Son's and Daughters of Texas

pistolpadre

Well-Known
Feb 25, 2013
This will be short and sweet (hope anyway) as it's a little hypocriticl of me to write much about being a son of Texas when I don't live there, and sure didn't have much to do with being born there.. Not like I said "OK Mom, we're in Longview let me out"..

But that's what happened on 5 May year of our Lord 1948.. Guess the folk's weren't to thoughtful about my name.. Gregg County, Gregg County hospital.. I didn't have any idea it was connected till a few years ago and I noticed the County is spelled with two g's , so was my name until I changed it some time in my teen years when I figured the two g thing had a 'skippy ' sort a ring to it.. So what's ya think we aut'a name the little §¥€€¥ honey, Gosh I Don't know pumpkin..(at this point I can see one of them looking around, and a sign on the wall.. yep, they gave it some serious thought..

So, what's the point here.. sorta like the folk's.. I'm a bit simple, and I'm real proud to have been born in Texas.. for 55 of those 65 years I've told people I was born in Texas with pride, and know what.. for 55 years I've seen the reaction folk have when you tell them you're a Texan by birth.. I really don't think any other state (with the possible exception of Alaska, but cold don't count) get's that same reaction.. People all over this Nation, and the World (did a LOT of traveling in the Navy) are fascinated by Texas..

So if you feel like being proud today, here's a good place to start.. you're a TEXAN

Last edited:

pistolpadre

Well-Known
Feb 25, 2013
txbikerman;85 well said padre[/QUOTE said:
Thank's Dave, I was thinking about this the other day, I'm sure everyone has had that same reaction when you tell folk's, and it's just flat cool..

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
Still no oil well in the back yard, or a horse but - yeah - you get a reaction. Especially when a bunch of Germans (who just bought your company) walk out the back of your building and they see the train of people on horseback and wagons riding down the I-35 access road to the San Antonio rodeo. Then you take them to the bull riding competition. Then you take 'em shooting. Then they go home and tell all their friends how it is.

Trying to keep the tradition alive.

Mic

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2009
Austin
Umm. I can only claim to be a born-again-Texas. But since that's all I've got, I go with it.

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
I used to get a kick out of traveling. I have what some would call a Texas accent. I can't begin to count how many times I've been asked where I'm from and after responding Texas, being told, I know that, what part or what city. Everyone's heard of Dallas because of JR. Many have heard of Houston, Several have heard of other big cities or know places where relatives live, but it always amazed me the number of people who pretended to know where I was talking about when I listed the town of 1,200 and the town of 550 that I live between.

The fascination with Texas is hard to describe unless you've seen it on the outside.

Now count your blessings Pistolpadre. You know how close you were to just being a Cajun? Another 40 miles or so East and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
Feb 25, 2013
F350-6;853bo used to get a kick out of traveling. I have what some would call a Texas accent. I can't begin to count how many times I've been asked where I'm from and after responding Texas said:
You are so right about the distance.. think it might be a tad more than 40 miles, but not much.. Longview "happened" cause of Pop's company.. He spent a full 50 years (36-86) with R.G. Lieuterneau.. RG had a company in Longview, and I believe a Bible college is still being run by the family south of town..

robertc1024

Staff member
TGT Supporter
Jan 22, 2013
San Marcos
True. For all we know, he's still shooting at the damn sign.

Top Bottom