• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looking for suggestions on a starter spotting scope.
    I need it to sight in rifles at 25yds and I'd like to see targets for hits out to 300yds.

Know one that won't break the bank but will do what I need it to do?
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Every spotting scope I've ever used has given me a headache so I'm interested in other's replies as well.

I think it'd be cheaper to setup a video camera by the target and just watch the feed than it would be to buy a decent spotting scope :laughing:

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    Every spotting scope I've ever used has given me a headache so I'm interested in other's replies as well.

I think it'd be cheaper to setup a video camera by the target and just watch the feed than it would be to buy a decent spotting scope :laughing:

One that you could rewind and watch from an app on your phone so ya don't have walk down there and get the camera. I'm sure there's an app for that..........

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You could use an IP camera and a mobile hotspot with your smartphone.

...or go oldschool. People just give these things away these days.
    51VRM9K550L._SY300_.jpg

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Buy one with a canted eyepiece. You will never make a betterr choice.

The straight eyepiece is difficult to use on a bench, because it must be high enough to look through. The tripod is usually quite large. With a canted eyepiece, it can be placed lower on the bench and take less room.

If someone else is spotting for you, then it would not make much difference. For closer targets like a 25yd or 50 yd, I carry a cheap 3x9 rifle scope. It fits easily in the range bag, and does not require any setup.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a hugely expensive Kowa 821 spotting scope that has a 20-60 variable power eyepiece. It has a massive field of view which is actually a disadvantage in competition. Most of the time, this beautiful scope sits at home.

The scope that I use almost exclusively came from Harbor Freight with a tripod for about $50. It has a 45 degree eyepiece, 20-60 power and a mount that can rotate to make it more usable. It came with a tripod that wasn't top notch, so I carry a better tripod that I've had for a long time.

I've owned a lot of $200 range scopes but seldom keep them for very long. Bonnie uses one of my cast offs.

I recommend the HF scope 100%!

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-60-x-60mm-spotting-scope-with-tripod-94555.html

Flash

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good idea on the 3x9 for the meanwhile. I have one of those handy.

Right now I'm using this in a range setting where it'll be set on the bench. The video feed would be neat, but more of an 'on private property ' option.

We're shooting at the range where everyone is shooting at steel targets. It is difficult to distinguish my hits by sound with all the other shooting going.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have a hugely expensive Kowa 821 spotting scope that has a 20-60 variable power eyepiece. It has a massive field of view which is actually a disadvantage in competition. Most of the time, this beautiful scope sits at home.

The scope that I use almost exclusively came from Harbor Freight with a tripod for about $50. It has a 45 degree eyepiece, 20-60 power and a mount that can rotate to make it more usable. It came with a tripod that wasn't top notch, so I carry a better tripod that I've had for a long time.

I've owned a lot of $200 range scopes but seldom keep them for very long. Bonnie uses one of my cast offs.

Flash

+1 on the Harbor Freight as I bought one last year and it works for me.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Just checked out the HF scope. Reading the reviews it sounds capable out to 200yds. Any word from yall out to 3?
    At the range I know my hits out to 2, it's the 3 I need the scope with. Reviews state the image gets dark with little light. Thoughts?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have the HF scope as well. I have not used it any further than 230yds. I don't really care for it, but from my experience it's about as good as any other inexpensive spotting scope.

wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    I find that even the good quality (higher price) scopes all have crummy tripods that shake too much for me. So I made a flat base of 3/4 plywood with 3 adjustable legs of 5/8 bolts; the Leupold angled spotting scope sits on it solid as a rock. I use it at the range (bench shooting) and it's the perfect height. My wife loves - has an eyesight challenge seeing the 223 at the 50 yd range.

AKmik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Thats a hard one, the problem with most cheap spotting scopes is the eye relief is terrible. On the cheap side I have tried the Wind river, Bushnell, and Burris landmark, all are pretty much junk in the realm of variable spotting scopes. The WR and Burris were both decent at around 20-25ish x but when you try to get up in the higher power ranges your eyelashes will be bent against the eye piece to see.
    A used Leupold off ebay is the best value I have found, fixed or variable. I say best value because you will always get your money back if you decide to get rid of it.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I started out with a cheap Simmons that my dad bought in the early 90's. I gave it to my son in law and bought a used Nikon Team Realtree 15-45x60. It works well enough for me, I also bought a Scope Cam adaptor for it. I saw one on a deer hunt in Northern Utah. Works well with the Nikon I have anyway. Here is the link to the Tines Up website.
    http://www.tinesup.com/tu-gear.html...7/inview=product36762880&offset=0&sort=normal

Last edited:

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    i just ordered this one for the same reasons a few days ago but i haven't received it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006Q6H9Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

have you now had a chance to use it and how well can you see your hits on targets => then 200 yds?
    I read this on Amazon: "bought this scope to use it at a shooting range. After I tried it I realized that it is completely useless at ranges more than 100 yards. It has very small view field, it is very difficult to focus. At 200 yards at 40-60 magnification I was not able to focus it and see bullet holes in my targets."

So this places me back to square one....still looking for a scope that will support 200 to 500 yds targets......

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

Flash

What's the size of the tripod? Is it designed to sit on the dirt or bench top? Will t see out to 100 yards clear or further?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The more I think about, the more I like the remote camera idea. My little toy drone has a camera on it that you can connect directly to with your phone or tablet; no wifi network needed. You can get the camera by itself for $30: http://www.amazon.com/Blomiky-Camer...d=1449590720&sr=1-1&keywords=syma+wifi+camera

Get a large battery for it, set it up downrange close to the target, connect to it with your phone and no more squinting through cheap spotting scopes!

Top Bottom