ARJ Defense ad

STEAK THREAD! How do you eat your steaks?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't eat in restaurants at all. My steak activity is all done at home and I prefer chuck steaks. We get the gas grill as hot as possible then open the lid and drop the meat on the grill. It gets flipped very soon and gets brushed with steak sauce on the top side just turned up. A few minutes, more and that baby is on the plate. If it's juicy, that's perfect! If it's dry, I'd rather give it to Jake.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I don't eat in restaurants at all. My steak activity is all done at home and I prefer chuck steaks. We get the gas grill as hot as possible then open the lid and drop the meat on the grill. It gets flipped very soon and gets brushed with steak sauce on the top side just turned up. A few minutes, more and that baby is on the plate. If it's juicy, that's perfect! If it's dry, I'd rather give it to Jake.

Jakes to good for a crappy steak!

I should bring Jake a steak next time I head to my moms place you aren't that far from her.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I buy myself a prime ribeye from the meat market, and my wife a select sirloin for that very reason...

Jew Salt, freshly ground pepper, a dash of celery salt, paprika olive oil at 500 - 3 min a side at a good inch thick got a good char rare in middle.

I am thinking you are talk about 500 degrees F. If so then you want to avoid Olive oil. Olive oil (Extra Light, Refined) will flash/smoke at < 468 F. Want to use an oil on your steak then best choice is Avocado oil with flash/smokes at 520 F. In fact the health benefits of Avocado oil make olive oil look like oil pan sludge. We use Avocado oil exclusively at our house, we did use Olive oil for years until I found out about Avocado oil..

Avocado Oil: The Healthiest Cooking Oil You're Not Using Yet

The little know oil... with big health benefits

RELATED ARTICLES

by Kelley Herring
    What if you could slash inflammation, reduce cellular damage, boost antioxidant absorption by 400%, decrease body fat (even dangerous belly fat) and protect your liver – all with a bottle of cooking oil?

Read more: Healing Gourmet - Avocado Oil: The Healthiest Cooking Oil You're Not Using Yet

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

RELATED ARTICLES

by Kelley Herring
    What if you could slash inflammation, reduce cellular damage, boost antioxidant absorption by 400%, decrease body fat (even dangerous belly fat) and protect your liver – all with a bottle of cooking oil?

Read more: Healing Gourmet - Avocado Oil: The Healthiest Cooking Oil You're Not Using Yet

I did not know about Avocado oil. I've been aware of the lower flash/smoke point of evoo which limits its use.

Looks like its time for a trip to da stow.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I did not know about Avocado oil. I've been aware of the lower flash/smoke point of evoo which limits its use.

Looks like its time for a trip to da stow.
    Not easy to find, HEB locally does not have it. Its a very mild tasting oil, looks like a light Olive, has no Avocado taste at all that I can discern. We use on on most everything. We also use Coconut oil which does taste like coconut and adds flavor to various dishes.

We use either San Lucas or Don Ruben Avocado oils. You can get on Amazon...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I am thinking you are talk about 500 degrees F. If so then you want to avoid Olive oil. Olive oil (Extra Light, Refined) will flash/smoke at &lt; 468 F. Want to use an oil on your steak then best choice is Avocado oil with flash/smokes at 520 F. In fact the health benefits of Avocado oil make olive oil look like oil pan sludge. We use Avocado oil exclusively at our house, we did use Olive oil for years until I found out about Avocado oil..

RELATED ARTICLES

by Kelley Herring

I use the flash fire for the sear...

So the flavor of Avocado oil? You say it's really light, what's it smell like?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I need to take some time and follow "Good Eats" instructions for a porterhouse:

Yeah, that does look good. That is a good show, use his recipes for other things. Cheap set up on his cooker, I like it.

Ole Cowboy, I agree with you on coconut oil, we use it almost exclusively for everything these days from popcorn (yeah, I do it the ole fashioned way, no use of the microwave) to fried eggs to brownie and waffle mixes. Will check out Avocado oil also.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I use the flash fire for the sear...

So the flavor of Avocado oil? You say it's really light, what's it smell like?
    Smell: Fragrant, but very light, undertones of coconut and olive oils, nutty, but light.

Taste: Nutty, very pleasant, smooth on the tongue, not greasy or oily, very enjoyable. So much so that I am giving up my daily intake of Fish Oil Omega caps and going with a daily shot of Avocado oil. Especially now that new studies are showing the fish oil caps not only do nothing but in the typical high doses in fact do harm...

Yeah, that does look good. That is a good show, use his recipes for other things. Cheap set up on his cooker, I like it.

Ole Cowboy, I agree with you on coconut oil, we use it almost exclusively for everything these days from popcorn (yeah, I do it the ole fashioned way, no use of the microwave) to fried eggs to brownie and waffle mixes. Will check out Avocado oil also.
    LOL almost exactly the same things we use it for. Great for sauteing veggies for the coconut taste add...

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Especially now that new studies are showing the fish oil caps not only do nothing but in the typical high doses in fact do harm...

That study was fairly bogus IMO. It did not look at whether these people had the right balance of omega 6s with the omega 3s. Also did not look at exactly how those omega 3s were being prepared. Whether you like it or not pretty much any oil when heated or not stored properly away from light is going to degrade and even turn it into something harmful long term. Then again cooking in general does this to all foods pretty much. Kind of screwy how most people don't have a strong enough immune system to eat most foods raw like every other animal on the planet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ok, focus was how the steaks have been prepared.

How do you EAT your stake?

Me, Knife right hand, Fork left. Bonus if it's a non serrated knife. I can't tell you how a dull knife has ruined a few great stakes for me.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Ok, focus was how the steaks have been prepared.

How do you EAT your stake?

Me, Knife right hand, Fork left. Bonus if it's a non serrated knife. I can't tell you how a dull knife has ruined a few great stakes for me.

Interesting you said that. When I'm out somewhere cooking for myself, which I often am, I always use my trustee mooremaker pocketknife on my steaks. Glides right through even the toughest cut of meat.

I also think that ceramic paring knives make perfect steak knives.

I'm not a fan of serrations either.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

That poor dog. Dry steaks are animal abuse!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    hah I'm just kidding yall. I needed red meat so bad I was making fake fajitas

Attachments

• fake fajitas.jpg
      fake fajitas.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 155
    Top Bottom