• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Sort of.

Scandium is actually heavier than aluminum by volume.

Sc density 2.98
    Al density 2.70

Scandium is a very rare, very expensive metal that is added to aluminum in very small quantities to make very strong aluminum alloy. So when you buy a Scandium gun , you're actually getting an aluminum alloy gun with a trace of scandium.

Your "Scandium" frame is something like 1/400th scandium and 399/400th good marketing!
    Acually it's about 1wt%, which makes it about 150% stronger than aluminum.
    DK Firearms

Acually it's about 1wt%, which makes it about 150% stronger than aluminum.

Cool.
    Thanks.
    I looked. Multiple sites say 0.10% t0 0.50%
    I really have no idea.

My limited experience:

My buddy's Scandium S&W Model 329PD .44 Magnum is just simultaneously awesome and miserable to shoot with full-bore .44mag loads.

They really should come with no front sight to mitigate the discomfort when the wounded brown bear sticks it up your bum!!!!

(:

Last edited:

Blayglock

Aug 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I heard once that a guy with a J-Frame and a reload is the very definition of optimist. I applaud you sir.

I didn’t care for shooting mine personally, but did find it really nice to carry around.

I'm not that smart. A few of you may remember the Hicksville shoot at which this occurred.

From your linked article:

"It weighs less than 12 ounces so there’s no mass to absorb recoil energy; it’s all transferred to the shooters hand."

I'm just musing about Newtonian physics.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here......

I think think that "ALL" pistols transfer all the recoil energy to the shooters hand.

I think the primary variable is the rate at which that energy transfer takes place.

I'm sure the more knowlegable physicists will bring up the differance between the effects of kinetic energy and momentum.

Damn you/bless you Issac Newton.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Correct me if I'm wrong here...
    You're right. I phrased it wrong. Then again, everybody phrases it that way. I think we all know what we're talking about when we say that a heavier gun "soaks up recoil" or some such.

However it's said, I'd love to have an ultra lightweight J-frame in .38 or .357. I doubt I'd ever shoot anything but .38 wadcutters out of it, though.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Sort of.

Scandium is actually heavier than aluminum by volume.

Sc density 2.98
    Al density 2.70

Scandium is a very rare, very expensive metal that is added to aluminum in very small quantities to make very strong aluminum alloy. So when you buy a Scandium gun , you're actually getting an aluminum alloy gun with a trace of scandium.

Your "Scandium" frame is something like 1/400th scandium and 399/400th good marketing!

HKShoter65,

That matters little to me. I have a near-identical "Airweight" Aluminum model in the same caliber. The "Scandium" does feel lighter on direct in-hand comparison.

As these are purely defensive weapons to this Old Man, I rarely shoot them, b/c I figure they will be used at extremely close range for imminent threat. Yes, I do understand the mantra of "training, training, training"; but have a number of others for practice and/or play.

For decades, b/c of my personal interests & occupation, I have talked with hundreds of civilian gun battle survivors and have a pretty good understanding of what goes-on.

We all have the ability to make personal choices in life, I made most of mine, at least the big ones, decades back.

On another matter, I was a U S Army Captain way back when the little "Stoner black rifles" replaced the M14's. Today for immediate home protection, I use Mod 870's instead of rifles. Why? Because I have fired tens of thousands rounds through the type. My M16's are here, but not my first choice.

I tell everyone beginning this: Don't begin C C with a BIG gun. And, prepare to buy, try, and retire many holster rigs before choosing your favorite. You'll wind-up with a closet & safe full of stuff but it'll be worth it.

I know this is a ramble; but I have wondered if a "national holster exchange" might work-out. If it does, we could see a "national wife exchange", in which we could trade beauties and miseries.

BonJour et Bonne Annee, mes Amis !

leVieux

Top Bottom