Spring food plots

dbgun

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
I hunt north of the College Station/Brian area (Franklin,TX.). We usually plant oats/rye grass in the fall, but have been talking about planting something in the Spring. We tried some kind of seed from Academy a few years ago, but the stuff that came up looked like a bunch of weeds and none of the animals would touch it. I was wondering if anyone has had luck planting food plots during the Sprinig?

dbgun

TGT Addict
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
Got any openings? ;)
Sorry, Pete. we have to many hunters (8 on 220 acres) already. Luckly 2 of the guys only use the lease for plinking after deer season.

DCORTEZ,
I heard about the clover, and when I checked I do remember it beinig a bit pricey. The turnip idea sound pretty good. Is it difficult to plant? Anybody?

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Taken from:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0828.pdf

Primary (or "choice") winter forbs for deer include plantains, spiderwort, eveningprimrose, burclover and Texas filaree. Warm season forbs preferred by whitetails include wild lettuce, lambs-quarters, dayflower, velvet bundleflower, knotweed [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]12 [/FONT]
[/FONT]leaf-flower, and mat euphorbia.

I read on another site that perennials are the best bet. Still looking stuff up, will add more if I find more.

fm2

Event Coordinator
Apr 27, 2008
IIRC the wildlife biologist recommended cow peas. They also have a hybird clover, Red arrowleaf maybe. You can check with the local ag extension agent for help that will be specific to your area.

bvillars

Feb 22, 2009
spring plot

cow peas as stated they are cheap and grow well, drought is kicking everyones butt right now. my clover is stagnant and rye barely growing. i plant three type peas black-eyed, creme ,purple hull, usually in late april- fairfield area

Top Bottom