• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They sure sell a lot of it for it being so bad.

If your gun likes it go for it. It is dirty usually but other than that shoot away.

Which caliber and gun are you looking at?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm not a huge fan of steel cased myself but its cheap and has worked in everything I've tried it in. Its the only type I shoot in my AK.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Steel cased ammunition is perfectly fine to shoot through your firearms. The steel used in the casing is softer then that of the barrel steel, thus will not damage it. Lacquer/polymer coatings will not stick the case into the chamber. Steel does not expand as effectively as brass, thus the chamber area is fouled much faster, then if using brass cases, causing the chamber to be tight(er). (This would be the effect people attribute to the lacquer. It's just dirty.)

If your firearms chamber is already to the tighter tolerances, then steel cases may get stuck/rims ripped off, due to the fouling in the chamber tightening the dimensions even more. Test a few boxes in your gun. If it works, your GTG. If not, then you probably have a tight chamber to begin with.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    It is dirty.

it generally isn't consistent I.e. not accurate, but accurate enough.

it will sometimes rip the rim of cases off in some ARs.

i shoot it a lot.

K.O Kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Baytown
    Steel cased ammunition is perfectly fine to shoot through your firearms. The steel used in the casing is softer then that of the barrel steel, thus will not damage it. Lacquer/polymer coatings will not stick the case into the chamber. Steel does not expand as effectively as brass, thus the chamber area is fouled much faster, then if using brass cases, causing the chamber to be tight(er). (This would be the effect people attribute to the lacquer. It's just dirty.)

If your firearms chamber is already to the tighter tolerances, then steel cases may get stuck/rims ripped off, due to the fouling in the chamber tightening the dimensions even more. Test a few
    boxes in your gun. If it works, your GTG. If not, then you probably have a tight chamber to begin with.
    Wow thanks for the information ya I was looking at the at academy they haze some monarch 115 grain for 9.99 now I wish I got them :(

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    It's great! When I'm on the land walking around I dont have to worry about finding my brass in the tall weeds. It just rusts away.
    It's my fun ammo.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ya I figured since I don't reload I might aswell. But that's a whole other thread.

I buy brass ammo because I will reload again. Even if you don't the used brass is valuable to others or worth saving if you want to reload eventually.

That being said sometimes the prices on steel cased ammo is too good not to buy it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Will not physically damage your guns. Unless you have a POS that was built with horribly cheap components, the steel in those cases is way too soft to cause accelerated wear or damage to a gun.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I always had the impression that steel isn't good for your guns. Now that you guys cleared that up, I think I'm gonna start looking for steel cased 9mm as well when I'm shopping around.

Top Bottom