• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Oh noooo.... I will ask before getting fired

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cool.
    Gimme!
    I'm a scavenger. I'll take what you can give.

Trey. If you can get some to your area, I'll take it from there.

Thanks guys!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yes, actually they do. In fact, the really thick stuff (if it's mild steel) is the worst. Pockmarks in the steel focus bullet fragments back toward the firing line. If you're going to shoot mild steel with high velocity rounds, use the thin stuff and just go ahead and poke clean holes all the way through it. Shooting 1" thick mild steel with, say, a .308 just creates a deep crater. The next projectile that goes into that crater will be focused right back at the firing line.

I've been cut a number of time by bullets impacting pockmarked mild steel targets at 50 meters and then the bullet fragments coming straight back towards me. I won't shoot mild steel at under 100 yards (sometimes not even then) if the rifle guys have already had a chance to tear it up.

Now, all that changes if you're shooting nothing but low-speed projectiles. Mild steel targets, of any reasonable thickness (at least 3/8") and even set pretty close, are good to go forever if you're just shooting .45 hardball. But once a single deep pockmark is put on the target, it's done. Move it way out yonder and finish destroying it with rifles.

Whatever steel you shoot, you should hang it at an downward angle to help deflect ricochet down to the ground.

I have been shot in the shoulder with a jacket from a 30.06
    it hurt like hell. There were about 5 people on the line at a private range during a 4th of July event.
    There was a container of binary exploding target out at about 60 yards laying in the sandy soil. Some guy whips out the 06 and tries several times to hit it. He couldn't so he saved his last round and shot a 18 inch steel gong instead.

The gong was on a chain and not at an angle to deflect ricochet downward(found that out later)
    I remember hearing first, then seeing the projectile coming back at us. It made a whistling sound and was headed right for my thoracic triangle. I folded my left knee and tried to duck it and it caught me in the left shoulder. Cut through my shirt and stuck in my skin. It was hot as hell when I pulled it out of my shoulder and threw it on the ground.

I'm a tall guy, 6'6", if it had hit the guy next to me, it would have smacked him in his mouth

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What's needed to stop a bunch of 7.62 NATO?

no idea on that one. with rifle, I only shoot 223/556 at steel out at 100. Other than that, its paper punching.
    I mainly ring steel with pistols

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Whatever steel you shoot, you should hang it at an downward angle to help deflect ricochet down to the ground.

I have been shot in the shoulder with a jacket from a 30.06
    it hurt like hell. There were about 5 people on the line at a private range during a 4th of July event.
    There was a container of binary exploding target out at about 60 yards laying in the sandy soil. Some guy whips out the 06 and tries several times to hit it. He couldn't so he saved his last round and shot a 18 inch steel gong instead.

The gong was on a chain and not at an angle to deflect ricochet downward(found that out later)
    I remember hearing first, then seeing the projectile coming back at us. It made a whistling sound and was headed right for my thoracic triangle. I folded my left knee and tried to duck it and it caught me in the left shoulder. Cut through my shirt and stuck in my skin. It was hot as hell when I pulled it out of my shoulder and threw it on the ground.

I'm a tall guy, 6'6", if it had hit the guy next to me, it would have smacked him in his mouth
    Ouch. I caught a piece of jacket in my leg out at Hicksville once off the pistol lane. Burned like a sob.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom