• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I haven’t seen a “brake test” on any of my motorcycles in years. For the truck and wife’s car, the last couple of years it’s lights, wiper blades, and tire tread as well as proof of insurance.

It takes more time to do the paperwork than the actual inspection.
    that's because most people, including myself, won't allow an inspector to even sit on our bikes.
    I did have one once have me perform a brake test while he watched, but usually they don't even check the tire tread depth on my bike.
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The biggest problem with safety inspections as they exist today is that the shops don't make enough money to actually perform a safety inspection.
    Horn and light test with a quick and nearly worthless braking test in the back parking lot.
    a certified state inspector makes a dollar fifty per inspection so they are not exactly motivated to spend a lot of time per vehicle

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    But emissions testing will still be required around DFW, Houston, Austin and El Paso. So most folks receive a pass, but several still have to deal with it. I wonder if diesel trucks that currently only require safety inspections, or the electric vehicles get a waiver? It would actually be funny to require a Tesla to go in for emissions testing.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Texas will be dropping state vehicle inspections in 18 months (except counties that have emissions inspection):

<>

In this compiuterized ‘information age”, it seems that they could just check to see which vehicles are being properly maintained, and which aren’t.

Or, is this just more EXTORTION by governments ?

<>

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    &lt;&gt;

&lt;&gt;

All I know is, over the years several states have dropped the requirement for state vehicle inspections. When I first started driving, my home state of Kentucky didn’t have vehicle “safety” inspections and then they did (for many years) and now they don’t {again}. That tells me, it was something that sounded good at the time but apparently the statistics didn’t bear it out long term. I suspect accidents/injuries/deaths from drunk driving make everything else pale in insignificance.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The biggest problem with safety inspections as they exist today is that the shops don't make enough money to actually perform a safety inspection.
    Horn and light test with a quick and nearly worthless braking test in the back parking lot.

By law, a shop cannot charge more to perform the inspection that the state fee. I know plenty of shops that make money on fixit item found during inspections. Wiper blades are probably the most common fixit item I observe being replaced.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    <>

In this compiuterized ‘information age”, it seems that they could just check to see which vehicles are being properly maintained, and which aren’t.

<>
    and just how will any computer be able to detect how a vehicle is maintained? aninspector is putting hi eyes on the various operating systems of the vehicle as welll as in some cases taking physical measurements of variou components to see if the are withinthe specs of being safe to operate!

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    and just how will any computer be able to detect how a vehicle is maintained? aninspector is putting hi eyes on the various operating systems of the vehicle as welll as in some cases taking physical measurements of variou components to see if the are withinthe specs of being safe to operate!
    From what I have seen, the few inspectors that take measurements of anything are the ones employed by fleets, not the ones doing inspections for the general public.
    I am sure there are some that make an honest effort, but many, just do a walk around to check lights and might bend over to check tread depth of a tire if it looks bald from glancing at it during the walk around.

I really am not fond of the idea of eliminating vehicle inspections, but in the form they are in now, they might as well not be done anyway.
    Besides that. a vehicle that barely passes today, would probably fail inspection 30 days later when the rest of the tire tread has worn away from the 2 1/2 inches of front end tow out.

Operating a safe vehicle comes down to one thing. Responsible oweners/drivers. In no way can any government force a person to be responsible. Government can't even be responsible its self.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    All I know is, over the years several states have dropped the requirement for state vehicle inspections. When I first started driving, my home state of Kentucky didn’t have vehicle “safety” inspections and then they did (for many years) and now they don’t {again}. That tells me, it was something that sounded good at the time but apparently the statistics didn’t bear it out long term. I suspect accidents/injuries/deaths from drunk driving make everything else pale in insignificance.
    The statistics from data compilers ISO, NTSI and IIHS, indicate distracted driving, as in texting, has surpassed DWI/DUI for property damage, injury, and fatality accidents. Years ago distracted driving was relegated to blow jobs and slap fights.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    From what I have seen, the few inspectors that take measurements of anything are the ones employed by fleets, not the ones doing inspections for the general public.
    I am sure there are some that make an honest effort, but many, just do a walk around to check lights and might bend over to check tread depth of a tire if it looks bald from glancing at it during the walk around.

I really am not fond of the idea of eliminating vehicle inspections, but in the form they are in now, they might as well not be done anyway.
    Besides that. a vehicle that barely passes today, would probably fail inspection 30 days later when the rest of the tire tread has worn away from the 2 1/2 inches of front end tow out.

Operating a safe vehicle comes down to one thing. Responsible oweners/drivers. In no way can any government force a person to be responsible. Government can't even be responsible its self.
    even in the current state they can't or aren't forcing drivers to be responsible about maintaining their vehicles just walk through any large parking area and gander at the vehicles to see what i mean
    large fleets are going under dot regulations and the use auditors to verify compliance with dot regulations

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    “brake test”
    I've noticed many inspection places take it upon themselves to come up with procedures that aren't actually prescribed.

First time getting a vehicle inspected in Texas I went to one of those sticker stop places assuming it would be a simple thing. I was a little surprised they told me they had to drive it, but handed them the key without thinking much else about it. I was shocked when I saw them accelerate up the side street and slam on the brakes. I asked the highschool dropout working the counter why they were playing around and he said it was state law.

When I found a real mechanic that is competent and respectful I asked him about the brake check and he said, "Well, it didn't crash into the back the shop when I pulled it in, so the brakes work."

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    By law, a shop cannot charge more to perform the inspection that the state fee. I know plenty of shops that make money on fixit item found during inspections. Wiper blades are probably the most common fixit item I observe being replaced.
    When I relocated to Savannah, I took my vehicle to Christian Brothers for inspection, which was done free for the residents of our HOA. As they give 10% off on maintenance, I've had them perform several oil changes and other maintenance on my three vehicles.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I've noticed many inspection places take it upon themselves to come up with procedures that aren't actually prescribed.

First time getting a vehicle inspected in Texas I went to one of those sticker stop places assuming it would be a simple thing. I was a little surprised they told me they had to drive it, but handed them the key without thinking much else about it. I was shocked when I saw them accelerate up the side street and slam on the brakes. I asked the highschool dropout working the counter why they were playing around and he said it was state law.

When I found a real mechanic that is competent and respectful I asked him about the brake check and he said, "Well, it didn't crash into the back the shop when I pulled it in, so the brakes work."
    That is the actual prescribed procedure, to accelerate to 20 MPH and stop within X feet - which varies by vehicle type. I looked it up:
    1690227525163.png

Source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/getForm.ashx?id=VI-82.pdf

Eli

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015

That is the actual prescribed procedure, to accelerate to 20 MPH and stop within X feet - which varies by vehicle type. I looked it up:
    View attachment 397568
    Source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/getForm.ashx?id=VI-82.pdf

Eli
    When I was a service manager and got some of my mechanics certified to do state inspections, I had to have a brake test area marked off and approved by the powers that be before we were certified as an inspection station and allowed to do our first inspection.

That was over 12 years ago though. Things have likely changed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom