• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Ok... So I am used to running around in V8s.. I have never had a "need" for more power, it has always been a gas pedal stomp away. I recently went the good gas mileage route and picked up a 2001 Honda Civic 1.7L (Hurrah for half of an engine...) It is a gutless wonder but gets, great gas mileage (which I LOVE). I would like a few more pony's than what I have now. I believe it is rated for 117hp. I know horsepower typically doesn't come cheap and there is probably little room for improvement on this puny little machine. I REFUSE to make it look or sound like one of these faggy little rice rockets that you see ruining everyone's good day. I just want a little more usable HP.

I can fix and repair about anything on a car, but I know little as far as making improvements, much less, where to start for hp gains. I feel like intake's are really just a placebo.. correct me if I am wrong though. K&N spends a ton of money on advertisements which is a red flag for me. so what else is there? I don't want to spend a ton of money. ===I'm sure you're rolling your eyes===

It just needs a bit more scoot. I would feel comfortable around the 150HP mark (If that is even remotely feasible) The engine and tranny are very tight, no slop at all. Purrs like a kitten. It is an automatic though.

My big thing is that I HATE entering a hwy or interstate and not being close to speed at the end of the on ramp... I feel like someone is going to park in my trunk. I didn't have that fear in my other car because I could be doing 90 as I enter whereas I am only doing 40 in the civic.

Anyways, any help or ideas would be great. If I am screwed and stuck with what I have (which I am expecting) so be it. The notion of this is probably all just a fantasy anyway.

Thanks!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I REFUSE to make it look or sound like one of these faggy little rice rockets that you see ruining everyone's good day.[

Thanks!
    No, thank YOU!

I bet your biggest hurdle is that tranny but I'm no mechanic. Good luck.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Intakes do help a little, and I mean a little. To me they compliment more serious mods. A turner might get you the best results. But I am by no means an expert on half engines.
    I will ask my brother for you he's into the import tuner thing. (not annoying fart can cars). See what he has too say.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Honest opinion? New car. You aren't going to get the power you want from your car with simple bolt ons and a tune. You are going to need to go turbo unless you want to tear into the motor with cams ect ect. Which costs money. Before my Jetta TDI, I had a silverado that I built. 440 stroker, donkey dick cam, and a turbo that would move so much air it could put a jet turbine engine to shame. Put down 1200hp to the wheels, limited by my fueling system, could have been in the 1400-1500rwhp range otherwise. So, I have a bit of a background when it comes to making stuff go fast. My opinion is either leave it as is, or just buy something thats faster from factory, which is cheaper and easier.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Intakes do help a little, and I mean a little. To me they compliment more serious mods. A turner might get you the best results. But I am by no means an expert on half engines.
    I will ask my brother for you he's into the import tuner thing. (not annoying fart can cars). See what he has too say.

That would be cool, I know the little engines are pretty limited for power unless you go the turbo route, which I don't want to do.

Honest opinion? New car. You aren't going to get the power you want from your car with simple bolt ons and a tune. You are going to need to go turbo unless you want to tear into the motor with cams ect ect. Which costs money. Before my Jetta TDI, I had a silverado that I built. 440 stroker, donkey dick cam, and a turbo that would move so much air it could put a jet turbine engine to shame. Put down 1200hp to the wheels, limited by my fueling system, could have been in the 1400-1500rwhp range otherwise. So, I have a bit of a background when it comes to making stuff go fast. My opinion is either leave it as is, or just buy something thats faster from factory, which is cheaper and easier.

I suspected that is likely the issue. sounds to me like you understand what it takes. I needed better gas mileage more than anything but I was hoping I could squeeze this engine for a bit more than it is expressing. I'm into this car for dirt nothin and Its clean all around with some minor clear coat issues. I would love something different but I don't have the funds for it and it got me out of my gas guzzler and I was able to stick some coin in pocket because of it.

Super or Turbo charger

Nah, if I want to spend 2-3k for that I will go find something else.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, all the bolt on stuff is pretty much not worth the money. You could spend $1500 on exhaust, intake, and tune and maybe gain 8% hp and probably a negligible amount of torque. Not enough to make any real world difference in terms of driveability. A turbo on the other hand, will make a very noticeable difference. I can understand not wanting to go that route, however... The car is not really worth the trouble ;)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    You bought the wrong car. Any money saved on fuel will/is quickly being spent on everything else. I have owned many Honda's but the Accord was always my favorite. A V6 Accord is what you should have bought.

Holden6v8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2013
    Hill Country
    Best bang for the buck is an ECU upgrade. Most are flash these days, not a true chip change. Good ones give the option of going to higher octane gas, which is more expensive but give even more power. You should be looking at well over 15% increase in power, even staying with an 87 octane tune. Google is your friend here. If you go to 91 or 93 you should get at least 20% increase and mileage doesn't usually suffer as you are simply extracting more from the gas. Remember that all engines from the factory have to be able to run on 87 so there is usually a compromise on power and timing, etc, to allow that. Going up on octane works. My 4cyl audi got 40 hp from chipping only.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Best bang for the buck is an ECU upgrade. Most are flash these days, not a true chip change. Good ones give the option of going to higher octane gas, which is more expensive but give even more power. You should be looking at well over 15% increase in power, even staying with an 87 octane tune. Google is your friend here. If you go to 91 or 93 you should get at least 20% increase and mileage doesn't usually suffer as you are simply extracting more from the gas. Remember that all engines from the factory have to be able to run on 87 so there is usually a compromise on power and timing, etc, to allow that. Going up on octane works. My 4cyl audi got 40 hp from chipping only.

Your audi is also a turbo application, not an N/A application.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    HP-Background.jpg

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Yeah, all the bolt on stuff is pretty much not worth the money. You could spend $1500 on exhaust, intake, and tune and maybe gain 8% hp and probably a negligible amount of torque. Not enough to make any real world difference in terms of driveability. A turbo on the other hand, will make a very noticeable difference. I can understand not wanting to go that route, however... The car is not really worth the trouble ;)

If I could afford a turbo, I might do something like that just to have fun with the car. It could be a fun little track car in the way it handles... just needs some umph.

You bought the wrong car. Any money saved on fuel will/is quickly being spent on everything else. I have owned many Honda's but the Accord was always my favorite. A V6 Accord is what you should have bought.

Youre absolutely right. I couldnt pass with car up for $1500 though.

I run high octane in this car, just because I can justify doing it when compared to the money I was spending in my other car.. The difference in a tank of 87vs93 is a couple of bucks. I may look into a chip though. I know adjusting the the timing and all that good stuff would make a big difference in my old car, the same could be true here.. Like I said though, Im pretty clueless in area of the vehicle world.

Just slap some stickers on it and it'll be good.

I did that with my old bmx bike growing up. I didn't go any faster.

Ill give it a look over!

:rolleyes: lol

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom