• DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I have a 92s as well that I got at the same time that needs TLC:
    STAR_B6_02.jpg

Beretta_92S_Police-2.jpg

I was thinking about using the Oxpho stuff to re-blue after stripping the current bluing. It looks like you're familiar with it, and also sounds like it might NOT be the best thing to do for a full gun. Thoughts?

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    What Dad_Roman said, it also doesn't hold up well over time like hot bluing. It's great for touch up and small parts like screws. On large parts that have been completely stripped to bare metal you are going to run into color consistency issues. Some areas will be dark while others will have a grey color. This is true of all cold bluing solutions. Hot bluing is the only way to get that factory look.

I want the finish shown here on my Ruger 22/45. The part above it is from my SKS that I cold blued about twenty plus years ago, it's held up fairly well but, note the color inconsistency and wear over time. This would not happen with hot bluing.
    2hAwg95.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I found that the hammer strut was close to failure. It had a really poor fit and was walking to the side of the hammer and being milled through. I found a similar problem with the barrel link which I replaced with the EGW tool steel link. Since no one makes a new hammer strut I decided to make my own heavy duty part from tool steel.

You can see where the hammer has cut into the strut here.
    aRpmBbA.jpg

I made a new one from tool steel that should never fail. My part is thicker and even weighs more than the stock piece. I suspect that the stock strut is cast metal.
    YE6s3E7.jpg

Stock strut on the left and new strut on the right. The new part is a perfect fit so there should be no more wear problems.
    I2qUql4.jpg

Blued and thrown on the finished pile. Sadly this is my last vacation day so I'll have to leave it here until next week.
    zHteCqQ.jpg

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    That is really some good work there. Can't wait to see it looking better than new. I am almost tempted to buy one and try it out too.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Thanks guys! I might pick up one of those gunsmith specials.
    I'm confident you have he skills to revive one. Tempted to get one myself at $150.

Is tool steel easy to come by and the 2nd question; how do you work with something that I'm going to assume is pretty hard?

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Is tool steel easy to come by and the 2nd question; how do you work with something that I'm going to assume is pretty hard?

You can get tool steel and much more from e-Bay, even titanium. I always seem to be making stuff so I have lots of metal stock laying around. I used flat bar tool steel to make the hammer strut. I just traced around the stock part with a marker on the sheet and drilled it out on my drill press. I then used my cheap Harbor Freight belt sander to grind it into shape. I fine tuned the shape with a Dremel and then fine sanded the piece using sand paper and a sanding block for a final finish. A good set of machinist dial or LCD calipers to check fitment is mandatory for making your own parts. For making more complex pieces I will also use draftsman templates for hole sizing and shapes, it wasn't necessary for this simple piece though. All can be had on e-Bay. It would be nice to have a metal cutting band saw and a lathe and mill, those are not cheap tools though and I can't justify the expense for something I won't use all the time.

It's not as hard as you think to make simple parts like that hammer strut. Once you start messing with metal you'll see what I mean, you just have to get out there and try it. Wood is what I have trouble working with, I have major respect for cabinet makers. You don't want to see how my wood projects turn out, lol.

Tool steel
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...sacat=0&_odkw=tool+steel+sheet&LH_TitleDesc=0

Calipers
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ca...epid=2254583809&hash=item4d7f63367e:rk:1:pf:0

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Presuming that classicfirearms.com DOES get someone to make ambidexterus safeties, MY pair of BM pistols will be refinished (al la CZ 75/86) with APPLIANCE EXPOXY PAINT. = That stuff, once cured, is DIFFICULT to remove with sandpaper.

Looks FINE to my eyes, too.

yours, satx

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    This weekend I'm going to strip the mags and the remaining small parts and then give everything a once over. I see from one of my pictures that the slide needs a little work on the right side under the barrel lug where they didn't quite shape it enough. Once that's done I'll be taking it to McClelland gun shop in Dallas. At least that's the shop that impresses me the most, we'll see when I get there. In addition to the bluing I also want the hammer color case hardened like it originally was. I hope to have it dropped off on Monday.

Top Bottom