• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Don't apologize. To me, it's like someone that takes a TX CHL course w/an instructor that boasts "I won't LET you fail (wink,wink)". That instructor is an idiot, and I want nothing to do with him. I WANT to be challenged, I WANT to have to put forth effort. Don't make it hard for the sake of busting my chops - but don't "give" me anything, either - carrying a firearm is a significant responsibility, and I want to KNOW what I'm doing.

Then again, I take the Experienced Riders Course for my m/c every 2 years, even though insurance only requires it every 3 years. There's something to be said for practice, IMO.....

I hear ya, I personally feel it's like a DL. You can't live in Texas and drive forever with an out of state license. SO why should CHL be any different? However, I'm gonna get certified and do both. Just because I can piss off the natives so to speak. LOL

I work way harder and teach much more info than any local CHL instructor I know. I have yet to hear or see any of my students looking for info on where and when they can carry, I taught them. So, I figure if people want the UTAH thing, I'll be the best at that too..

I only apologized because I know when I am feelin' frisky I can offend a few if I don't watch it. Well, that's what my wife says. LOL
    Hurley's Gold

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    If I recall correctly, the Utah license was a popular option for people in Texas back when it was taking several months for our state to complete the process. The Utah license was a quicker and easier way to get a CHL that would still be honored in TX. Price and class time may have been considerations as well, but I think it started as a way to get plastic in hand more quickly. Now that the TX processing time has improved, with lots of folks getting plastic within 2 months or less, I don't see much point in it other than adding a few more reciprocal states.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Utah non resident license only adds WA. It is not accepted in CO, KS, FL, and SC. I'll keep my TX license since I've been to all of those states in the past year and never been to WA.

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    People that are behind on child support go for the Utah license, since you cant get a Texas one if you are behind and a few other types of loans.

(for the record, i have custody of my two boys. I learned this from a colleague that is behind on his CS)

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    If you travel it may beneficial for you to get multiple licenses.

Personally, I haven't stepped outside of Texas in several years. No reason too really. :P

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    People that are behind on child support go for the Utah license, since you cant get a Texas one if you are behind and a few other types of loans.

(for the record, i have custody of my two boys. I learned this from a colleague that is behind on his CS)

Yes, a friend and I were talking about that very thing last night. I thought of several things that could limit a Texas CHL being issued that would be missed by the Utah application process. I won't mention them because I don't want someone to get any ideas. The more I think about this the more it concerns me. Seems too easy for a non-qualifying Texas resident to skirt around the requirements. I've always been proud of the fact that the Texas CHL has such stiff requirements as far as backgrounds etc. I guess that's not a big deal any more.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Yes, a friend and I were talking about that very thing last night. I thought of several things that could limit a Texas CHL being issued that would be missed by the Utah application process. I won't mention them because I don't want someone to get any ideas. The more I think about this the more it concerns me. Seems too easy for a non-qualifying Texas resident to skirt around the requirements. I've always been proud of the fact that the Texas CHL has such stiff requirements as far as backgrounds etc. I guess that's not a big deal any more.

I'm fairly sure I know who you are referring to (the instructor), have heard the ads, I have thought about having a Utah CFP also as an addition to my CHL. The extra states, having a lay-over of sorts to cover in case I lapse in my CHL renewal at any stage. If you are thinking of doing the Utah class as well I would do both or offer a package deal on it as many Utah CFP instructors do.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Why should whether or not you owe the government, or anyone else, be a factor in being able to exercise a right?

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Here we go again. I didn't say anything about owing the Govt. Heck, that's my passtime. I'm referring to backgrounds, in fact, yep, I'm possitive that was the word I used.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Hey Seabear, here's another tidbit of info to aggravate you. If you're a veteran, you don't need to take a class at all to get a Florida license. Just send them a copy of your DD-214 along with your prints, photos, and application fee. Go Florida !!!

BTW, I don't think you made a poor choice getting licensed as a trainer. There are still advantages to getting a TX CHL. To name one, some states only reciprocate if you're a resident of the license you hold.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Here we go again. I didn't say anything about owing the Govt. Heck, that's my passtime. I'm referring to backgrounds, in fact, yep, I'm possitive that was the word I used.

Alaska and Vermont have no background check. They are doing ok, last time I check. : )

I think the only reason some states are thinking of not accepting "non-resident" CHL's is because they are whining about people taking their CHL fee's elsewhere. They should make their CHL program costs more competative instead of crying foul cause people have an interest in their money.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

My mistake. Utah does a background check. The only "background" difference is that they don't care about student loans, taxes or child support. I just assumed you were referring to that.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I think that's good of Florida to recognize veterans. Cool.

I was just lettin' steam off the other night. LOL Personally I think multiple licenses are fine, I just think people should have the one for the state they live in . I was more concerned with the way this guy was presenting it, and it caught me a llittle off guard.

Top Bottom