• Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Take a look at this thread:
    Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

Specifically, the guy "HighwayLizard". He's done a LOT of stuff over the years about making more better fuel economy (more power which means less load on the engine).

As soon as I sit down for a bit, Ill give that a read through. Sounds pretty doable with this car. Gains or not, I like to tinker. appreciate the direction and info once again!

Just had a thought ... I'm relatively sure your car had electric fans from the factory, but if it does NOT, then getting rid of the clutch fan will free up horsepower and give MPG a boost.

2 stage Electric fans in this little guy

you lost me at "Honda";)

lol... I lost me at Honda
    Capitol Armory ad

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I was making a comparison by exaggerating the points, you clearly didn't catch onto that. No shit my car is can run faster than 40 on a ramp, its the fact that it struggles to get up to highway speeds to match other drivers is what I am getting at. My other car cant reach 90 on an entrance ramp either. If you are going to chime and be a prick about it, please piss off.

Lulz. My silverado, on big drag radials, and on the progressive boost controller, could do about 140ish on the on ramp

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Just had a thought ... I'm relatively sure your car had electric fans from the factory, but if it does NOT, then getting rid of the clutch fan will free up horsepower and give MPG a boost.

Transverse motors aka front wheel drive will always have electric fans.

A good tri-y header might give you what you're looking for, assuming the Honda isn't already a decent design.

I think a custom tune (do they do those on these) would be the best bang for the buck.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Here is a cold air setup that WORKS: Cold Air Fab and Install Part I - II "Trash Air" CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ | SavageSun4x4 | SavageSun Engineering

""Trash Air" a Low-Buck Mod
    Discussion:
    Getting cold air into your engine is not just important, it is critical and becomes more so if you are a rock crawler and or live in the warmer climes.

The other day I friend of mine bought an old CJ5, one owner and ALL original. Now it is in fairly rough shape, been sitting up for way too many years, does not run, but does have a straight body and he bought it right.

I went over to look at and noticed a very interesting item. The original air intake was hooked up to the backside of the headlight bucket. This became the genesis of this project."

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    One simple mod you can do which makes a difference is tire size. I have an `02 civic & went from the std size tread, 65 series sidewall, down to a 50 series sidewall. This lowers, or raises depending on your viewpoint, the final gearing ratio & improves the torque. It made a real difference in the car's acceleration. You'll give up some ground clearance but you'll feel the difference in how the car accelerates. I don't have a chip in mine but I have been in a couple of the cars with chips, you can tell a difference.
    I'm thinking probably adding a chip to my car as well as leaving the 50 series sidewall tread on the car, that should be a reasonable improvement on the car's performance.

Add edit: in changing the tire size, you will not give up any fuel economy, drive it normally & you'll see a tiny gain.
    Have 'fun' with the car and you should retain your original mileage. My civic ( 5-speed) does this with the tire change, drive it normal and the mileage stays the same or gains a bit.
    Also if you change to 50 series sidewall, keep the air pressure in the tires at 40 psi, you will pick up some mileage and your tire life will double if you rotate regularly front to back. RUN THIS LEVEL OF AIR PRESSURE ONLY ON DECENT DRY PAVEMENT, NOT IN THE WET!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. Hit the wet with 40 psi in the tires and the car slides like it's on greased boogers. in the wet no higher than 35 psi..........ask me how I know this..........

Last edited:

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Here is a cold air setup that WORKS: Cold Air Fab and Install Part I - II "Trash Air" CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ | SavageSun4x4 | SavageSun Engineering

""Trash Air" a Low-Buck Mod
    Discussion:
    Getting cold air into your engine is not just important, it is critical and becomes more so if you are a rock crawler and or live in the warmer climes.

The other day I friend of mine bought an old CJ5, one owner and ALL original. Now it is in fairly rough shape, been sitting up for way too many years, does not run, but does have a straight body and he bought it right.

I went over to look at and noticed a very interesting item. The original air intake was hooked up to the backside of the headlight bucket. This became the genesis of this project."

I have plenty of room to redirect my intake to a better/cooler spot. Thats a cool idea for the jeeps

One simple mod you can do which makes a difference is tire size. I have an `02 civic & went from the std size tread, 65 series sidewall, down to a 50 series sidewall. This lowers, or raises depending on your viewpoint, the final gearing ratio & improves the torque. It made a real difference in the car's acceleration. You'll give up some ground clearance but you'll feel the difference in how the car accelerates. I don't have a chip in mine but I have been in a couple of the cars with chips, you can tell a difference.
    I'm thinking probably adding a chip to my car as well as leaving the 50 series sidewall tread on the car, that should be a reasonable improvement on the car's performance.

