• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'd almost let a sledgehammer hit my open hand before shooting full power 357 out of those.

Almost. I'd rather be alive with a stinging hand than probably dead.
    If you find yourself in a position where you have to use it, adrenaline will take care of any pain that unholy tool of Beelzebub administers to your hand.
    Capitol Armory ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I carry a Smith J-frame double action only .357/.38 with a "hip grip" daily. Easy to get to, and almost invisible under most circumstances. It's a very nice set-up and very comfortable.

real-world-carry-gear-barami-hip-grip.jpg

Attachments

• real-world-carry-gear-barami-hip-grip.jpg
      real-world-carry-gear-barami-hip-grip.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 381

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    If you find yourself in a position where you have to use it, adrenaline will take care of any pain that unholy tool of Beelzebub administers to your hand.
    I will say I wholeheartedly agree. It's why we never feel like we are punched in a fight, the body basically limits sensory info to the brain to only what's needed to accomplish a task that we recognize as life or death.

That doesn't help when the only things to worry about are the paper bad guy and the baseball bat hitting a tree jolt you're are anticipating.

Takes discipline.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I will say I wholeheartedly agree. It's why we never feel like we are punched in a fight, the body basically limits sensory info to the brain to only what's needed to accomplish a task that we recognize as life or death.

That doesn't help when the only things to worry about are the paper bad guy and the baseball bat hitting a tree jolt you're are anticipating.

Takes discipline.

or just train with a steel J-frame.

Any assailant shooting you will be doing will be at contact distance so all you need is very good muscle memory that does not have extreme pain to the shooting hand involved.

One of the many reasons I have a J-frame .22

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I carry a Smith J-frame double action only .357/.38 with a "hip grip" daily. Easy to get to, and almost invisible under most circumstances. It's a very nice set-up and very comfortable.

View attachment 194679

I've quit carrying with my hip-grip and other similar clip due to the LTC requirement for a holster. Have I got that wrong ?
    Guess I need to look up the details...(penalty).

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    To each his own, I have pocket carried the bodyguard 380 and sig p238 with zero weight issues. More rounds then a revolver, faster reloads.
    380 is just as effective as a 38spc. Those springs make it a much better recoil absorbent, and hogue grips make it really easy to use. All for considerably less then those scandium revolvers.

I also used to carry the J-frame 38. Good little guns, but lint magnets they sure were.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    View attachment 194670
    I love mine and carry it all the time. It’s so light that it is my pajama gun. Not sure bout you but my guns are in two categories; group A, guns that I would let go of if the right deal came along, and group B, guns that I’ll have til I die. My scandium J frame is a group B gun.
    -Surfer

As I'm "over the hill" at 76, the only one "forever" is my 4" Python. The Sauer/Krupps was stolen, I gave Daddy's WWII 1911 to a favorite Grandson in Dallas.

I still have several defensive guns, 2 sporting shotguns, and my little Mod 7 in .243Win.

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas !

leVieux

cwmoss

May 10, 2014
    Caldwell
    I had a 360pd til my cousin got her CHL and wanted it to carry, so I let her have it. She loves it. I wanted another J frame, so I got a 351pd in 22mag. I carry that thing all the time. But I missed having a 38 J frame, so I started looking around and found a unique J frame, a 360J. Comes in 38spl. and is as far as I can tell, not cataloged. They are made for Japan and the excess/overrun are sold here. I found a place in Texas that has a few and ordered one, cost was less than $400 before tax.

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I had a 360pd til my cousin got her CHL and wanted it to carry, so I let her have it. She loves it. I wanted another J frame, so I got a 351pd in 22mag. I carry that thing all the time. But I missed having a 38 J frame, so I started looking around and found a unique J frame, a 360J. Comes in 38spl. and is as far as I can tell, not cataloged. They are made for Japan and the excess/overrun are sold here. I found a place in Texas that has a few and ordered one, cost was less than $400 before tax.

They use that as a primary police pistol. Must be a real safe place.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Agreed.

I find it unpleasant to fire full strength .357 from my Python, which must weigh 4X the Scandium's weight, and has a much better grip.

The .38SPL +P should be plenty for the close ranges anticipated.

As I tell "newbies" to C.C. "The best gun is the one which is MOST LIKELY TO BE THERE WHEN NEEDED!"

I once learned from harrowing & sad personal experience that "ANY GUN IS BETTER THAN NO GUN" when I was subject to attempted kidnapping in Houston, just a few months after a Physician-Friend had been kidnapped and murdered !

leVieux

Tex929rr

Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I shot 44 special loads in my 629 for years and really enjoyed it. I bought a Scandium Night Guard in 44 special (I think it’s an L frame), and shooting 25 rounds will wear you out. Nice and light to carry but takes some getting used to shooting it.

The "Scandium" model uses extremely expensive metal alloys to achieve its ultra light weight, considerably less than an Aluminum model, and is terribly expensive .....

leVieux

Sort of.

Scandium is actually heavier than aluminum by volume.

Sc density 2.98
    Al density 2.70

Scandium is a very rare, very expensive metal that is added to aluminum in very small quantities to make very strong aluminum alloy. So when you buy a Scandium gun , you're actually getting an aluminum alloy gun with a trace of scandium.

Your "Scandium" frame is something like 1/400th scandium and 399/400th good marketing!

Top Bottom