• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I hunt north of the College Station/Brian area (Franklin,TX.). We usually plant oats/rye grass in the fall, but have been talking about planting something in the Spring. We tried some kind of seed from Academy a few years ago, but the stuff that came up looked like a bunch of weeds and none of the animals would touch it. I was wondering if anyone has had luck planting food plots during the Sprinig?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Got any openings? ;)

Sorry, Pete. we have to many hunters (8 on 220 acres) already. Luckly 2 of the guys only use the lease for plinking after deer season.

DCORTEZ,
    I heard about the clover, and when I checked I do remember it beinig a bit pricey. The turnip idea sound pretty good. Is it difficult to plant? Anybody?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Taken from:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0828.pdf

Primary (or "choice") winter forbs for deer include plantains, spiderwort, eveningprimrose, burclover and Texas filaree. Warm season forbs preferred by whitetails include wild lettuce, lambs-quarters, dayflower, velvet bundleflower, knotweed [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]12 [/FONT]
    [/FONT]leaf-flower, and mat euphorbia.

I read on another site that perennials are the best bet. Still looking stuff up, will add more if I find more.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    IIRC the wildlife biologist recommended cow peas. They also have a hybird clover, Red arrowleaf maybe. You can check with the local ag extension agent for help that will be specific to your area.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    spring plot

cow peas as stated they are cheap and grow well, drought is kicking everyones butt right now. my clover is stagnant and rye barely growing. i plant three type peas black-eyed, creme ,purple hull, usually in late april- fairfield area

Top Bottom