• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WavesOfFury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    League City
    Man, am I hot right now... I'm supposed to go shooting tomorrow and haven't yet ordered any bulk .45 for my new 1911. So I figured I'd go pick some up from the Walmart on 45 and 646. I walk in at 11:50pm. Get to the ammo cabinet a couple minutes later, and make sure they have what I need. Then I start the daunting task of finding the person they've deemed competent enough to carry the ammo cabinet key. I ask an overnight stocker if he knows who might have it and he gives me the "I'm don't think you can buy any after midnight." Obviously not the competent person I was looking for... I then track someone down with an actual name tag. Sweet! No. I will say, she was very nice and as helpful as she was able to be though. She went and found a radio and called the manager, who I would assume has the keys and I then heard a definitive: "NO. We can't sell ammo after midnight. It's the LAW." I knew that didn't sound right at all, and I said as much to the helpful woman I talked to, but seeing as I left my Texas law library at home on this particular trip to Walmart, I just admitted defeat and left.

I can't seem to find any documentation of any such law so I'm sure they were just being lazy, but help me out, guys. There's no such law, right?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There's no such law, but it's an internal Walmart policy that they don't sell ammo in the later parts of the night. That being said, I've had a store manager be more than willing to sell me ammo himself at 2 AM at another Walmart ... which I thought was mighty cool of him. I think the cut-off for the local store is 10:00 PM, so it's not too prohibitive of a policy. Just annoying if you're there late.

Probably has more to do with workflow interruption than security, since the sporting section shuts down at 8 - 9 PM. Walmart has warmed up it's gun sentiment the past few years. They even are running promos for bird season.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have bought ammo at all hours at walmart. Only time i have every had a problem at a walmart was when they had the 2 box limit on ammo. And once when the guy that had the keys was on his dinner break but i only had to wait about 10 mins.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Years ago at a friends ranch near Waco, me and a buddy made an ammo run to Walmart just before 1 in the morning. Bought $200 worth of ammo (at the time, that was A LOT) and about $100 worth of beer when we noticed we could still buy for the next few minutes. The cashier noted that it looked like we were gonna have some fun tonight... Shot until about 6am, then put the guns up and drank until about 6pm...I don't do that much anymore...

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I used to buy it there at night but thats also when they used to sell guns there too.

If you live in the area you should go to the walmart in Crosby, much better store.

l3git

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Arlington
    Some store employees including the manager have no idea what they are doing. I went to buy my first rifle(first to own not use by any means) I was 20 at the time. I filled out all the paper work had everything done expect the gun out and checked and what not, he comes back from storage and proceeds to tell me I am not old enough to purchase a rifle. I argued with him for about 20 minutes and then decided that he wasn't ignorant he was in fact dumb which I could not fix so I left. IT's very frustrating when you need/want something and the employee is to lazy to read up and know what they are doing

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I got the same story from one of the walmarts in town one time. I went a few miles down the road to another walmart and didn't have an issue.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Never had a problem with the Walmart in Kemah. Usually do all my shopping through the automotive department, hate the front of those stores. Electronics, Sporting Goods, Hardware and Automotive are all in one corner, easy to park by, get in get out.

Top Bottom