• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Since it doesn't break the sound limit. There's no sonic boom. Without a suppressor, you still get a thunder crack. When the hot gas hits the colder air outside the barrel.

I've shot untold numbers of sub sonic and hyper sonic. Without a suppressor the sub sonic really doesn't offer much if anything over the hyper sonic.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    CCI 22 quiet is subsonic, and I like it alot. Sounds like a pellet gun coming out of my old Marlin bolt action, and yet cycles in my old Rem Model 12.

Would like to develop a load to shoot from a 300 Blk pistol, unsuppressed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The OP specifically asked about experience with subsonic ammo. I'll try to stick to that.
    • Shooting experiences
      • The classic .38 Special HBWC loads are something I'm always stocked up on. I can reload stuff such as Vaquero referenced. Out of any of my .38 revolvers, they're a joy to shoot.
      • Subsonic, heavy-for-caliber high-BC projectiles are wonderful for their reduced wind drift. There are shooting games that basically live in the transonic velocity region but you never have to deal with transonic weirdness if you launch your bullets slowly enough.
        • If the OP wants a use case in pistol silhouette, start a conversation with me. The numbers would cause most readers eyes to glaze over.
    • Non-shooting experiences
      • In some centerfire chamberings, anything marketed as "subsonic" tends to be too high-priced. For .308 Win and .223, subsonic ammo is apparently some sort of low-volume boutique industry or at least it views itself as such. In those two chamberings, speaking only of brass-cased ammo, the cheapest subsonic ammo is roughly twice the price of supersonic practice-grade ammo. I need somebody to explain that to me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I shoot .22 CCI subsonic in a few revolvers, lever and bolt action rifles; and I like it. Yes, performance is degraded; but it is about as loud as a firecracker so it is easier on the ears and less noticeable to anyone who may hear the report. It is not something I shoot a lot, but I like keeping a fair amount on hand. Does that answer your question?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I shoot .22 CCI subsonic in a few revolvers, lever and bolt action rifles; and I like it. Yes, performance is degraded; but it is about as loud as a firecracker so it is easier on the ears and less noticeable to anyone who may hear the report. It is not something I shoot a lot, but I like keeping a fair amount on hand. Does that answer your question?

I'm still waiting to see what the actual question is...

Top Bottom