• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Imagine my horror, the first time I shot steel there at the range, 10 shots, not a single plate dropped.

I swore I was hitting them.

Nobody told me that the bar behind them had to go down first, lol.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I liked the rams. Nothing knocked them down until someone asked permission to shoot them with a .44 Mag.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to do the testing I wanted to do. There was just too much mud. I really wanted to find out how many 9mm hits it would take to knock one off a rail. I guess I'll just have to bring them next time, too, and test again.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been wanting to go to Manhatten for quite awhile.
    It's a great place to visit. Lots to do. Bad neighborhoods to walk around in during the wee hours. Interesting people. Gorgeous women everywhere. The pervasive smell of urine. The "A" train to the Bronx to eat Peruvian food.

I could go on and on. There are plenty of good people there and lots to love. It is not, however, any place I'd want to live for very long.

There's an old saying "Live in northern California but leave before it makes you soft. Live in New York City but leave before it makes you hard." I can subscribe to that.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I liked the rams. Nothing knocked them down until someone asked permission to shoot them with a .44 Mag.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to do the testing I wanted to do. There was just too much mud. I really wanted to find out how many 9mm hits it would take to knock one off a rail. I guess I'll just have to bring them next time, too, and test again.
    Should I have left them standing longer?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Should I have left them standing longer?
    Not at all. I like it when people knock over my rams. :)

Seriously, though, I've been trying and failing to put together a new type of pistol silhouette shooting since the old IHMSA shoots are all but gone. Yes, I know here in Texas we're blessed with several IHMSA matches but the sport is still a faint shadow of what it once was.

There are several things that killed off IHMSA. Without going into a long post-mortem, one of the key ingredients to successfully reviving silhouette shooting will be to limit shooter options to firearms we all own. I'd like to create a 9mm-only class. To make that class challenging, I need targets that are heavy enough to require multiple hits.

I wasn't able to test that in the mud.

It may all be a moot point, anyway. I've given formal presentations at two clubs asking for permission to run a match under prototype rules and I've gotten turned down each time. If I can't find a place to shoot, I may be stuck with a couple of durable little rams that'll mostly be useful for just my own fun.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It may all be a moot point, anyway. I've given formal presentations at two clubs asking for permission to run a match under prototype rules and I've gotten turned down each time. If I can't find a place to shoot, I may be stuck with a couple of durable little rams that'll mostly be useful for just my own fun.

Once upon a time I tried to get a mil-surp rifle league started.
    Open to any original or sportered mil-surp.
    The idea was any old rifle could be brought out and used.
    The Fudds were not amused. Moonpie meet stone wall. Head first.

This was while they bitched about involving new shooters.
    Shooters are their own worst enemies sometimes.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, are there IHMSA matches anywhere around the Houston area these days?
    Oh, yes. Greenwood and PSC are south of town. It's not too far a drive to New Braunfels to the CTSA. Further away, there's Sweetwater.

Add it all up and Texas is one of the most active IHMSA states in the Union. It's still a dim reflection of what it once was. I've been, within the last couple of years, to a match in Greenwood where 14 or so people showed up and the joke going around was "We might as well have the State champs right now. This is pretty much everybody."

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That is great to hear. I didn't realize PSC held silhouette matches. Some member I am... :)

Now I just need to figure out how to get started. I think the only rifle I have that would qualify is my M1 for large bore. The only .22 rifle I have is a 10/22 which doesn't seem to work?

Top Bottom