• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Against better judgement I am posting this before I do much research. I know a tad about Utah Carry reciprocity, but I would have never dreamed this crap.

A local "instructor" is pushing a 3, yes THREE hour class with no shooting qualification, no renewal class, Utah license for Texas residents. Freakin' redneck actually said we had a "RECIPRAKATORY" relationship with Utah and we don't need a Texas License. WTF!!!!!!!!!! He's charging $125 for the class, and the students have to get their own photos.

Is this correct??

If it is, then why do we bother?

He concluded by telling me he couldn't guarantee how long this would be legal, but it was legal NOW.

This explains all the wierd phone calls I have been getting lately. I have had people asking how long the class is, and hanging up. Now I know why.

I need a drink.:banghead:
    Capitol Armory ad

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I am not sure how things work in Texas, but here in Missouri we have the reciprocity with Utah as well.
    To get the license started, we have to take a 4 hour class with no shooting needed. We also have to get our own pictures taken, we have to go to the local Sheriffs office and get finger printed, and we pay for that as well.

Here in Missouri, we have Missouri CCW permits but we don't have to get them. We can get the Utah permit and use it and still be legal. I have Mo, Utah, Florida and Pennsylvania permits. WHY? Because I can. I will let the Pennsylvania and Florida permits laps when they expire because the Utah permit was cheaper to obtain and is cheaper to renew, and if I'm not mistaken it runs 6 years. Mo permits are only good for 4.
    With the Utah permit, if I sleep through the renewal period for my Mo permit I can still legally carry with the Utah. So it's like having a two year grace period.
    Class cost here in Mo differ depending on what the instructor wants to charge. 125 is more than I paid for the Utah class but is about what the Mo CCW class cost.

I'm not sure what you are upset about. Your class is one hour less than ours, we have to do all the same things you do and depending on where you take the class your price may be more, less or about the same. Sounds to me like you are going through the same as the rest of us. Or less, your 3 hours to our 4.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I know of a 4-hour class here locally that issues a Utah non-resident license, but it's more like $160 and the instructor covers both Utah and Texas material. There is still no range test and apparently paperwork gets done faster (less wait time).

AFAIK it's been legal for several years (at least) and should continue to be legal for a long time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    We have reciprocity with Utah. Utah offers a non-resident license. You can carry in Texas on a Utah license.

I don't have any idea what your phone call statement is about.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    We have reciprocity with Utah. Utah offers a non-resident license. You can carry in Texas on a Utah license.

I don't have any idea what your phone call statement is about.

Ok, I guess I went to DPS to become a certified instructor and wasted my time. I could become a Utah instructor and take a heck of a lot less time teaching. Like I said at the beginning of my post, I should research before I complain. So...I take it that we should all teach the Utah license???

My phone call comment was referring to the number of calls I have had this week where callers asked how long the Texas CHL class takes. When I explain what Texas requires they hang up. Now I know why.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I'm not sure what you are upset about. Your class is one hour less than ours, we have to do all the same things you do and depending on where you take the class your price may be more, less or about the same. Sounds to me like you are going through the same as the rest of us. Or less, your 3 hours to our 4.

I am a Certified CHL Instructor in Texas....Texas requires a minimum of 10 - 15 hours. Plus included in this time students/applicants have to shoot 50 rounds to qualify. I'm bitchin' because I'm an idiot, and I should be teaching the Utah and Florida license requirements. From what I understand, becoming an instructor for these states is MUCH easier than spending a 5 days in Austin. Sign me up and color me dumb butt.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've seen classes advertised where you get both, the Texas and Utah permit in one class. Since the Utah requirements are less, it only takes a few extra things to get both. The benefit (as I'm told) is the Utah has some states with reciprocity that Texas doesn't so you are covered more if you travel a lot.

