• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So, a buddy at work today asked me about rat shot rounds. They are for his father who mows a lot of property and finds rattlesnakes too often. I vaguely remember people talking about that a couple of years ago. Yes, they don't cycle semi-autos. Yes, I've seen the roll-your-owns with #9's. Yes, CCI makes some. I'm thinking about a .38/.357 mag revolver for him. Anybody had any experience loading for them?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    No experience loading them.
    The CCI stuff will blow a rattlers head off.
    Pattern spreads rapidly due to rifling (inertia)

10 feet is a long shot.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. Stuff I've seen was for 12 feet. Should be good when riding around on a riding mower.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Honestly I would lean toward a Judge/ Governor for that particular task. Or even a youth model .410 shotgun. I used to shoot my kid's single shot like a pistol.

Factory rat shot for normal pistol calibers is junk for any serious work.

I have never loaded my own rat shot. Factory rat shot in 12 gauge is too cheap to bother trying.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've loaded some for .357. Not hard at all but can be time consuming.

Would have to find the powder charge again. Think I remember but don't want to post bad info.

Then it's just cardboard wafer, shot, cardboard, hot glue.

Not very cheap considering I was breaking down shotgun shells to make them.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's about what I read too. Sharpen up a .38 case, drill the primer pocket out and start punching out cardboard.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Punching out those little cardboard wafers was the worst part for me. The cases used for cutting them never seem to last long.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I just buy the Speer plastic shotshell capsules and load with reclaimed shot (7.5 to 9) from Rotometals.
    The charge I use is 5.5gr Unique but I'm sure a lite load of similar powder will do.

The capsules can be loaded to OAL of either .38 SP or .357 Mag. The capsules will hold more shot than just filling a .357 cartridge and topping with cardboard. I do use that technique for my 1895 Nagant revolver as the cases are LOOOOONG and the bullet actually seats inside the case. Powder, cardboard, shot, cardboard then a heavy crimp like the factory.

I usually have to shoot 2 to 4 Copperheads a year around the house and they pi$$ me off when they bite one of my dogs!!!!!!

Other snakes get caught and carried down to the goat barn for rodent patrol.

Don't crimp heavy!!! the capsule will be damaged.

bob

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just buy the Speer plastic shotshell capsules and load with reclaimed shot (7.5 to 9) from Rotometals.
    The charge I use is 5.5gr Unique but I'm sure a lite load of similar powder will do.

The capsules can be loaded to OAL of either .38 SP or .357 Mag. The capsules will hold more shot than just filling a .357 cartridge and topping with cardboard. I do use that technique for my 1895 Nagant revolver as the cases are LOOOOONG and the bullet actually seats inside the case. Powder, cardboard, shot, cardboard then a heavy crimp like the factory.

I usually have to shoot 2 to 4 Copperheads a year around the house and they pi$$ me off when they bite one of my dogs!!!!!!

Other snakes get caught and carried down to the goat barn for rodent patrol.

Don't crimp heavy!!! the capsule will be damaged.

bob

I made from scratch because for the longest time the capsules were out of stock.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have a single shot, break-open .410 shot gun set aside just for rattlesnakes and copperheads.

#4 Shot at close range (inside of 15 feet) has proven to be 100% deadly.

After dispatching the snake, I use a long stick and hoist him on the fence.

Does not take long for the buzzards to carry him off for a nice meal.

Be well.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    I use judge. It's been used to kill over 20 copperheads in 3 year period at my place. Maybe I ran em off now. Have t seen a single snake this year.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Pistol shot shell ammo cost around $1.50 per round and they been easier to find than they used to be. Cabela's and Brownells have some in stock for some calibers right now. If I was getting a gun just for snakes I would go ahead and buy a .410 pistol. While the 38 ratshot works great you do have to get a might bit closer than with .410 and it's a good excuse for getting a new gun.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Guy I know uses snake shot in his Model 686. Don't recall if he has a 4" or 6" barrel. He's killed many a rattlesnake with that revolver.

FrankT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Mary Esther FL
    22, 9mm and 45 are all great out of a handgun, will not cycle but for a snake normally 1 shot is enough or use a revolver. I carry a spare mag at the lease w snakeshot for my 9 or 45 and just load it when I see one and have a 9 shot 22 revolver in my tool box.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Hopefully he's out in the country. Discharging a firearm, no matter the round, isn't legal in most large towns.

naked-man-killing-snake.jpg

Top Bottom