• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'd suggest picking up a copy of Boston's Gun Bible and reading his review of the AR-10 as well as the other three big MBRs before making your purchase. It will likely make you much more informed on the subject.
    Texas SOT

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    Ever heard of "professional" sniper using a semi? There must be a good reason for it but I am no expert.

My understanding is that a bolt action doesn't require the "slack"
    of an auto loader, so the tolerances can be tighter and you can
    get a more accurate shot out of it. Or so I have read/heard.

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    I'd suggest picking up a copy of Boston's Gun Bible and reading his review of the AR-10 as well as the other three big MBRs before making your purchase. It will likely make you much more informed on the subject.

Thanks I will do that for sure

atacorion

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    Barrel length has little to do with accuracy, and much more to do with velocity at ranges, I dig my SR-25 EMC and have shot it out to 750 yards an its only rocking a 16 in barrel.

If I was you I'd buy a lower and build it myself, you can build something better than a DPMS if you do it over time and possibly for around 1500$

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Referring to barrel length, I'd direct you to read the Guns & Ammo report on the LWRCI REPR written by Tom Beckstrand.
    He tested three different barrel lengths with military Lake City 175 grain Sierra MatchKing rounds.
    The 12 inch barrel averaged 2257fps.
    The 16 inch barrel averaged 2441fps - obviously about 200fps faster.
    The 20 inch barrel averaged 2497fps. Only about 50fps faster.

It's a different rifle that uses a new process for the barrel other than the traditional chrome lining, but the velocity difference from the different length barrels is worth noting. It would seem, just from this (obviously you'd want more than one source for actual research - but you get the idea) that most of the powder is burned up at the 16 inch mark.
    12 inch would be just fine, and ideal for CQB, if that's your thing, but for most of us regular gun owners, I think 16, 18 or 20 would be just fine.
    16 would be less barrel to clean, FYI (wink, wink).

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    BTW - not implying that you should get the REPR. That's a great rifle, but the damn thing costs three times more than the DPMS, which is also a great rifle.

I just used the article to illustrate the velocity difference from the stated barrel lengths.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I recently purchased two of the DPMS Oracles, picked up a couple carry handles and front sites from CTD, BOTH at a 100 yds are dead on using 150 gr BVAC ammo. I can hold a tighter group with my KAC and glass, but for iron sites these are GREAT.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I had a Sportical 16" DPMS that would put 3 rounds in the same hole at 100. That was good enough for me. $900

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    I'm pretty fond of my Armalite. It's a beast and has never had the slightest of hiccups on me. Plus I'm a big M1a guy and the mags are EASY to mod with a jig, dremel tool and a little time.... Just my .02 cents.

Top Bottom