• ...and so much more!
  • Discreet Ballistics

www.discreetballistics.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Plainfield, NH
    Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for being a sponsor.
    Your question is fairly vague, what do you actually want to know?

Thank you. I probably should have specified shooting subsonic ammunition through a silencer. I'd like to know:
    1. If folks view it more as a novelty or as ammunition that can be used for home defense/hunting
    2. What their experience has been when it comes to using subsonic for hunting
    3. What their experience has been with commercially manufactured subsonic ammo.
    Lynx Defense

Discreet Ballistics

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Plainfield, NH
    I'm loading some subsonic 300BLK presently to use in my AR pistol. Working on the correct formula to be fairly accurate, quiet, and still work the bolt enough to pick up the next round. Planning on adding a suppressor at a later date.

That's great to hear you've taken the dive into 300BLK. I'd recommend trying to use a can to figure out your loads. If you're using a standard (non-adjustable) gas block there may be a significant difference cycling between shooting with and without a can...

Discreet Ballistics

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Plainfield, NH
    The OP specifically asked about experience with subsonic ammo. I'll try to stick to that.
    • Shooting experiences
      • The classic .38 Special HBWC loads are something I'm always stocked up on. I can reload stuff such as Vaquero referenced. Out of any of my .38 revolvers, they're a joy to shoot.
      • Subsonic, heavy-for-caliber high-BC projectiles are wonderful for their reduced wind drift. There are shooting games that basically live in the transonic velocity region but you never have to deal with transonic weirdness if you launch your bullets slowly enough.
        • If the OP wants a use case in pistol silhouette, start a conversation with me. The numbers would cause most readers eyes to glaze over.
    • Non-shooting experiences
      • In some centerfire chamberings, anything marketed as "subsonic" tends to be too high-priced. For .308 Win and .223, subsonic ammo is apparently some sort of low-volume boutique industry or at least it views itself as such. In those two chamberings, speaking only of brass-cased ammo, the cheapest subsonic ammo is roughly twice the price of supersonic practice-grade ammo. I need somebody to explain that to me.
    Thanks for your detailed reply. I run one of those "low volume boutique" companies haha. We develop and load centerfire rifle subsonic offerings in 308, 300BLK and 8.6 Creedmoor. Probably the biggest reason for the higher price of subsonic ammo is the price of the heavier 30 cal projectiles (220gr SMK for example) which upwards of 3x more expensive than pulled 147gr FMJs. Also, the most effective subsonic projectiles that are designed to expand are machined copper and therefore quite expensive to manufacture - but great fun to develop!

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Thank you. I probably should have specified shooting subsonic ammunition through a silencer. I'd like to know:
    1. If folks view it more as a novelty or as ammunition that can be used for home defense/hunting
    Both. I get a big kick out of ringing steel at 200 yards with suppressed subsonic 22LR, where the loudest noise is my laughter following each shot. I've also taken deer with a suppressed subsonic 300 BLK and enjoyed the ability to protect my hearing without deadening surrounding natural sounds. I can see it being helpful in a home defense situation, if used in a suppressed firearm.

2. What their experience has been when it comes to using subsonic for hunting
    Great for taking out squirrels 'n such without annoying the neighbors. I feel comfortable using subsonic 300 BLK at shorter ranges for deer.

3. What their experience has been with commercially manufactured subsonic ammo.
    I've tried GemTech and Remington in 300 BLK. They've been okay but my favorite sub load comes from TomKat Ammunition. They make a great 300 BLK and some very nice 9mm.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe the OP would consider sending 1 or 2 members a sample of their ammo, so that those with experience shooting subsonic can compare?

ETA: I have no idea how expensive this could actually end up being, just a thought.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Might not be a bad idea. I'm curious about these machined projectiles, but not curious to buy something other than what I have been buying for years. I'm not the best option for testing though either, I'd rather see someone do some pretty objective work compared to me shooting hard drives or iPads with it.

Discreet Ballistics

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2018
    Plainfield, NH
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe the OP would consider sending 1 or 2 members a sample of their ammo, so that those with experience shooting subsonic can compare?

ETA: I have no idea how expensive this could actually end up being, just a thought.
    we'd be very interested to get feedback from those here who shoot subsonic 300BLK and 308Win

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Since all subsonic ammo is velocity limited, regardless of caliber they all have very similar ballistics.

As a result, 9mm 147g is the cheapest centerfire subsonic ammo. Please explain to me why you would use anything else. It cycles in every 9mm that I have ever shot. You have a choice of pistol, or carbine to suit your needs.

YMMV

paulbow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Texarkana
    Since all subsonic ammo is velocity limited, regardless of caliber they all have very similar ballistics.

As a result, 9mm 147g is the cheapest centerfire subsonic ammo. Please explain to me why you would use anything else. It cycles in every 9mm that I have ever shot. You have a choice of pistol, or carbine to suit your needs.

YMMV

300bo is can do a few more things than a 9mm. Smaller bore plus heavier projectiles means a better ballistic coefficient so the effective range will be a little better. All 30 cal cans will also work well for 300bo while a 9mm pistol can may not be ideal on a carbine.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Wanted to get some opinions on what folks here think of subsonic ammunition. What have your experiences been?
    I have a good friend who shoots a lot of Sub .22. He lives in a neighborhood around a lake, its heavily wooded and loaded with squirrels, which do major damage to homes. He is a gun guy and if his neighbors even knew that they would vote him off the island for sure, so he kills off the squirrels with his Ruger 10/22 with a can, no one knows what he is doing since its so slient. Sub ammo has a time and place and this is one of them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    He's regularly shooting a .22 in his neighborhood?
    Seems like a high powered pellet gun would be more appropriate.
    I could very well be wrong.

Just my .02

Top Bottom