Add edit: in changing the tire size, you will not give up any fuel economy, drive it normally & you'll see a tiny gain.
    Have 'fun' with the car and you should retain your original mileage. My civic ( 5-speed) does this with the tire change, drive it normal and the mileage stays the same or gains a bit.
    Also if you change to 50 series sidewall, keep the air pressure in the tires at 40 psi, you will pick up some mileage and your tire life will double if you rotate regularly front to back. RUN THIS LEVEL OF AIR PRESSURE ONLY ON DECENT DRY PAVEMENT, NOT IN THE WET!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. Hit the wet with 40 psi in the tires and the car slides like it's on greased boogers. in the wet no higher than 35 psi..........ask me how I know this..........

Ill look into that.

Ive noticed that wet ground is no friend of the civic... how did you find out?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good suspension and brakes, at least for me, is one of the most enjoyable mods on any car. One thing worth considering starting with, if you're going to keep the car.

Honestly, if you want significantly more power, I'd recommend going with another car. There is just no getting around small displacement. Anything 2.0l or under is pretty much below that threshold, IMO, that is just too small to really deliver a decent balance of all around performance. You're never going to have torque worth a damn, and exhaust mods almost always make Honda's sound like crap. With a really quiet exhaust, but intake mods, sometimes they can sound halfway decent, but it's REALLY easy to make them sound ridiculous. The other downside no one talks about is, with such a small and highly strung motor that lacks torque, you have to utilize a higher percentage of that motor to do a sufficient degree of the work. Not enough torque = Using more of the engine to make up for it = Worse gas mileage.

Turbos are pretty much the most versatile power adder. With a proper electronic boost controller, you can usually have presets for multiple boost levels. Low boost for daily driving, mid-range boost for when you want to have fun, high boost for maybe when you're running race gas, etc. Turbos are also a torque amplifier, and the way they spool, on boost and while spooling, it can make a car feel like it is pulling insanely hard in comparison to all motor or superchargers. Take a look at some turbo dynos. Within the span of several hundred to a thousand RPM, you can see a huge gain in power from no boost to whatever boost pressure you're running. All motor is typically spread out over time. The other benefit with turbos is, with a high enough boost threshold (basically no positive boost until ~2.5-3k), it's easy to drive around most of the day while staying out of boost almost completely which is great for gas mileage.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Whether cold air intakes make a difference or not depends entirely on the vehicle. Many modern cars already have pretty efficient intakes and putting on some poorly thought out ricer part can make it worse. You have to look at your specific application and see if it'll actually work for you. You also don't want to build something that will get your engine hydrolocked if you drive through a puddle. A buddy of mine had a really nice cold air intake on his eclipse that drew air from a high pressure area on his lower bumper. Worked great until we had a really hard rain and he drove through a few inches of water :rolleyes:

Atticus's point about the tires is spot on... I don't really mess with engine mods because there's so little to gain for your effort these days, but a lighter and smaller diameter wheel/tire combo can make a pretty noticeable difference to handling, braking, and acceleration. Shedding unsprung weight really wakes up low horsepower cars.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I have lived Honda for the last 20 years. There ies nothing you can do for that car to get noticeable power increases without spending more than you paid for the car. And in doing that you will most likely greatly reduce reliability.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Don't forget that messing with tire size will throw your speedometer off and shift points off. How much depends on how far off of factory size you go.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Don't forget that messing with tire size will throw your speedometer off and shift points off. How much depends on how far off of factory size you go.

I knew it will throw off the speedo, but I didnt know it would mess with shift points

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Whether cold air intakes make a difference or not depends entirely on the vehicle. Many modern cars already have pretty efficient intakes and putting on some poorly thought out ricer part can make it worse. You have to look at your specific application and see if it'll actually work for you. You also don't want to build something that will get your engine hydrolocked if you drive through a puddle. A buddy of mine had a really nice cold air intake on his eclipse that drew air from a high pressure area on his lower bumper. Worked great until we had a really hard rain and he drove through a few inches of water :rolleyes:

Atticus's point about the tires is spot on... I don't really mess with engine mods because there's so little to gain for your effort these days, but a lighter and smaller diameter wheel/tire combo can make a pretty noticeable difference to handling, braking, and acceleration. Shedding unsprung weight really wakes up low horsepower cars.

I was reading about a good handful of guys hydrolocking their cars because of the placement of their CAI... I have a hard time understanding how some people don't see things like that coming.

I have been wanting to get a set of rims for it. I hate the factory hub cap crap... looks so cheap and half ass.

Ill do some heavy research on that area. It is already fun to corner in... Im sure it could be made even more fun with a little alteration.

Last edited:

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Good suspension and brakes, at least for me, is one of the most enjoyable mods on any car. One thing worth considering starting with, if you're going to keep the car.

Honestly, if you want significantly more power, I'd recommend going with another car. There is just no getting around small displacement. Anything 2.0l or under is pretty much below that threshold, IMO, that is just too small to really deliver a decent balance of all around performance. You're never going to have torque worth a damn, and exhaust mods almost always make Honda's sound like crap. With a really quiet exhaust, but intake mods, sometimes they can sound halfway decent, but it's REALLY easy to make them sound ridiculous. The other downside no one talks about is, with such a small and highly strung motor that lacks torque, you have to utilize a higher percentage of that motor to do a sufficient degree of the work. Not enough torque = Using more of the engine to make up for it = Worse gas mileage.

Turbos are pretty much the most versatile power adder. With a proper electronic boost controller, you can usually have presets for multiple boost levels. Low boost for daily driving, mid-range boost for when you want to have fun, high boost for maybe when you're running race gas, etc. Turbos are also a torque amplifier, and the way they spool, on boost and while spooling, it can make a car feel like it is pulling insanely hard in comparison to all motor or superchargers. Take a look at some turbo dynos. Within the span of several hundred to a thousand RPM, you can see a huge gain in power from no boost to whatever boost pressure you're running. All motor is typically spread out over time. The other benefit with turbos is, with a high enough boost threshold (basically no positive boost until ~2.5-3k), it's easy to drive around most of the day while staying out of boost almost completely which is great for gas mileage.

I would have loved a different car, but Ill drive this until the wheels fall off just because I am into it for so little.

I am very sound picky so if it isn't silent in this case... I am not interested. 4 bangers just sound plain odd to me.

Apparently, the turbo application for this specific motor is VERY limited... at least that is what I gathered from some reading. The most recommended modification for this motor is a cam replacement next to CAI.

Great info though. I appreciate it. Gives me a few more places to explore.

I know I am probably just wasting my time even bothering with the car, but in all honesty, I am learning about an area of the car world that I was FULLY unfamiliar with and lacked a ton of respect for. I still have NO respect for anything turned into Uncle Ben's. But there is clearly a line of difference in what is done wrong and right with these little cars.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Take a look at this thread:
    Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

Specifically, the guy "HighwayLizard". He's done a LOT of stuff over the years about making more better fuel economy (more power which means less load on the engine).

Good way to hydrolock your engine during a heavy rain in this area. I've even had one Mazda through the shop with a bumper-sourced CAI that spit a rod through the block when it sucked up water. Any gains from that would be minimal, and if you want MPG, hotter air should actually be the way to go (more throttle opening for the same power and amount of air = lower intake vacuum = less engine power used to suck air past the throttle).

Honestly, not much upstream of the throttle on an NA car is going to do dick for HP or MPG on a modern car. All people wind up doing is getting placebo from loud intakes (if it sounds more powerful, it is, right? Same thing with most cat-backs - you're going to find all the power at the cat and manifold), and substandard filters (screw you, K&N, your filters are garbage).

IMO, Kyle, if you want more power, it's going to be either forced induction or internal engine work with at least cam(s), maybe some port work (though most modern cars have awesome port designs), headers and cat delete and then having someone who knows what they're doing tune it to run right. For real gains, you'll probably wind up in the bottom end with stronger rods and better pistons to be able to spin everything faster.

Bolt-ons are pretty worthless for your Honda, it's the sad truth. You might spend a few hundred bucks and pick up 10 horses, but that's pretty optimistic, IMO.

You want to get a more fasterer car cheap? Gut it. Lose all the weight the car doesn't need - carpeting, headliner, start removing parts of doors, etc. Of course, it'll be a lot louder, a bit warmer (losing the AC would make a big difference, too!) and a lot less comfortable if you go that route. :p

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I'm no expert, or tuner guy, but I own a subaru STi, and a VW GTI before that, and I know a little. First thing to start with is to open up the intake and the exhaust (if necessary) to make it flow better, but (on my car, and I would assume on just about any other) you have to tune the ECM (the computer that controls the engine) for the new mods you add. Otherwise you won't get the benefit of the mods, and you run a high risk (depending on how much of a change the mod makes) of fucking up your engine. Sometimes stock computer can't handle the big changes, caused by some mods.

Get on a forum for your car and read read read. Find out what you need to get access to the ECM (sometimes just a cable and a laptop will work, other times you need a gizmo), sometimes you can "chip" it, but whatever it is, find out how to make changes to the ECM, and then find out who can tune your car for the mods you want to add. Once you add the mods, you'll need a new "map" for the ECM so the engine will run safely and take advantage of the mods. You don't want to drive the car till it's been tuned for the new mods. (that is unless the mod doesn't make that much of a huge change, and the computer/stock map can compensate without a new tune. But you're not likely to feel much of a difference in power with a mod like that. )

So read up on what mods are available and find out who can do the tune for you after you add them. Sometimes manufactures will provide Off The Shelf OTS maps you can download and use to reflash your ECM after you add the mod so you don't have to go to a tuner. (A custom tune will always be better, but also more expensive) You can also find tuners that will make a new map for you over email. You'll drive your car and log data from the ECM then send it to them, and they will analyze it and make a new map for you and email it to you. (that's assuming your car is safe to drive with the new mod installed without needing a new map)

I just added a new intake, and I'm about to add a down pipe (open up the exhaust) and put new fuel pump and injectors in the STi, and I'm going to have it professionally tuned. Hoping to see maybe 60-70 more hp at the wheels. Can't do too much more than that without risking piston failure on the stock engine unfortunately. I'm thinking of buying a short block and building it to hold 400whp, then doing a motor swap, and then rebuilding the stock engine the same way. This will give me two strong motors, and worst case if I blow one up, it'll cost me labor to swap engines and then I just rebuild the blown one to hold even more power. That's the plan anyway.

Probably someone on here knows a lot more than I do. But you can't just add parts and expect it to go faster. You have to make the computer work safely with the new parts and take advantage of them. Sometimes can do that on it's own (like a drop in K&N filter), but don't expect big increases in power from that.

-edit-

(didn't see Sage's response - I don't know anything about hondas btw)

Last edited:

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Good way to hydrolock your engine during a heavy rain in this area. I've even had one Mazda through the shop with a bumper-sourced CAI that spit a rod through the block when it sucked up water.

Just put a short ram intake with a box around it that keeps it somewhat isolated from the rest of the engine, but it's not down in the fender well (or bumper) like the CAI's I've seen. Still it gets fed with a scoop thingy that gets air from just under the front of the hood. I worry about water going through there and getting on the filter, and then getting sucked in. (the thing does make a huge suction sound, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sucked in any water that made it's way onto the filter itself...)

Do you know if that guy went threw a puddle or standing water or was it just spray getting on the filter from driving on wet roads?

I see guys running exposed short ram intakes on their bikes all the time. Hell some bikes even come stock that way. I wonder what happens in a down pour?

This has some metal around the filter, but it doesn't look like it would stop water from getting on the filter in a heavy rain. That's a $30K+ bike...
    13-hd-cvo-road-glide-custom-bs.jpg

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I am somewhat amazed at some things I have read on here. In my early life I was an automotive engineer, I raced on the IHRA circuit was a temp holder of C Sports 1/4 record (about a weekend back in those halcyon days when records were falling like rain from the sky). I built engines and transmissions.

That said allow me to clarify a few things:

1) Hotter air does not generate more HP. If it did we would not use on intercoolers on Superchargers, instead we would run radiator water thru them. Hot is less dense, less O2 hence less HP

2) Smaller diameter tires will increase performance. Its called a poor mans differential regear. Be cautious as some folks get carried away and end up putting a lot of stress on the engine as a result. Smaller tires give the effect of a lower final drive ratio. It will also give a boost in transmitted torque and move it lower of operating range. But you are not operating higher into the rpm band. You fuel mileage will most likely suffer as a result. This is because the tire just does not roll as far for the same given speed as it did before and it pushes the rpms up to drive the same speeds, say 65 mph. On RARE, very RARE occasions its possible to see a slight increase in mpg on a slightly small tire. This can be the result of going higher into the torque curve of the engine, thus the engine is not working as hard. But for stock unaltered autos this is rare.

