• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    Sure many of yall were part of the 1500 people that we didn't know that came to Ellington to welcome us home. Someone there that I didn't know referenced this website so got to thinking why not hit it up. We have a 3 day weekend coming up and I'm taking many of the out of state Marines to my place by Marble falls to go hog hunting, that got the conversation rolling but four of the guys were looking for places to go shoot around Houston during a regular weekend, or perhaps even just for an evening. Obviously being Marines they all seem to have ar15/ar10s or some really high end precision marksman rifle.

I know before we started trapping hogs on my grandmothers land we would let people come in and shoot if we knew they would be safe, but being this close to deer season we aren't finding anything local. We are based out of Ellington. Figured I'd throw this up and see if anyone knows of someone with a bad enough hog problem they would let us come and help them out. (if any of you are on other forums I go by yocan on all of them)
    DK Firearms

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Ah hell, American Hoggers hasn't been on the air two weeks yet and the Marines are gonna kill the show. Hot Damn !!! Doin' the work abroad and cleaning up at home too.

Welcome to Texas
    Thanks for your service and
    Good luck with the 4-legged porkers

Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    Ah hell, American Hoggers hasn't been on the air two weeks yet and the Marines are gonna kill the show. Hot Damn !!! Doin' the work abroad and cleaning up at home too.

Welcome to Texas
    Thanks for your service and
    Good luck with the 4-legged porkers
    As someone thats been shooting hogs since he was 8 (took a break went north for college) luck has little to do with it. I've shot them with .22s to 30-06 and 12 gauge slugs. the trick is getting a place to shoot them. Now the owners of the property might wish us luck so we kill more than one a piece...

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Whoah!!!! I know you are trying to be nice and all but please don't host a big shoot or a hog hunt this close to opening day of deer season. Lots of guys in your area have been working all season and spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours filling feeders, fixing stands and getting ready. You will have a lot of very pissed off people if you host a hog hunt or a shoots or otherwise "skunk" opening day.

I am all for helping the troops. Check the impact zone in brookshire. There are local machie gun owners and suppressor vendors that can be rallied to help out an impromptu shoot for a worthy cause.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    As someone thats been shooting hogs since he was 8 (took a break went north for college) luck has little to do with it. I've shot them with .22s to 30-06 and 12 gauge slugs. the trick is getting a place to shoot them. Now the owners of the property might wish us luck so we kill more than one a piece...
    There are a lot of landowners complaining about hog problems but then they want to charge people to hunt their property. Seems counterproductive to me. As I said,

Thank you for your service and good luck with the hunting.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I can highly recommend Terry Allen at Texas Hog Hunting | Southeast Texas Hog Hunts | East Texas Wild Hog Hunts if you are looking for a place where you will surely get hogs and have plenty of chances to get them. I went down there at the beginning of the month with a few friends and well had every opportunity to shoot hogs.

I don't know what he charges just for day hunts, but I know he had guys come in and just hunt during the day. His place is really nice and he is a good dude to deal with..

Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    Whoah!!!! I know you are trying to be nice and all but please don't host a big shoot or a hog hunt this close to opening day of deer season. Lots of guys in your area have been working all season and spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours filling feeders, fixing stands and getting ready. You will have a lot of very pissed off people if you host a hog hunt or a shoots or otherwise "skunk" opening day.

I am all for helping the troops. Check the impact zone in brookshire. There are local machie gun owners and suppressor vendors that can be rallied to help out an impromptu shoot for a worthy cause.
    Good point didn't realize it was in 2 weeks.... so umm yeah... perhaps not the best plan, so anyone know of a place someone would let us shoot hogs after deer season starts? were not talking about 15 guys were talking 2 who would happily use a blind on a feeder. if any of you guys run out of deer tags and therefore free up some land after the first week or two, let me know. But were not talking rapid fire Marines, were talking show up if they shoot one bullet they will kill 1 pig and be ecstatic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    tusksandtines outfitters.com, about 425 for a weekend, lodging and food included, night hunts with nvg and ir. If you can get in this time of year. couple hours north of dfw i believe. They will supply rifles(m16, etc) or you can bring your own. Buddy of mine works there says they got some pretty nice equipment. Also ranges and helicopter hunts if you got the cash.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Check out the Texas hog doggers forum.
    If your guys are into hardcore fun it's the best to be had. I have been a helper in a few wounded warrior hunts and if you can imagine tracking a hog behind curs and at bay releasing 3 pitbulls to "catch" the hog and then rushing in on foot with a knife or straps to live tie a very pissed off 300# hog it's quite a rush. As the say the second hog is better! its quite a thrill.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    People who are willing to spend money are usually more responsible and more respectful of your property.

