• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sunday has always been sort of a day that I used to wind down, and get prepared for the coming week ahead. As a youngster, when spending time at my grandparents, it was sort of a special day. Church on Sunday morning, then Sunday dinner, and many times with extended family showing up, and Sunday, usually meant fried chicken and all the other fixings that went with it! Then relaxing out on the porch, or the living room depending on the weather, just hanging out and talking about all sorts of things. Sometimes, after church, on those rare occasions, when my grandfather was in the mood to eat out, and that meant Dairy Queen of course! One of the only places he would eat out at. Sometimes, we would even just go through the drive-thru, and then go to a park and have a sort of picnic.

But as I got older, there were many times being on the farm, Sunday was just another work day for us. But Sunday dinners were always a pretty special affair for us as a family. Once I left home, Sunday was many times just another work day, unless I happened to be scheduled off, which many times was very rare. But I got to the point in my career that I usually did happen to be off on Sunday, and I used that day to wind down and relax and get ready for the coming week. Usually just hanging out, listening to music and reading a book, and catching up on laundry and such things. Might catch a program or two on the TV, but just not getting into a big rush about anything.

Now days, being retired, Sunday is just another day of the week for me for the most part. Still things that need to be done and have to get done around the farm. I was up this morning about 7 am to go work on one of the tractors that needed some repairs. Many times, we have to get things done as soon as possible, because we are always in need of the equipment being able to be used at a moments notice, and then there are the cattle we have to check on and take care as well. Farming is a pretty much a seven day a week job!

But there is still the music!

Gun Zone Deals

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond
    this was a really nice post...reminiscing about the old days is nice, especially right now when the world has gone to hell in a handbasket...i remember those sundays too growing up, having breakfast, going to church and my grandmother who lived in town came over every sunday night for dinner and to play cards....so much fun!

now my family is super small and my brother, sister and i are at the top of the family tree....no parents, no grandparents and it has been that way for 5 years now....it is awful feeling kind of orphaned when you are in your 30s...but the memories are good!

your post made me think back to those times and it brought a huge smile to my face so THANK YOU! :) :o

(see, this is why we need a heart emoji or something more girly lol)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    this was a really nice post...reminiscing about the old days is nice, especially right now when the world has gone to hell in a handbasket...i remember those sundays too growing up, having breakfast, going to church and my grandmother who lived in town came over every sunday night for dinner and to play cards....so much fun!

now my family is super small and my brother, sister and i are at the top of the family tree....no parents, no grandparents and it has been that way for 5 years now....it is awful feeling kind of orphaned when you are in your 30s...but the memories are good!

your post made me think back to those times and it brought a huge smile to my face so THANK YOU! :) :o

(see, this is why we need a heart emoji or something more girly lol)

You're welcome.

Sometimes we are constantly bombarded with all the bad and ugliness of what is going on in the country and the world, I thought we needed to be reminded of the goodness and what makes this country great and our way of life, and what we are trying to preserve and defend. The really important things, like family, church, Sunday dinners, and the simple things in life.

If this thread brought a smile to your face and just a moment of happiness then it was a huge success. I hope that everyone else that read it had the same moment as you did reading it. That was the entire purpose. Remember, family doesn't have to be related either.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Sundays sometimes are WFO for us.

Friday early out the gates make for a rough Saturday. Sometimes Sunday is the catch up-chores day. Like today.

I'm a huge advocate of a 3 day weekend. 4-10's would make this country great again.

Many times when working out of town, Sunday was a catch up day for me as well! Two different companies I worked for, I worked 4-12's, and loved having an automatic 8 hours overtime built into my check every week and the three days off! it was pretty good.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yes, sadly that has largely been lost.

Much of life was different then.

Maybe some day it will return.

I agree. I think it's still there for some of us, and I think it could be that way again. I think people need to be reminded, and just to slow down a bit and think about what's really important in our lives. I think us in the older generations that are left, it's partly our responsibility to remind the younger generations, like our children, our grandchildren and even our great grandchildren of these things.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Sunday is and always will be God's day in our house.

When I was a kid, your ass was home everyday for dinner and God forgive you if you miss Sunday dinner because my German mother would definitely be waiting there with a wooden spoon if you weren't. Spoon is kinda of a misstatement. More like a wooden canoe paddle lol

This is why I am really excited about my having a kid. I get to do all of the same traditions that my family did. Its extremely important and in my mind is what is missing in a lot of peoples lives today. They are obsessed with money or gratification that they don't take the time to think about where the came from and thanking God for what they do have.

txgirliegirl

loves dogs more than people
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2020
    Richmond

When I was a kid, your ass was home everyday for dinner and God forgive you if you miss Sunday dinner because my German mother would definitely be waiting there with a wooden spoon if you weren't. Spoon is kinda of a misstatement. More like a wooden canoe paddle lol

This is why I am really excited about my having a kid. I get to do all of the same traditions that my family did. Its extremely important and in my mind is what is missing in a lot of peoples lives today. They are obsessed with money or gratification that they don't take the time to think about where the came from and thanking God for what they do have.

this is awesome and congrats on the one on the way!! :)

this also gives me some hope for the future...i hope this type of thing catches on again....would make the world a much better place! nothing in the world like family <3

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Well said, our resident mulleteer! You are right. We need to keep these traditions alive and preserve them. Money, status, importance in our jobs and careers are not the most important things in life for sure.

