• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    I took this pistol to the range and it worked beautifully. After getting home I went to clean it and I couldn't get the cylinder to open up so I could unload it, I can't cock the hammer back, seems like it is frozen solid. I am not sure what to do to free it up. Not sure if the safety is messed up and can't see any kind of internal lock mechanism either, at a loss as to what to do? Any suggestions? It is a model 637-1
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 194
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 227

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Take it to a Gunsmith is the obvious answer.

However, I might try to disassemble it first and see if I can fix it myself if I were you. After taking the side place off, you might see what is causing it to stick. Probably find a few videos on youtube on how to do it. Worst case is you still go to the smith, just with a bag of parts and a still broken gun :)

Can you see light between the cylinder and barrel gap?

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Dang that does sound like an internal lock engaged....but your right I don't see a keyhole on your revolver

Last edited:

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Safety? When did S&W DA revolvers start coming with safeties? OK never mind, did a google and found you mean safety lock, anyway... since it doesn't appear yours has one..

Probably have a primer that cratered up and into the firing pin hole jamming the cylinder. With the left hand twist the cylinder in the normal direction of rotation while drawing back on the hammer and shear the primer material off and you should be able to open it up. I had some Hornady critical defense ammo in .357 that would do that, PITA, shot it up and never bought it again.

Last edited:

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Try screwing the rod that the cylinder rotates on in. It could have just come loose from shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you're ever in SA I can look at it for free. I'm no certified gunsmith but I'm intimately familiar with the SW revolver design. I've worked on about a half dozen of them. No big thang.

I will tell you one thing for certain- that gun is going to HAVE to come apart.

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Just loaded the pics. Yeah just twist the part under the barrel clockwise. The textured section

Last edited:

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    How's he gonna do that if the cylinder is closed?

You are intimately familiar with S&W revolvers?

I will tell you one thing for certain- that gun is going to HAVE to come apart.

Advice worth what it costs.

Bump the cylinder on your leg with the release pressed if you have to. Then tighten it. May actually be counter clockwise but it will be obvious.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The rod sticks out underneath,right?

For some reason I was thinking it was a shrouded ejector despite glancing at the pics. If he can turn that thing then go for it. They can be pretty stiff sometimes even when loose.

Last edited:

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Not too sure about that. Screw it in and should be fine. Guess you could take it apart if you wanted for the hell of it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Not too sure about that. Screw it in and should be fine. Guess you could take it apart if you wanted for the hell of it.

If the cylinder is indeed unscrewing itself then screwing it back in without locktite is only going to lead to the problem repeating itself. I've seen this happen twice.

Tap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    You try screwing the rod in like I suggested?

Top Bottom