I see your point but if we're talking no overnight stays (meaning camp fires [when no ban], cooking, waste, etc.) how much damage will hunters do vs the hogs?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have invited people on free hog hunts....some were great. Others left beer cans/bottles on the ground, empty ammo wrappers on the ground and were generally a bit less respectful toward someone elses property.

My rule doesn't always hold true, but people who dont want to invest in their hobby usually dont take it very seriously.

That having been said, I know people that have let returning vets hunt for free and they were great guys.....but as stated it probably wont happen this close to deer season.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I have invited peole on free hog hunts....some were great. Others left beer cans/bottles on the ground, empty ammo wrappers on the ground and were generally a bit less respectful toward someone elses property.

THAT is what chaps me! Had a good friend in Laredo - hunted his place for many years. 12k acres, and I was even allowed access to his Dad's "private" 3k acre section (much to the chagrin of my buddies brother). Why? Because I spent an entire night the first time I came down thawing out his folks' water system that had frozen - then got back up the next morning and did it again (foregoing the morning hunt) because the ranch hands had been too lazy to keep the fire going we'd set up to keep the pipes from freezing again. His folks never forgot that - but to me, it was just "the thing to do." Obviously, many folks would think I was "foolish" for giving up hunt time, but I never gave it a second thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    DFW / Amarillo
    When I was growing up we would mend fence and pick up trash in order to secure a spot to hunt. Generally it was just for the 2 weeks of pheasant season. Some farmers and ranchers that did not hunt would let folks shoot deer too. After I returned from the Marine Corps, you had to have a serious "in" or pay. Assholes (I cannot call them hunters) came in and disrespected the land. They drove across planted crops. They shot cattle. They left trash. They were too stupid to know when the roads were too wet and they would get stuck and leave huge ruts for the farmers/ranchers could fix. Hogs were bad bad on the peanut fields and peanut farmers let people have free rein for a while. Then those people cut fence and got drunk and tore things up. I would not open my land up to anyone that I did not know. There is too much responsibility held by the land owner. I have paid for leases and hunted with buddies. I have a few bird dogs and I have guided for free for outfits and have been allowed to hunt there. There is no such thing as free hunting anymore and we have ourselves to thank.

If you are able to get that free place to go, my advice is to give huge thanks to the landowner, buy the beer for the night, and offer to help in any way you can. That will get you invited back. Good luck and Semper Fi.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    When I was growing up we would mend fence and pick up trash in order to secure a spot to hunt. Generally it was just for the 2 weeks of pheasant season. Some farmers and ranchers that did not hunt would let folks shoot deer too. After I returned from the Marine Corps, you had to have a serious "in" or pay. Assholes (I cannot call them hunters) came in and disrespected the land. They drove across planted crops. They shot cattle. They left trash. They were too stupid to know when the roads were too wet and they would get stuck and leave huge ruts for the farmers/ranchers could fix. Hogs were bad bad on the peanut fields and peanut farmers let people have free rein for a while. Then those people cut fence and got drunk and tore things up. I would not open my land up to anyone that I did not know. There is too much responsibility held by the land owner. I have paid for leases and hunted with buddies. I have a few bird dogs and I have guided for free for outfits and have been allowed to hunt there. There is no such thing as free hunting anymore and we have ourselves to thank.

If you are able to get that free place to go, my advice is to give huge thanks to the landowner, buy the beer for the night, and offer to help in any way you can. That will get you invited back. Good luck and Semper Fi.
    This sums up my sentiments quite nicely.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I guess its where you grew up and how you're raised. I grew up in a town (village) of 1000 people in NW Ohio. Surrounded by corn/bean fields. Everybody knew everybody or knew their Grandpa or something. In HS we would go and find out who owned what land, then go knock on the door ask if we could hunt their land, most said yes, some would've said yes but there were other people already out there hunting.

We NEVER destroyed other peoples stuff. It was just understood not to do that. But we were all country boys who knew what to work for something meant and knew a thing or two about Respect.

And it really sucks to live here and not be able to do that. Texas has turned hunting into a business, and it costs WAY to much. Shit, I could fly roundtrip back home and get an Ohio Permit and hunt, bag a whitetail buck, process and fly back for the cost of a weekend hunt for a deer in Texas.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    2 very amazing statements made in this thread and re-quoted for posterity.

My rule doesn't always hold true, but people who dont want to invest in their hobby usually dont take it very seriously.

I think the same thing can be said of people who don't invest in our country(pay taxes or join the military).

There is no such thing as free hunting anymore and we have ourselves to thank.

So very true.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom