• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    For example, Uncle Bob comes over and get hammered during Thanksgiving and starts cussing at people. I kick him out.

Or

Uncle Bob shows up the following year with a 5th of Jack. I tell him to stow it in his car or he's not coming in.

Were my property rights infringed because government didn't create a legal sign for me and I had to give verbal trespassing notice?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    One more.

I own a convenience store. Unruly high school kids come in and are causing trouble acting like idiots. I tell them to leave.

We're my rights infringed because there's not a sign created by the government to prevent unruly high school kids?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you force me to follow my principles to the letter, then any sign should suffice. Including gunbusters or simply "no guns".

I do feel that having to ask someone verbally to leave after placing signs in visible areas notifying them that I do not want _____ on my property means my property rights have already been infringed by someone when they ignored the sign. I believe the infringement of a right deserves some form of punishment.

Edit to add: I don't believe that removes the ability of the property owner to choose whether or not he wishes the set punishment to be implemented.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You have the right to post a sign and the right to ask someone to leave. You exercises those rights. How were they infringed?

I'm not an expert but this sounds like a civil matter not a criminal one.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Perhaps we should decriminalize it and you could still file suit against the person for any civil claims?

Or maybe I just dislike government involvement in any dispute, lol

I know I'm biased on that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Does that mean if I post a sign that say "keep out" and someone comes in I can shoot them so the gov doesn't need to get involved?

Post 323 I stated that going strictly by my beliefs I don't think a gov designated sign is required. Any sign such as "no alcohol" should suffice in the case of your uncle Bob. If he trespasses it would be up to you to file against him for his trespass immediately, give verbal notice, or ignore his violation.

The problem with civil matters is that it often costs more to make something right than you can win in the suit. Or simply more than you can afford to bring suit against someone. Then it becomes a case of rights only being enforced by the wealthy which has many of it's own issues.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    How is running a business any different than owning a home? If I own property it is mine to do with as I see fit. They may have legislation that restricts that, but they also have restrictions on gun ownership and we argue that is wrong as well.

Homes are private and not open to the public. If you open your property to the public you will have some of the public carrying on your property whether it is posted or not. Some by accident and others because they don't care about your silly sign. If you don't want guns on your property don't open it to the public.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't believe there is any difference between a house on private property and a business on private property. Any difference perceived today is simply do to violations of property rights in the name of political correctness and "fairness ". We have let things go way to far and we have a choice to reverse this course and restore rights
    picard_clapping.gif

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Homes are private and not open to the public. If you open your property to the public you will have some of the public carrying on your property whether it is posted or not. Some by accident and others because they don't care about your silly sign. If you don't want guns on your property don't open it to the public.
    It doesn't have anything to do with guns or any other specific object.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

"Open to the public" and "public property" are two different things. A public park is both open to the public and public property. A private business open to the public is just that: private property where the public is invited onto the premises for specific reasons and actions. Just like the "no food or drinks in store" signs aren't legally binding, they help a private business owner provide notice (but aren't required), and that private business owner has the ability to ask that person to leave and, failing that person doing so, to have their wishes legally enforced (under general Criminal Trespass laws).

I'd support simply repealing 30.06/07, removing the handgun language from 30.05, and reverting back to Criminal Trespass laws. Signs then have no force of law, there's no criminal offense until you're asked to leave and don't, and the owner maintains the right to use the law to make it a criminal offense to return (Criminal Trespass Warning) since you've been given notice.

Pretty simple, demonstrably effective, and already in place.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I'd support simply repealing 30.06/07, removing the handgun language from 30.05, and reverting back to Criminal Trespass laws. Signs then have no force of law, there's no criminal offense until you're asked to leave and don't, and the owner maintains the right to use the law to make it a criminal offense to return (Criminal Trespass Warning) since you've been given notice.

Me too.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    "Open to the public" and "public property" are two different things. A public park is both open to the public and public property. A private business open to the public is just that: private property where the public is invited onto the premises for specific reasons and actions. Just like the "no food or drinks in store" signs aren't legally binding, they help a private business owner provide notice (but aren't required), and that private business owner has the ability to ask that person to leave and, failing that person doing so, to have their wishes legally enforced (under general Criminal Trespass laws).

Pretty simple, demonstrably effective, and already in place.

Don't start in with the common sense now... :what:

TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    The business is public, but the property is usually still private. Would you like it if some $#@! from the state (or God forbid, federal) government told you what you -have- to allow on your property lest you face fines/charges/penalties? I don't $#@!in' think so.

Uh..they already do. Helloooo, Americans with Disabilities Act.

Private businesses are not immune from government regulations about what they can or cannot do on/with their own property.

TRG

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Doesn't the ADA simply state that the building must be handicap/wheelchair accessible (honest question, because I have no idea)? Far fuckin' leap from that to .gov saying that you -MUST- allow licensed citizens to carry on your property.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The ADA is an infringement as well. Just something done in the name of political correctness.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    The ADA is an infringement as well. Just something done in the name of political correctness.

I'm a bit torn on this one. Obviously, it's keeping people from discriminating against the handicapped, but one has to wonder if that isn't a business owner's right? Now that businesses require all sorts of licenses, I'd have to say no, it's not their right - they're agreeing to open a business under the conditions of equal access, so they accepted the requirements.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I could agree, if they were allowed to open an unlicensed business and not agree. It seems even the right to have a business has been infringed.

I do believe a business has the right to discriminate however they wish.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Does that mean if I post a sign that say "keep out" and someone comes in I can shoot them so the gov doesn't need to get involved?

You have free will. The choice has always been yours to make. But there's still consequences.

Murder has always been a crime and would be tried in a criminal court if you were suspected. Even if there were no criminal court you would also still have any civil wrongful death cases to deal with.

It could work with no government at all as well but that would sideline this entire thread.

Post 323 I stated that going strictly by my beliefs I don't think a gov designated sign is required. Any sign such as "no alcohol" should suffice in the case of your uncle Bob. If he trespasses it would be up to you to file against him for his trespass immediately, give verbal notice, or ignore his violation.

I understand. You're also saying that the 30.06 and 30.07 signs are unnecessary and that not having them shouldn't be an infringement under different circumstances.

The problem with civil matters is that it often costs more to make something right than you can win in the suit. Or simply more than you can afford to bring suit against someone. Then it becomes a case of rights only being enforced by the wealthy which has many of it's own issues.

I think it also makes people weigh what's important and let it go if it isn't. Something to consider. I wish there were more options for mediation and less government.

Too much incarceration and wasted money for things that aren't a big deal.

Top Bottom