• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    I had a Kahr CW9 and thought it was a great little gun. Two problems: 1 -- I hated shooting it, and 2 -- I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. It just didn't agree with me, and since I hated shooting it, didn't want to practice enough to get good with it. Sold it.
    Gun Zone Deals

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    The pinky floating around under the grip is what's new to me. Not sure I could get used to that.

I carry an HK P2000SK. It takes a while to get used to the floating pinky, but I can now shoot the SK just as accurately up to 10yds out as my full grip P30L grouping in the little 2" diamonds on the rifle spotting targets.

If I shoot 100 rounds through the SK, though, my pinky gets a bit numb from the recoil, so I don't do that very often anymore.

I love the way the SK conceals. I can wear fitted shirts, tucked in and it is completely hidden.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I like the idea of a small revolver too. I was just thinking of 40 or 45's because that is the ammo I already have. I guess I should get out of that mindset, it is limiting my options too much. (and I don't want to cut into my AR savings too much...lol)

For better or for worse, sub-compact guns are not usually fun guns to shoot. This has the benefit of not requiring as much ammo as the other guns that you own.

usaf_vito

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    The pinky not having a place to sit is definitely the biggest turn-off about a subcompact...I agree with the thickness of the pistol being far more important for ease of carry, especially when you're going compact vs subcompact. Compacts are small enough, imo.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well, I suck with handguns, so I'm not the best guy to ask... however...

I have a Glock 30 and really like it. When I first held it, I wasn't impressed with the ergonomics. When I brought it to the range, however, I was blown away by how well it shot. I shot a lot better with it than with my full-sized M&P 45, and almost all my other handguns, except for the old .357. There's something about the way it recoils that just suits the way that I tend to shoot... again, I'm bad with a pistol. I've spoken with other people who feel the same way about the G30 - it's a polarizing weapon that you either love or hate. And there's something "special" about the way it recoils. Anyhow, it was my favorite handgun, until I made the mistake of holding a Sig.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    The whole argument of how a CHL weapon feels or how well it shoots is sometimes funny to discuss. A CHL weapon - 9/10 times - won't be drawn, aimed, and fired in a controlled, range environment...far from it. Hell, that's why most of us have several weapons - some for range right, competitions, vehicle carry, personal carry, HD, etc.

I've had one personal experience years ago in Montana and had to draw my weapon ( I am military, not a LEO). I was at a rest stop in the middle of BFE carrying a Taurus .380 almost as an after thought in my front pocket. I was a beginner with carry weapons and only owned a Glock 17 and the Taurus- never really thought of carrying that big Glock. Anyway, the BLUF is that I got jumped in the rest stop. Got slammed against a mirror by a bad dude and thrown to the ground. As I laid on my back, dazed and bleeding, with the guy standing over me yelling for my wallet (didn't see a weapon), I pulled instead my .380 and pointed it at him. The guy swore at me and ran out the door, leaving rubber in the parking lot. PONT: If I were carrying a larger weapon on my back- I would have been screwed.- my personal opinion I really didn't have to worry about missing my target since dude was 5 feet from my face. When it comes to settling most confrontations- my thoughts are to be able to react quickly and with enough firepower to end the fight. A .380 from 5ft is just as good as a 9mm or .45...if you are looking to slow/stop someone from causing you harm (not saying they make the same hole- but getting shot is getting shot!). So, I'm sold on any size weapon which I can carry successfully - based on my size and clothing. From a .380 to a .45 - carry what you can conceal, draw, and kill. My two cents guys...don't sweat that you can't hit a 2" circle from 10yds with your Kahr CW45!!

Great thread- sharing info is always good.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Well, I suck with handguns, so I'm not the best guy to ask... however...

I have a Glock 30 and really like it. When I first held it, I wasn't impressed with the ergonomics. When I brought it to the range, however, I was blown away by how well it shot. I shot a lot better with it than with my full-sized M&P 45, and almost all my other handguns, except for the old .357. There's something about the way it recoils that just suits the way that I tend to shoot... again, I'm bad with a pistol. I've spoken with other people who feel the same way about the G30 - it's a polarizing weapon that you either love or hate. And there's something "special" about the way it recoils. Anyhow, it was my favorite handgun, until I made the mistake of holding a Sig.

Gotta find a friend with a Glock 30- I hear they are almost as good as an Xd .45c. They look very much the same...did you try an xD as well?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I have a Glock 27 and love it. Very concealable and the double recoil system gives me accurate and almost recoiless shots. I love controling the .40 S&W caliber.

If you're around my parts, I'd let you shoot it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I dislike sub-compact guns, as most of the time they are modified to fit your entire hand thus negating the need for a sub-compact gun. An example being a G26 or XD-SC, they often have pinky extensions or the larger mags installed, which is great for getting your hand on it, but you just made the gun the same length, in terms of concealment, as the larger version. You've effectively given up capacity, control, accuracy, and reliability for the sake of 0.25" of concealment potential. The gun isn't any narrower in the case of 1911s, XDs, Glocks, etc.

What makes a good compact pistol is that it fits your hand, is slim, and is safe. I might be biased, but that to me screams Officer's size 1911. Other models out there are J-Frames, Walther PPS / PK-380, Glock 19 / 23 / 32 / 36, and the "Service" model XDs.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Barrel length is not what is hard to conceal it's the size of the grip. There are trade offs to reduce grip size like less ammo capacity and no place for the pinky to ride. I carry my MP 9c with the smallest magazine to make it easier to conceal. I don't have a problem with the pinky under the grip since accuracy of a carry gun is not usually that important over about seven yards. But even with the pinky underneath it is still very easy to control and very accurate.
    Conceal carrying anything as compact as a loaded semi auto pistol is kinda like carrying a small brick. That's why a good holster and belt make a big difference. In warmer weather I most often carry my trusty little snubbie revolver.

Alex23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    NTX
    I love my Glock 36. It is slim and small enough to conceal - much more so than the Glock 30. I even like shooting it for small periods of time.

It's not a 'fun' gun to shoot but it's not a real pain either like some of those tiny .357 mag revolvers.

Bottom line is it is a CHL gun for close range defense. Its not meant to be a fun gun.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    The pinky floating around under the grip is what's new to me. Not sure I could get used to that.

You're not supposed to get use to it. I love carrying my G26, as it simply disappears. That short grip doesn't print at all, which is why it's so short. I have range guns to shoot, but the G26 is a carry gun and sees only occasional use. I can hold a group just fine with two fingers. If I wanted 3 fingers, I'd buy a G19. The Pierce grip only serves to destroy the concealability of the G26...IMHO. Again, you might as well buy a G19.

I don't have a problem with the pinky under the grip since accuracy of a carry gun is not usually that important over about seven yards.

Exactly.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Hm... I agree that a lot of carry guns aren't any fun to shoot. That's why I'm a tiresome one-note band, singing the praises of the Walther PPS. 0.9" thick, easy to carry in an IWB holster, and pleasant to shoot. Now if they only cost the same as a Taurus... Oh, and you can adjust the grip length with a choice of 6/7/8 round magazines. I carry mine 7+1 with an 8 round spare.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I absolutely love my G27, it also is the only semi-auto I own that I can carry while driving my car due to the sportseats.
    I only use the regular short mags that come with it & shoot it every chance I get.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Absolutely love my G30. The only modification I've made to it is adding an extended slide release switch, I feel that Glock's stock switch was too small for my liking.

ehs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I love my Springfield sub-compact 40. I carry it everyday, and plan on getting one for the better half. I also have its big brother tactical for home defense. Only change done was the pearce grip piece for the magazine. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom