• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    As a carry piece the loaded would be my choice.
    The RO is a fine piece but the large square rear sight will rub holes in your clothes if left uncovered.
    Both are great firearms.
    I had a Springer GI. That thing ran perfect right out of the box.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That was the cheapest model they made back when they first introducted it. It had 2 owners before me lol.

Don't think the last owner did anything to it, guy before him might have.

Was it a GI? I have one, and it's been flawless but I am the first and only owner of it.

As someone one said, you can't go wrong with a Springfield 1911!

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    For carry get the loaded. For target/range get the RO. I have an RO and an older loaded made before they called it the loaded. I like both. If you want to carry the RO, get a holster that protects the sights with a leather collar off the front of the holster. That will protect you and the sights.

Edit: The plunger tube detent on springers seems longer than my other 1911s. The one for the slide stop. It can be shortened with some sand paper and or the slide stop modified ala the Log Man modification which you can learn about here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Range Officer offers superior features for shooting at a range. It is not intended for concealed carry. It makes a first-rate range and night-stand gun.

Be well.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I think the only thing you could argue as a negative for concealed carry is the adjustable rear sight. But it's not that obtrusive and not even as aggressive as many fixed rear sight options which are commonly touted as "concealed carry sights". Others would still argue that it's just another potential point of failure. I think the RO would make a fine CHL gun. To me, the lack of an ambi safety is a bigger plus than the adjustable rear sight is a minus (when compared to the Loaded SS).

But in all seriousness, get a TRP SS.

19029525392_b44043ae5b_b.jpg

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, and Magnum P.I....

MagnumS1_14.jpg
    MagnumS1_002.jpg

(Yes, I realize the prop gun they used was a 9mm Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model, and sometimes even a Star Model B, because blanks were more reliable for them. You can tell because the line in the magazine in the left pic is different than a 1911A1 magazine!)

Of course, one of the reasons I had to get a TEC-9 was after seeing one in Big Trouble in Little China...

tec_9_4.jpg

...and Falling Down...

600px-Falling_03.jpg

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    you should check out the Jesse Stone series of TV movies, starring Tom Selleck. he uses his Gunsite S&W 1911 Commander throughout.

800px-Benefitdoubt7.jpg

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I used to own the loaded parkerized and my friend still owns his range officer. They're very similar. I do not think the tolerances could be tighter than they are in the loaded.

The loaded took a long time to break in and then the slide was bery smooth. I like the sights on the loaded more.

Top Bottom