3) Hydro locking due to water ingestion: Yes it can and does happen, thus you must be cautious before running that hose down at ground level...you blew the engine not because it hydrolocked but because you were stupid and that resulted in the effect. CAI does increase power that is a fact. That said I have evaluated quite a few systems and I found few that did what they were intended to do. In fact some not only do nothing but actually do more harm than good due to poor design, incorrect materials, and improper placement of the air intake in the engine compartment.

There is a LOT of fact and fiction, but on race day those who came to race are those who came to win. I paid my dues in the pits at trackside and like someone said if you really want to take that Honda to the next level then be prepared to spend next level money. As we said in the race game 'there is no substitute for cubic inches or cubic money'. I would stick with a good tune job by someone who understand how to find that few HP that can be had with a few tricks in the tuning, low restriction air cleaner. What you are faced with is picking up 1 hp here and 1 there thru improved efficiencies. About the best you can do in a stock config is somewhere between 5 and about max of 10% increase in power. My guess is you live down here in Texas, here is a little trick that can add to you stack of hp gains. Pickup a bottle of Water Wetter, it goes by various names, but I have used that one. What it does is increase the efficiency of the radiator water to conduct heat. The effect is your engine will run cooler, as much as 5-10 degrees. Not much, but enough to contribute to the overall efficiency of the engine which results in improved power. It all adds up, just make sure you add the right things...best of luck.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just put a short ram intake with a box around it that keeps it somewhat isolated from the rest of the engine, but it's not down in the fender well (or bumper) like the CAI's I've seen. Still it gets fed with a scoop thingy that gets air from just under the front of the hood. I worry about water going through there and getting on the filter, and then getting sucked in. (the thing does make a huge suction sound, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sucked in any water that made it's way onto the filter itself...)

Do you know if that guy went threw a puddle or standing water or was it just spray getting on the filter from driving on wet roads?

I see guys running exposed short ram intakes on their bikes all the time. Hell some bikes even come stock that way. I wonder what happens in a down pour?

This has some metal around the filter, but it doesn't look like it would stop water from getting on the filter in a heavy rain. That's a $30K+ bike...
    13-hd-cvo-road-glide-custom-bs.jpg

"Spray" isn't going to amount to enough to hydrolock an engine. Old mechanic's trick to de-carbon an engine is to warm it up and let it run as you carefully spray or drizzle water into the carb. These people are running through high water or deep puddles. You practically have to submerge the intake, but like I said, that's not too hard to do in this area when you get a serious downpour. I was goofing off when I did it, but my Outback's been through water/mud deep enough that the door seals were keeping the floor pan dry.

Not many people ride those bikes in downpours, and some of those intake setups have a hole at the bottom rear area of the scoop for water to exit.

I am somewhat amazed at some things I have read on here. In my early life I was an automotive engineer, I raced on the IHRA circuit was a temp holder of C Sports 1/4 record (about a weekend back in those halcyon days when records were falling like rain from the sky). I built engines and transmissions.

That said allow me to clarify a few things:

1) Hotter air does not generate more HP. If it did we would not use on intercoolers on Superchargers, instead we would run radiator water thru them. Hot is less dense, less O2 hence less HP

If you're talking about what I said, I was talking about mileage in response to the link to some guy adding a cold air/ram air intake to try getting better mileage (and to the people saying that CAIs increase HP and MPG). One beauty of closed loop fuel management is that less dense air increases fuel economy.

2) Smaller diameter tires will increase performance. Its called a poor mans differential regear. Be cautious as some folks get carried away and end up putting a lot of stress on the engine as a result. Smaller tires give the effect of a lower final drive ratio. It will also give a boost in transmitted torque and move it lower of operating range. But you are not operating higher into the rpm band. You fuel mileage will most likely suffer as a result. This is because the tire just does not roll as far for the same given speed as it did before and it pushes the rpms up to drive the same speeds, say 65 mph. On RARE, very RARE occasions its possible to see a slight increase in mpg on a slightly small tire. This can be the result of going higher into the torque curve of the engine, thus the engine is not working as hard. But for stock unaltered autos this is rare.

