APOD Firearms

Suggestion for new Riding Lawmower, please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I bought a Cub Cadet with the Kawaski engine. Salesman warned of the Koehler engine being Chicom. 42 inch cutting deck is big enough for for my 1/2 acre. It's a year old and I need to do the 100 hour maintaince soon. The model I bought can only be had at dealers, suposedly the big box stores sell the cheaper mowers.

I wish the seat would swivel & had more suspension in it are my only bitches about it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If I was in your shoes, I‘d be on the lookout for an older IH cub cadet from the ‘70s. Cast iron Kholer motors will run a long time and are rebuildable. Std gear box or hydrostatic if that’s your thing. Can double as a tow motor to ferry trailers around and you can even get a few implements. Dad had one when I was a kid. He had a belly mower that was on it almost all the time because that’s what I cut the grass with, but he also had a disc that would attach to the back and a blade on the front. Actually it was probably a snow plow attachment now that I think about it, but he used it to push around dirt. For anything new, be prepared for the safety nannies, and look forward to trouble shooting no start situations. Could be something with the brake switch, seat switch, clutch switch, or it could possibly be a legit engine or starter issue. Ask me how I know this.
    Those were the pre-MTD Cub Cadets.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The best engine I ever owned was Tecumseh. It was on a push mower I bought at the BX on Lackland AFB back in 1989. My dad was a Briggs & Stratton man, and I bought it not knowing a thing about Tecumseh. It lasted through two marriages and 20 years + of abuse!

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    We went through 4 new riding mowers, a couple of them only running a few hours before having problems. Then we got a John Deere. 4 years later it's as good as new. I baby it, I'm as careful and gentle as can be, but I'm that way with all tools. When we sell this house, hopefully this year if wife's health doesn't get worse, the rider and other lawn stuff will convey because I don't intend to do yard work again. If I had to get another, it would be another JD.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If possible, look for a lawn or garden tractor. They look similar to a riding mower, but are usually much heavier duty machines. A lot of the older Cub Cadets are actually lawn or garden tractors and not a riding mower. John Deere, Ford, Kubota and Simplicity are other good garden tractors to look for. Some even came with small water cooled diesel engines, and manual transaxles.

ETA: link for information.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    All I got on this subject.
    60faf8ad7e6cafa007ac1938bfa48b09.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We went through 4 new riding mowers, a couple of them only running a few hours before having problems. Then we got a John Deere. 4 years later it's as good as new. I baby it, I'm as careful and gentle as can be, but I'm that way with all tools. When we sell this house, hopefully this year if wife's health doesn't get worse, the rider and other lawn stuff will convey because I don't intend to do yard work again. If I had to get another, it would be another JD.
    I really was planning on yard work once we moved either. Then I figured out I needed something to do with my time. Then I did the math & bought the mower. I gave awaythings I should have kept like my chain saw, but I really use to watch my oldest friend with fear when he used his, besides its out of my weight limitations.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    My fil and friend have Cub. I gambled with a husqvarna and I gotta say dude it’s turned into a honey badger. It has taken a beating. I killed the engine twice due to steel wire. Both times it started right back up and the spindly still has no play. My property is has few flat spots...I can feel the dang thing flex and it’s been holding together for a while. I ever get a crack in the frame I’ll just weld it.

I’m not nice to my husqvarna. My vote is husqvarna.

Deck height could be higher and sometimes I’ll pile drive my deck and spindle into hard gumbo and ant mounts; she likes it.

View attachment 320509
    I agree, I got 1 for free that someone used once and parked. Flushed gas, new battery, sharpened blade and cleaned it up. Run like a champ, zero issues.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Got a kholer in my mower and it’s fine. I wouldn’t think one would be without an oil pump and be gravity fed but it’s possible they still use em. I did an oil change at 10 hours for brake in and just keep up on the engine. Maybe I got a lucky one. Lol.

Top Bottom