Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is also this:

From the article:
    - The IRS has stockpiled 4,500 guns and 5 million rounds of ammunition in recent years, including 621 shotguns, 539 long-barrel rifles and 15 submachine guns. If true, an explanation is needed so that conspiracy theories don't multiply.
    The explanation is pretty easy.

4500 guns is a bit more than the number of employees they have who are federal LEOs with arrest authority. Every one of them needs a sidearm. Every unit in every podunk LEA at every level of government has a couple of ARs and a couple of shotguns and no one should make a big deal out of that; that explains the shotguns and rifles.

As for the SMGs, I have no personal knowledge. That few, though, tells me that they're probably all in one or two or three places. I'd guess there's a weapons locker with SMGs at the HQ office and maybe a couple of other locations that are believed to be potential targets for a coordinated attack. SMGs might be useful for that. But I'm just pulling that answer out of my behind; I, too, would like to definitively know where those SMGs are and what role is envisioned for them.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    From the article:

The explanation is pretty easy.

4500 guns is a bit more than the number of employees they have who are federal LEOs with arrest authority. Every one of them needs a sidearm. Every unit in every podunk LEA at every level of government has a couple of ARs and a couple of shotguns and no one should make a big deal out of that; that explains the shotguns and rifles.

As for the SMGs, I have no personal knowledge. That few, though, tells me that they're probably all in one or two or three places. I'd guess there's a weapons locker with SMGs at the HQ office and maybe a couple of other locations that are believed to be potential targets for a coordinated attack. SMGs might be useful for that. But I'm just pulling that answer out of my behind; I, too, would like to definitively know where those SMGs are and what role is envisioned for them.
    If the 4000+ were issued firearms (should have already), why stock another 4500?

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    From the article....

"the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service modified their Glocks with silencers."

Wut?

This is the only one that makes sense. Allows them to put down a sick or injured animal without disturbing the other wildlife.

Border Patrol should have access to the same equipment.....for coyote control, of course....

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    By "stockpile" I believe the article simply means "has in inventory.". They're just looking for scary words, like when the anti-gun folks refer to 3 guns and 500 rounds as an "arsenal."
    You must admit, the ammo inventory is extremely large by any measure.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. But that sort of thing happens in every government agency due to the "spend it all before the end of the fiscal year or else next year you get cut" budgeting.
    Then please explain why the ammo budget is so high. Or if this was from a more general budget line item, why did they choose to spend it on ammo and not something else.

No excuse can be made for this.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Then please explain why the ammo budget is so high. Or if this was from a more general budget line item, why did they choose to spend it on ammo and not something else.

I have no evidence about the motive behind the ammo budget.

It could be some nefarious plot to ensure that the black helicopter pilots never run low.

It could be as simple as some low-level analyst in DC reading about an ammo shortage and deciding to stock up.

I really have no idea but I'm not going to assume bad intent until we know a lot more.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I don’t think the ammo budget is out of whack at all. 5 million rounds spread across 4500 firearms is only ~1100 rounds.

For shits and giggles, our annual training ammo budget was just under 11K rounds for the M4 and 2800 rounds for the M9. Per person. At the squadron level, it was just under 3M rounds per year for about 200 guys just for training.

No, that doesn’t include blanks, allocations for qualification, and operational employment requirements.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I have no evidence about the motive behind the ammo budget.

It could be some nefarious plot to ensure that the black helicopter pilots never run low.

It could be as simple as some low-level analyst in DC reading about an ammo shortage and deciding to stock up.

I really have no idea but I'm not going to assume bad intent until we know a lot more.

I don’t think the ammo budget is out of whack at all. 5 million rounds spread across 4500 firearms is only ~1100 rounds.

For shits and giggles, our annual training ammo budget was just under 11K rounds for the M4 and 2800 rounds for the M9. Per person. At the squadron level, it was just under 3M rounds per year for about 200 guys just for training.

No, that doesn’t include blanks, allocations for qualification, and operational employment requirements.
    I have to agree with @oldag on this. When did the IRS become such a dangerous job that such weapons and amounts of ammo that large are needed? When did tax evaders beome dangerous criminals?

Top Bottom