Patriot Mobile

Suggestion for new Riding Lawmower, please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I need a new rider. I have a zero- turn -an old John Deere z-series that just keeps going. I was going to purchase a new zero-turn, but my applications are varied. So, I've decided to keep the zero-turn for use on the fenced yard where I have multiple trees , and buy a traditional riding lawn mower to mow a couple smalls fields and along the sides of my 1/2 mile driveway.

Yes, I have a compact Mahindra tractor and a shredder, but I grimace at the thought of attaching the shredder every time I need to mow. And if I leave it attached it limits its primary use as a front-end loader.

The zero-turn is not really a good match for mowing along the driveway or the fields that I have to mow, because I have to go really slow anyway because of the Johnson grass.

I figure I can save some money if I don't buy another zero-turn and try to make the one I have last by only using it for the fenced yard with all the trees.

So, what do you suggest?
    Husqvarna, CubCadet, John Deere, others?

My current John Deere is somewhere around 1,700 hrs and the B&S engine has been a champ.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If the riding mower is going to get limited duty, you might look at getting a good older mower in good condition, at a way much cheaper price point than buying a new one.

Honestly, I have only bought used riding mowers in the last 25 years. I can buy several for what one brand new one costs. The one I have currently is a 28 year old Montgomery Wards with the L-head twin cylinder B&S engine.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Another point to consider, disregard the color or name on the mower. There are only about three or four manufacturers of riding mowers in the US. And they make mowers for everyone, with the only difference many times being the colors and the decals.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Good advice. The only one I won't buy would be Craftsman. That's all my dad would (or Lawnboy), and when Sears went to crap he got burned on the last several he bought. I tend to hold grudges.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The JD zero turn I currently have? I'm the 5th owner. A friend of my youngest son bought it new, then sold it to my youngest son about a year after due to a divorce. Then my oldest son bought it for my younger son and used it for about a year. Then my brother-in-law bought it for my oldest son and used it for about a year. I bought it for my brother-in-law and I've been using it for the last 5 Years

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    No farm animals. I finally off-loaded the peacocks, two stray cats, and my on-again, off-again g/f and her pack of 8 dogs. I'm enjoying the quiet...

If only there were some quiet, good looking women around here that still had teeth...

For now, it's just me and Josephine, my Rhodesian Ridgeback. She is pretty quiet, and has all her teeth.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My fil and friend have Cub. I gambled with a husqvarna and I gotta say dude it’s turned into a honey badger. It has taken a beating. I killed the engine twice due to steel wire. Both times it started right back up and the spindly still has no play. My property is has few flat spots...I can feel the dang thing flex and it’s been holding together for a while. I ever get a crack in the frame I’ll just weld it.

I’m not nice to my husqvarna. My vote is husqvarna.

Deck height could be higher and sometimes I’ll pile drive my deck and spindle into hard gumbo and ant mounts; she likes it.

5A403026-C57E-4B00-B096-5F0D909BC5E6.jpeg

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I passed on a little JD diesel rider when I first bought this place. Mistake, I'm sure.
    Hey Skgun,

Diesel. I have an old diesel (traded a revolver for)...and a 5' three point hitch King Kutter deck.

About 1/2 gallon of fuel per acre.

The last gas riding mower I had? About 2-1/2 to 3 gallons per acre...

If? You can find one with the Jap 3 cylinder diesel? buy it NOW!

Off Road Fuel is about sevent-five cents a gallon less ......than on road fuel...

Hope this helps...

Later, Mark

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    If the riding mower is going to get limited duty, you might look at getting a good older mower in good condition, at a way much cheaper price point than buying a new one.

Honestly, I have only bought used riding mowers in the last 25 years. I can buy several for what one brand new one costs. The one I have currently is a 28 year old Montgomery Wards with the L-head twin cylinder B&S engine.

That what I did when I got mine - bought it used at half price. Got super lucky because it was on my short list for the model I wanted.

Retail at the time was about $3200 and I paid half that for a one-year-old model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That what I did when I got mine - bought it used at half price. Got super lucky because it was on my short list for the model I wanted.

Retail at the time was about $3200 and I paid half that for a one-year-old model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I haven't paid over $500 for a riding mower in over twenty five years now. And I have worn a few out mowing and maintaining our property. The parts i tend to wear our or break, (like belts and blades) are not covered under warranty anyways.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    If I was in your shoes, I‘d be on the lookout for an older IH cub cadet from the ‘70s. Cast iron Kholer motors will run a long time and are rebuildable. Std gear box or hydrostatic if that’s your thing. Can double as a tow motor to ferry trailers around and you can even get a few implements. Dad had one when I was a kid. He had a belly mower that was on it almost all the time because that’s what I cut the grass with, but he also had a disc that would attach to the back and a blade on the front. Actually it was probably a snow plow attachment now that I think about it, but he used it to push around dirt. For anything new, be prepared for the safety nannies, and look forward to trouble shooting no start situations. Could be something with the brake switch, seat switch, clutch switch, or it could possibly be a legit engine or starter issue. Ask me how I know this.

Top Bottom