Join TexasGunTalk

Sig Romeo5 1x20mm thoughts

Discussion in 'Optics' started by WT_Foxtrot, Apr 6, 2019.

1. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Background.....bought first AR a few years back, off the rack S&W M&P Sport II, and really enjoy it. Pretty much just a fun gun, targets, plinking and maybe the occasional pig or varmint should the opportunity present itself. Nothing other than that....no long range, no deer, etc. Pretty much 100 yards and in.

Always just used the open sights and thinking of putting a red dot or some type of scope on it. While I know quite a bit about the traditional type scope for your standard bolt action deer rifle, I don't know much about the optics for these and what I'm using it for.

Been seeing the above mentioned Sig on sale for $119 at Palmetto and thinking of grabbing one. Question is what does it add over what I'm doing now and does it suit and enhance what I'm using this gun for? Are there better options out there I'm missing? Seemed like a good price for what it is.

I've never even shot an AR with any kind of scope or optics and just wanting to know if I'm on the right path. Thanks for any input.

2. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    A lot to digest...I’ll let others answer and just say if you’re ever in the dfw area I got different rifles you can try and see for yourself.

WT_Foxtrot likes this.
  3. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Thanks Sam...I'm in the madness too. Or at least the outskirts. Might take you up on that.

4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Don’t be shy. Off the top of my head I got an Mcx with a red dot, stag model 1 with irons, and a ruger mpr with a 3-9x40.

5. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    if the optic puts the bullets where the red dot points to you are good to go.

Sam7sf likes this.
  6. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Hahah pretty much. You can really over complicate a guns application these days. There are pros and cons to the three setups. Scope, red dot, and irons. Just gotta shoot and have the optics eye relief set up to you and see what you do well with. when it comes to giving critters a new orifice I’m their worst nightmare with my mini 14 and it’s irons.

7. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Sure, for your application, a red dot would be excellent. Especially if your eye sight isn't what it used to be.
    And the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 is an excellent red dot. You couldn't do any better for the price. I've got one mounted on my PSA AR 15. It has a smaller 2 MOA dot for slightly better accuracy than the 3 MOA dots you find on most other optics in the price range. There is no magnification, but red dots usually have unlimited eye relief.

Once sighted in, where you put the dot is where the bullet goes. A great feature of the Romeo 5 is the auto wake feature. It senses movement and will turn off after 2 minutes when no movement is detected. It instantly turns back on with just the slightest movement.

It will co witness with the MBUS rear sight too, so you can use the open sights as back up.

V-Tach, WT_Foxtrot and Sam7sf like this.
  8. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    One more question....since M&P is the regular model and is not the "optics ready" and it has the rear flip up and front fixed sights, can I just leave the front fixed sights in place and the Sig will still function effectively?

9. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Your current production ar isn’t optics ready as in you don’t have the rings or base to provide you with a height you want? Im not sure what you mean. Most of the red dots out there are high enough you can just put it on your pic rail.

10. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Smith now has what they call an optics ready model of my AR, which as far as I can tell is just the same gun without the sights. Mine of course has them as I described. Pretty much answers it though. Just had read about some people removing the fixed front sight when they installed a red dot and I didn't want to unless I had to since I heard it can be a pain.