Me it's not a big deal, and I enjoyed my CHL class and always enjoy shooting so I opt for the Texas version. But if they said, just fill out a few more forms etc and you can get two states permits, I might do that. I would not take the Utah only deal

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Navyguy, I could see doing that, i just have an idea how many LEOs from way out Texas might not understand why someone who's a Texas resident has a non-resident Utah license. I can see the advantage of having all the CHLs CCWs you can get to cover all the states you can, but I think it would be best to start with your own state.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I guess I was on a bit of a rant last night, but it is still aggravating. I guess what bugged me even more was the pitch this guy was putting on the deal, sounded more like Amway. Oh well, it's a new day. At least now I know what people are reffering to when they call about shorter classes.

krull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    The Woodlands, TX
    If you live in Texas, get a Texas CHL. :banghead:

That's a good idea, I never really thought about getting a chl from a state other than Texas, which is where Im a resident. Especially if you travel. A 3 or 4 hour course doesn't sound that bad, its probably interesting enough and fast enough so you won't get bored. The class I took lasted about 12 hrs, but it was a good class.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    If you live in Texas, get a Texas CHL. :banghead:

Well, that's what I think too. I guess what got me riled was this guy was talking about not needing a Texas CHL, and that the Texas is pretty much obsolete because the Utah is so easy to get. He doesn't require shooting, but I looked on the Utah BIC site and they require a Firearms Familiarity Certificate. I guess he's gonna forge that from the sounds of things.

I may just take trip to Salt Lake this year, the instructor course is taught nearly every month, and it's only 6 hours. I don't mind having reciprocity with Utah, but the whole thing sounds like a joke.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well, that's what I think too. I guess what got me riled was this guy was talking about not needing a Texas CHL, and that the Texas is pretty much obsolete because the Utah is so easy to get. He doesn't require shooting, but I looked on the Utah BIC site and they require a Firearms Familiarity Certificate. I guess he's gonna forge that from the sounds of things.

I may just take trip to Salt Lake this year, the instructor course is taught nearly every month, and it's only 6 hours. I don't mind having reciprocity with Utah, but the whole thing sounds like a joke.

I took a Utah class (to get additional states) and there is NO shooting requirement. The Firearms Familiarity is classroom instruction

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Hmmm, even better huh?

I guess he is the smart one, he can teach shorter classes, doesn't have to buy targets or pay for range time, and he doesn't have to worry about getting shot. I feel stupid. LOL Let me see, where did I put that flight schedule to Utah???

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    relax, I don't think all texans are going to stop getting a Texas CHL cause they can get a license cheaper from Utah.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I am a Certified CHL Instructor in Texas....Texas requires a minimum of 10 - 15 hours. Plus included in this time students/applicants have to shoot 50 rounds to qualify. I'm bitchin' because I'm an idiot, and I should be teaching the Utah and Florida license requirements. From what I understand, becoming an instructor for these states is MUCH easier than spending a 5 days in Austin. Sign me up and color me dumb butt.

LOL ok I see. Well. Now you can get certified to teach the Utah as well. You can do both classes and then just let the Texas part lapse and teach the Utah permit class from there on out. You can do both and benefit from them and then just do Utah.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I'm relaxed, LOL I am seriously gonna look into going to Utah for the Inst. course. At least then I might know what the whole deal is, plus I could teach both. Sounds like good business to me. I got ticked off last night before I had the facts, my apologies to all.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't apologize. To me, it's like someone that takes a TX CHL course w/an instructor that boasts "I won't LET you fail (wink,wink)". That instructor is an idiot, and I want nothing to do with him. I WANT to be challenged, I WANT to have to put forth effort. Don't make it hard for the sake of busting my chops - but don't "give" me anything, either - carrying a firearm is a significant responsibility, and I want to KNOW what I'm doing.

Then again, I take the Experienced Riders Course for my m/c every 2 years, even though insurance only requires it every 3 years. There's something to be said for practice, IMO.....

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    As long as Texas law recognizes my Utah non resident permit I see no reason to go through the hoops, expense or ridiculous wait to get a Texas CHL. I'm not "gaming" the system, I'm following the system.

Buck

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hey, to each their own I figger. Then again, you DO need to know that Utah is in serious discussion about eliminating the non-resident license because they're hearing all the flak about the ease of obtaining it. Just keep your ears open.

Top Bottom