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Let us know how it goes. When you boil it down shooting is 2 things. Put the sights on the target and pull the trigger without moving the sights.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have had a few pistols that I was never really able to get good groups out of. Try swapping with a friends gun and see if you do any better. Some will fit your hand and match your shooting style better than others. I found that the cost of the firearm had little to do with how well I shot it.

If you get a chance try a Walther PPQ. I usually bring one to the range with a few other assorted pistols, and in my observations many non-shooters were able to group better with it than the others I brought like Sigs and CZ pistols. On the flip side, some individuals just seem to shoot them all much better than I do...

bgw45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    D/FW
    There is so much more than just trigger finger placement. Constant grip pressure while only moving the trigger back, anticipatiion-1 by pushing the pistol forward, anticipation-2 by pulling the sights off target when the sight picture is "perfect" and blinking the eyes at ignition. These are just a few.

Practicing bad habits just reinforce bad habits. A new shooter rarely knows what good habits are. Good luck

Top Bottom