Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    >
    Thank you !

Guess I was looking at fakes.

Kinda like "falsies" ? But, with snakes. . . . . .
    If they are not "fakes" then proof should exist that shows they are real.

Guiness world records shows one killed in 1946 that measured 7'9" as being the longest, weighing 34 lbs.

Sounds a little like exaggeration, or "stretching" the truth a bit to me.
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If they are not "fakes" then proof should exist that shows they are real.

Guiness world records shows one killed in 1946 that measured 7'9" as being the longest, weighing 34 lbs.

Sounds a little like exaggeration, or "stretching" the truth a bit to me.
    Ross Allen had a bounty on a verifiable 8’ eastern. Never got claimed. Bear in mind back then a lot of folks just killed and ate them. No Internet to get the word out on a bounty;)
    Growing up in Florida I can assure you I have seen many of them well over 7’ and a few that easily would have collected the bounty, but not having a way to transport an 8’+ venomous snake that would weigh 20+ pounds prevented this young snake catcher from even making the attempt.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Ross Allen had a bounty on a verifiable 8’ eastern. Never got claimed. Bear in mind back then a lot of folks just killed and ate them. No Internet to get the word out on a bounty;)
    Growing up in Florida I can assure you I have seen many of them well over 7’ and a few that easily would have collected the bounty, but not having a way to transport an 8’+ venomous snake that would weigh 20+ pounds prevented this young snake catcher from even making the attempt.
    Key word there is "verifiable".

And yes Allen had his bounty for one in the 1950's.

I have no doubt that there might exist one being 8' or even longer, but so far not one has been verified to exist yet.

But 9 foot, or 10 foot and even 13.5 feet is pretty far-fetched and sounds like tall tale.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    If all you're looking for in a gun is to kill snakes, I would probably go with a 410 revolver. Just remember, snakes have their purposes.
    Yes snakes can be dangerous but they eat rodents and rodents are a bigger threat than snakes. Snakes do not create damage or spread diseases like rodents. When I encounter snakes I just push them out of the way with my broomsticks.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had Copperheads on my ranch, but oddly they were not around the house, barn or any of my outbuildings. I did get bit twice LOL, but I know Copperheads quite well and unless you really muck with them they are not aggressive. They are one of the few snakes that can hold back their venom. Yes sadly you lost a dog and I feel for you on that.

I beg to differ on the copperheads assessment. We had a crap ton of them on the farm, and I was chased on several occasions by them. Hard to put a number on how many I killed.

Only snake I truly hate.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I like my little 410/45lc revolver. I load the first 3 with 410 and the last 2 with 45 lc just in case i have to deal with somehting a little larger. Damn hogs.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I beg to differ on the copperheads assessment. We had a crap ton of them on the farm, and I was chased on several occasions by them. Hard to put a number on how many I killed.

Only snake I truly hate.
    Certain times of the year, they can get downright onnery. I have been struck at a few times by copperheads.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    To be fair, I’ve seen some big westerns that I swore were over 6’ or 7’, but were probably a lot closer to 4’ or 5’. A coiled up heavy bodied snake can be deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In 97 or so I shot a western outside of Breckinridge that measured 5’11”. Skinned it and mounted on a cool piece of old barn wood. Gave it to a sweet kid that was admiring it in my pole barn. Hope he still has it. Damned impressive. One round of .38 snake shot in the pie hole. I’m guessing I was about 10 Ft away when I shot it.

Top Bottom