How many of us would trade all our money, or titles of importance, and all our worldly possessions, to go back in time, where we could spend a day with all of our loved ones for one day again? I know I would without hesitation. To see all of my grandparents, my mother, my aunts and uncles, my sister, and my friends, yes, I'd trade everything for that day.

Yes, we need to be thankful for all we have and our blessings, and not grumbling or whining about what we don't have. God will always be there to provide for your needs, but not always for your wants. That was a valuable lesson learned from my grandmother.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    this is awesome and congrats on the one on the way!! :)

this also gives me some hope for the future...i hope this type of thing catches on again....would make the world a much better place! nothing in the world like family <3

People have told me over the years, you can't pick and choose your family, and as far as blood relations, that is true. But sometimes, there are people that come into our lives for whatever reasons, that become more than just close friends, but more like family we have chosen.

There is member here at TGT, and he and I have been on quite a few various other forums together over the last thirteen years or so, and we get together in person occasionally, and we talk three or four times a week. He has become one of my closest friends, and I consider him family now.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My parent were not church going. Sundays never held any special meaning. In my teens the started to be recovery from Saturday night.

When I first moved to Texas the blue Laws were still in effect. It was nice knowing you had every Sunday off from work. Saturday night becam the big party time, as we know boys mature slower. When the Blue Laws went away Sunday was time & half & for the first year nice to work because people still followed the Blue Laws. At some point pay for Sunday went to +.50 per hour & the suckage began! Sundays & holidays became the norm for a work day & Sunday held no extra meaning.

Now being a gimp all days just run together. Time does speed up as you get older!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

My dad was always the head deacon, just one of those kind of men other men respected. Only day my dad would not work. Church morning and evening, and a huge lunch in between.

I’ve kept that tradition with my kids. Until the Rona. But had a daughter and her crew spend the night, and she has a kid in the sensitive group. So we listened on my phone this morning while I made breakfast.

One of my most hilarious memories of church involved a dinner on the grounds after church one fall. Rural, extremely white, new to us Baptist church.

Someone offered my mom a cup of coffee. She meant to say she liked it, “straight and strong..”
    Instead said she liked her coffee like she liked her men, “strong and black.”
    You could have heard a pin drop. The shock was tangible. My dad laughed uncontrollably, the other women’s mouths dropped in shock. I was the giggling fly on the wall grinning at the chaos.

My mom had some funny moments.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My dad was always the head deacon, just one of those kind of men other men respected. Only day my dad would not work. Church morning and evening, and a huge lunch in between.

I’ve kept that tradition with my kids. Until the Rona. But had a daughter and her crew spend the night, and she has a kid in the sensitive group. So we listened on my phone this morning while I made breakfast.

One of my most hilarious memories of church involved a dinner on the grounds after church one fall. Rural, extremely white, new to us Baptist church.

Someone offered my mom a cup of coffee. She meant to say she liked it, “straight and strong..”
    Instead said she liked her coffee like she liked her men, “strong and black.”
    You could have heard a pin drop. The shock was tangible. My dad laughed uncontrollably, the other women’s mouths dropped in shock. I was the giggling fly on the wall grinning at the chaos.

My mom had some funny moments.

Great story Deemus!

Sundays, as I mentioned before, were pretty wonderful days, and some great memories. Up until December 1974, when my grandfather passed away. We use to attend church outside a small community called Possum Walk, not far from Groveton. My grandparents had been attending this church for many years, going back to when I was in grade school. When my grandfather got to the point of being bedridden, they were no longer able to attend church on Sunday any more, but several of the church members made the trip the last four Sundays my grandfather was alive.

They would hold a small church service at my grandparents, and we would have a huge Sunday dinner afterwards. The last one, my grandfather was pretty much already gone, but he did have some last moments of clarity, and I think he knew it was time to go. He passed away the following early Monday morning. Several of the church deacons led the services at his funeral. Christmas pretty much sucked that year, and for several ones afterwards, because he passed away not long before Christmas.

There isn't a day that goes by, that even after all these years, I don't remember those times. Granny has gone too, in 2009, and they are together again. That gives me a bit of comfort.

There was so many great memories, and friends that we made at that little church out in the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom