• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have to agree with @oldag on this. When did the IRS become such a dangerous job that such weapons and amounts of ammo that large are needed? When did tax evaders beome dangerous criminals?
    Ever since we lost our freedom during the Whiskey Rebellion...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don’t think the ammo budget is out of whack at all. 5 million rounds spread across 4500 firearms is only ~1100 rounds.

For shits and giggles, our annual training ammo budget was just under 11K rounds for the M4 and 2800 rounds for the M9. Per person. At the squadron level, it was just under 3M rounds per year for about 200 guys just for training.

No, that doesn’t include blanks, allocations for qualification, and operational employment requirements.
    I would be surprised if they use that many rounds in a year.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would be surprised if they use that many rounds in a year.

Ok. I wouldn’t be. Even if there’s only 2,000 gun toters, that’s 2500 rounds/year or 50 rds/week for training, qualification, and operational use. And that’s if there’s only one gun per toter.

We haven’t even talked about anybody going thru FLETC as a new hire yet.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just got to thinking (scary thought), Ben mentioned only an extremely small number of the 87k would be armed.

ETA: Ninja'd (again).
    Still, 2500 rounds is nothing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ok. I wouldn’t be. Even if there’s only 2,000 gun toters, that’s 2500 rounds/year or 50 rds/week for training, qualification, and operational use. And that’s if there’s only one gun per toter.

We haven’t even talked about anybody going thru FLETC as a new hire yet.
    Do you really think the IRS agents spend that much time practicing? I would be surprised.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'd be amazed if it was anything beyond 50 rounds a year to maintain "qualification", just like most police departments. Set a minimum standard and that's all 90% of the organization will bother to do.

Their qualification courses of fire and frequency are publicly available. Qual is done in non-consecutive quarters. For pistol, rifle, shotgun, it’s just about 200 rounds total, twice per year for ~400 rounds needed. With a mulligan for each course of fire, that’s just under 800 rounds that have to be budgeted for.

That’s after FLETC, and I’ll hazard to guess half or more of the ammo allocation goes there.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Their qualification courses of fire and frequency are publicly available.

Yeah, but I appreciate you looking it up - I just peek in here and toss out replies during the day while I'm working. Going down rabbit holes on the clock is dangerous.

I find it interesting that the IRS, of all agencies, actually requires that much from their armed agents. I wonder when the last time one of their agents legitimately discharged their weapon in the course of their duties was.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yeah, but I appreciate you looking it up - I just peek in here and toss out replies during the day while I'm working. Going down rabbit holes on the clock is dangerous.

I find it interesting that the IRS, of all agencies, actually requires that much from their armed agents. I wonder when the last time one of their agents legitimately discharged their weapon in the course of their duties was.

That’s a perception problem, I think. Feds don’t have the budget problems states do and generally expect a higher level of demonstrated performance solely to justify their existing budget allocation(s).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I would add that the agent I know said he never practices outside of the required qualification. Also never expects to use his gun.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wonder when the last time one of their agents legitimately discharged their weapon in the course of their duties was.
    If the arfcom news video I just watched is accurate, it was 8 times last year.

Plus 11 negligent discharges. :(

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would add that the agent I know said he never practices outside of the required qualification. Also never expects to use his gun.

I don’t doubt that. I only know how .gov math can result in a “shocker” number.

Remember, my little Air Force squadron was 3M round annually. 15M for my ASOG, close to 50M rounds of 5.56 and 9mm annually for my wing. Let’s call it 10 CAF Wings so that’s half a billion with a b rounds annually as a line item budget. Annually.

90+% of which never gets shot.

Top Bottom