3) Hydro locking due to water ingestion: Yes it can and does happen, thus you must be cautious before running that hose down at ground level...you blew the engine not because it hydrolocked but because you were stupid and that resulted in the effect. CAI does increase power that is a fact. That said I have evaluated quite a few systems and I found few that did what they were intended to do. In fact some not only do nothing but actually do more harm than good due to poor design, incorrect materials, and improper placement of the air intake in the engine compartment.

IMO, today's stock intakes do an awesome job of getting cold air into the engine, and in sufficient quantity. I really haven't seen an aftermarket CAI that struck me as something that would produce any power gain on a stock engine. Most of these cars have MAF sensors, and that's the one part of the intake upstream of the throttle that you can't change the diameter of without some serious ECU hacking.

There is a LOT of fact and fiction, but on race day those who came to race are those who came to win. I paid my dues in the pits at trackside and like someone said if you really want to take that Honda to the next level then be prepared to spend next level money. As we said in the race game 'there is no substitute for cubic inches or cubic money'. I would stick with a good tune job by someone who understand how to find that few HP that can be had with a few tricks in the tuning, low restriction air cleaner. What you are faced with is picking up 1 hp here and 1 there thru improved efficiencies. About the best you can do in a stock config is somewhere between 5 and about max of 10% increase in power. My guess is you live down here in Texas, here is a little trick that can add to you stack of hp gains. Pickup a bottle of Water Wetter, it goes by various names, but I have used that one. What it does is increase the efficiency of the radiator water to conduct heat. The effect is your engine will run cooler, as much as 5-10 degrees. Not much, but enough to contribute to the overall efficiency of the engine which results in improved power. It all adds up, just make sure you add the right things...best of luck.

I was thinking about Water Wetter the other day... Water is the most efficient material known for transferring heat, so I'm fuzzy on how an additive would be better than just diluting your coolant with more water for making the cooling system more efficient.

And be careful with those "higher flow" filters on the street. They don't filter for crap and will damage stuff in the long run. I've replaced more MAF sensors than I can count from being contaminated and coated either with oil from the filter itself or dirt because the filter doesn't filter well. In the case of the filter's oil coating the MAF, that isn't someone over-oiling, it's fresh-from-the-wrapper K&N filters that do that. Oh, and there's dirt mixed with the oil if it's seen more than a couple weeks on the street, because K&N is bad for your car.

I've also lost count of how many K&N filters I've thrown in the trash because of these problems.

At one point, I worked in a shop with an old Dynojet... Guess how much HP difference there was on my Miata running K&N vs OEM paper? :rolleyes:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Good way to hydrolock your engine during a heavy rain in this area. I've even had one Mazda through the shop with a bumper-sourced CAI that spit a rod through the block when it sucked up water. Any gains from that would be minimal, and if you want MPG, hotter air should actually be the way to go (more throttle opening for the same power and amount of air = lower intake vacuum = less engine power used to suck air past the throttle).

Honestly, not much upstream of the throttle on an NA car is going to do dick for HP or MPG on a modern car. All people wind up doing is getting placebo from loud intakes (if it sounds more powerful, it is, right? Same thing with most cat-backs - you're going to find all the power at the cat and manifold), and substandard filters (screw you, K&N, your filters are garbage).

IMO, Kyle, if you want more power, it's going to be either forced induction or internal engine work with at least cam(s), maybe some port work (though most modern cars have awesome port designs), headers and cat delete and then having someone who knows what they're doing tune it to run right. For real gains, you'll probably wind up in the bottom end with stronger rods and better pistons to be able to spin everything faster.

Bolt-ons are pretty worthless for your Honda, it's the sad truth. You might spend a few hundred bucks and pick up 10 horses, but that's pretty optimistic, IMO.

You want to get a more fasterer car cheap? Gut it. Lose all the weight the car doesn't need - carpeting, headliner, start removing parts of doors, etc. Of course, it'll be a lot louder, a bit warmer (losing the AC would make a big difference, too!) and a lot less comfortable if you go that route. :p

This

Back in the day, we played with Hondas mainly 89-92's

What you did to them was a radical cam, turbo, port and polish, bigger injectors, headers, better exhaust and stiffen up the suspension.

If you did it right they were fantastic little cars. Still got 25-30 mpg but could also go 120 mph.

Top Bottom