• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Austin
    The Academy monarch brand is the same stuff that bernal markets as bear it is decent quality steel cases ammo and is one of the factories the Russians use to produce their
    military ammunition I shoot it through my ars and glocks almost exclusively when I practice as with all steel cased ammo it is imperatives when going from steel to brass that you clean your chambers thoroughly before switching back to brass that is because brass expands much better than steel and the build up of carbon between the chamber wall and steel castings is enough to lodge fully expanded brass casings in the chamber

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Academy monarch brand is the same stuff that bernal markets as bear it is decent quality steel cases ammo and is one of the factories the Russians use to produce their
    military ammunition I shoot it through my ars and glocks almost exclusively when I practice as with all steel cased ammo it is imperatives when going from steel to brass that you clean your chambers thoroughly before switching back to brass that is because brass expands much better than steel and the build up of carbon between the chamber wall and steel castings is enough to lodge fully expanded brass casings in the chamber
    +1
    I think most of the problems happen when you've shot steel and then switched back to brass without cleaning. The only stuck cases I've ever personally witnessed in an AR was with brass cased ammo.

About the "military ammunition" thing... Remember that while military ammo needs to function reliably, it only needs to be "minute of man" accurate to be considered acceptable.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've ran about 300 rounds through my M&P15 and it just started to rip the case heads rather than extract on about 1 out of 30. The same rifle, in the same condition had no trouble cycling M193 ball which is brass.

The com-block stuff is softer than the NATO ammo as well. It will short stroke some guns depending on the setup.

K.O Kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Baytown
    Also, there are/were a ton of 7.62x39mm cases made from brass, for military use. Some of the original M43 was brass cased. The main reason they go with steel is because it's cheaper.

One advantage 7.62x39mm does have is the tapered case makes it easy to extract.

Look at it like this: People saying that you're going to wear parts out with steel in a high-quality gun like an AR are also telling you that steel runs fine in a low-end gun like an AK. Which of those have better materials? Which extractor do you think is going to be made of a higher quality steel, with better heat treatment? Which chamber will have chatter marks in it from using a dull cutter? Which barrel will have the better steel?

Sorry, but you're just not going to scratch that end mill with a soup can.
    I guess you've got a point.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Biggest issue I've found with steel cased ammo is that it's mostly Com-block stuff. I've noticed inconsistencies in charge as the recoil from one round to the other varies quite a bit. Also, the Tula tends to be some of the dirtiest ammo I've shot. But so long as your gun will reliably cycle it, it should be fine. Keep your gun clean. Even IF the steel cased stuff wears on your barrel chamber faster, by the time you wear it out you'd have saved more than enough to replace it given the cost difference vs. brass.

That said, I prefer the brass. Especially if I shoot where I can police my own brass.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've ran about 300 rounds through my M&P15 and it just started to rip the case heads rather than extract on about 1 out of 30. The same rifle, in the same condition had no trouble cycling M193 ball which is brass.

The com-block stuff is softer than the NATO ammo as well. It will short stroke some guns depending on the setup.

At the last TXMG shoot, there was a gentleman with a brand new LaRue PredatAR that would not fully cycle on the Russian ammo. When he got some ammo that's loaded to spec into the gun, it ran fine. I know that those rifles use a red Sprinco spring, and I'd expect that they're not over-gassed like a lot of less expensive rifles are.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    At the last TXMG shoot, there was a gentleman with a brand new LaRue PredatAR that would not fully cycle on the Russian ammo. When he got some ammo that's loaded to spec into the gun, it ran fine. I know that those rifles use a red Sprinco spring, and I'd expect that they're not over-gassed like a lot of less expensive rifles are.
    Maybe less expensive rifles aren't over gassed at all; they just expect their customers to use the cheaper/weaker ammo ;)

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock

My mp15 eats steel for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and benadryl cocktail bedtime.

Top Bottom