• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not many people are going to buy the same gun in 2 different calibers, one in 9mm and the other in a rare, expensive cartridge that has slightly worse performance than 9mm but gives an extra 2-3 rounds.
    Other than it being rare and having an extra 2-3 rounds, that description sounds a lot like .380.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Academy in Tomball has had a Shield EZ in 30 Super Carry for a while now. It hasn't sold, because they have not gotten even one single box of ammo to go with it.

I like the concept of the round, honestly. Its hotter loads equal 9mm baseline performance, which is acceptable. The benefit of 20% more ammo on tap is where it shines.

The problems are though - they released this round at the height of ammo scarcity - if we can't get mainstream calibers, who in their right mind is going to pay .380 prices (or more) for an unproven brand new round? Not damn many.

The only main stream gun maker putting .30SC guns out widely right now is Smith & Wesson. Yeah, there were 2 or 3 other makers who are said to make guns in it, including Nighthawk, IIRC but I have only ever seen a Smith & Wesson in person, in that caliber. Smith has 3 models released in it - and they're all compact / subcompact pistols. Not a single duty size gun out to let people see how performance is in a longer barrel and heavier gun. Maybe it shoots laser flat in a full frame gun. An M&P full size in .30SC should have 21+1 rounds on tap in the flush fit magazine. A compact double stack gun like the M&P Compact, Glock 19, or Walther PDP would have 18 rounds in a flush fit mag.

If ammo was widely available, and it had wide support from other gun makers - I wouldn't mind getting 20% more rounds in my gun. But neither of those conditions are met. Until .30SC can be had at or below 9mm prices, its going to flop. Until you get Glock, Sig, Springfield, HK, Ruger, Walther and *gag* Taurus on board with making guns in that caliber, its going to flop.

Someone spending Nighthawk money on a gun that they can't get ammo for? Sure, could happen. Safe queens and collector pieces, I suppose.

People comparing the .30SC to .380 or 9x18 energy wise are ignoring the increased capacity as the real benefit there. .380 and 9x18 are suitable enough defensive rounds with the right loads. .30SC should be suitable with the right loads.

CCI / Speer isn't making ammo yet, that I have heard, nor is Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Barnes, etc. And its not like we'll be getting Wolff or Tula in .30SC any time soon.

Those of us who have played the "ooo shiney" game with new calibers and then watched them not live up tot he hype, or not get wide support are probably not itching to go do it all again.

For me it was .357Sig - when it was the new hotness I got a Sig in .357Sig. I found the round to be no better in shootability or accuracy than 9mm, .40, or .45, while paying .45 prices for 9mm size hole punchers.

It looked like LE would adopt the .357 Sig more widely - the gun rags sure pushed it back in the day, but it never caught on like the .40 did. Now that 9mm rounds are better - even LE have ditched 40's by and large and gone back to 9mm because of cheaper ammo with similar performance (with exception of certain barrier penetration anyway)

I haven't seen a gun in .357 Sig in person in years. Glock still makes it, but Sig doesn't even make a Sig P320 in that caliber. When I look at Sig's website the *only* calibers they show the P320 in (and I looked at half a dozen different versions of it, including the high dollar stuff) are 9mm and .45ACP - not even .40 is listed.

Glock tried with the .45 GAP - it was an answer to "how do we get a .45 in a 9mm size gun" - it just wasn't the right answer. Only Springfield and Glock made readily available guns in the caliber, then Springfield / HS were like "Oh hey, just joking with that GAP shit - here's an XD in .45ACP with the same grip circumference as our 9mm pistol" and they dropped GAP guns like a hot potato. Glock even admitted defeat and Gaston's namesake cartridge faded into obscurity.

.30SC is probably destined to do the same. There is going to be a ton of hype - Federal and Smith & Wesson have pushed the guns / round in the YouTube circuit for sure, and in the print gun rags - but at 50% + more cost than 9mm, its not going to work.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Not a single duty size gun out to let people see how performance is in a longer barrel and heavier gun...
    Kind like there’s less than a handful of “duty” gun size .380ACP. The CZ-83 is probably closest to fitting that description.

I’m of the belief LE agency procurements are based more on who’s giving the best deal than who’s product is objectively superior.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Kind like there’s less than a handful of “duty” gun size .380ACP. The CZ-83 is probably closest to fitting that description.

I’m of the belief LE agency procurements are based more on who’s giving the best deal than who’s product is objectively superior.

That worked for Glock when they were building up their reputation / brand. Not that Glocks didn't wind up proving themselves, but they're notorious for giving away their guns just to get Glocks in police holsters, because its great marketing, and they got to sell those trade-in guns for at least what it actually cost Glock if not more, so they still profited there.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My first time to hear of it.

Sounds Niche And expensive. I wonder why. I would be surprised if these new calibers make them much money.

Top Bottom