• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Laredo
    Hello all, first post, wanted to introduce myself first, I live in Laredo down here on the border, work for LE. Originally from Alabama (ROLL TIDE).

Anyway, I have a LWRC M6A2 and I want to (am getting) a suppressor for it. Now my question is, what do yall think is one of the better ones to get? I have been looking at the GemTech Halo cause it requires nothing else, it just snaps on, but willing to get any thing really. I am not really concerned about weight, length, I want the best one for sound reduction. So thanks for all the serious replies.
    Target Sports

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You are down in kirkpatricks area aren't you?

Aac m42000 or surefire fa556-212k.

Gemtech g5 is a 3rd place.

M42k is best of the bunch based on efficiency weight length and mount design.

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    You're LE, so hopefully you have heard a 5.56mm with a suppressor. If not, I'd recommend you listen to a few. People have an unrealistic notion of what a suppressor can do, and it's especially off with rifle cartridges. A 5.56mm round with a silencer isn't silent, it can be loud enough to still require hearing protection. It changes the tone, much of the harsh CRACK is gone, muzzle blast is tamed, but it isn't all that quiet.

.22LR can be made "Hollywood quiet" and subsonic pistol cartridges can be impressively suppressed, but it still isn't anything like the movies. A .22 pistol like a Ruger MK2 sounds a lot like a pneumatic nail gun.

^^ This wasn't addressed to you necessarily, just general observations on silencers. I've run into a bunch of folk that dropped $800 on a can for their AR and have been VERY disappointed at the reality of silencers. Good luck, if you know what it's like then you'll definitely enjoy it. Silencers should be 100% over-the-counter, like buying a muffler for your dirt bike or lawn mower. Normally people WANT their neighbor's loud stuff to be quiet!

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    I have a buddy in laredo with a m42000 he is BP, if you wanna hear what one sounds like in real life!!

USMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Laredo
    Yes I have heard serveral suppressed before, just didn't know which ones they have used. Tad, pm me, I am also BP down here.
    SC-Texas, yes I am close to Kirkpatrick, I dont like them. I just called you today so you could set me up with the Trust. I will be dealing with Dury's in San Anton. Thanks for yalls responses, looks like it is the M4-2000 for me.

Sidewinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Austin
    SRT makes a better sounding 223 can than AAC but, not popular because of less advertising. The new (as of this year) SWR Specwar 223 suppressor beats the AAC M4 2000 hands down according to mil-spec testing. Nothing else (except SRT) comes close. People need to stop promoting AAC so much and get on the wagon of better suppressors that are available. SWR Specwar test below.

AAC 223 can failed a test just watch the vid. YouTube - AAC M4 1000 Endurance Test
    Gemtech G5 passes the test watch the vid. YouTube - Gemtech G5 silencer military-style testing

SWR also makes a better 9mm can. See the results below.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That test really proves little to nothing beyond abusing a can will cause it to have issues. Beyond that, the vast majority of suppressors these days offer excellent suppression and a mixed bag of options. There's weight, sound suppression, durability, mounting options, customer service, and many other aspects of choosing a can.

Not saying that AAC M4-2000 is the best or end all, but everyone I know that has one is happy with it.

I have a Tac65 ... it was less than half the price of the AAC cans and it's a fun toy. Likewise I have an AAC TiRant 9mm that I think is the dog's danglies. It's so light and sounds awesome. Frankly, I think people will be happy with whatever they get.

At some point you just gotta buy something and have fun with it.

Sidewinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Austin
    That test really proves little to nothing beyond abusing a can will cause it to have issues. At some point you just gotta buy something and have fun with it.

It proves everything. Even AAC makes a bad suppressor. There's no evidence of abuse in those vids and yet the Gemtech proved to be better. In any case I wouldn't put myself in a position of promoting 1 product name regardless who makes it. I just voice my experience and leave it at that but, some don't. Yeah at some point you gots to buy something and have fun, just don't push only 1 product name in the process cause that's old already.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    On that Youtube video they are using an M4-1000, which is not rated for full auto fire. Never had any problems with my M4-2000.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It proves everything. Even AAC makes a bad suppressor. There's no evidence of abuse in those vids and yet the Gemtech proved to be better. In any case I wouldn't put myself in a position of promoting 1 product name regardless who makes it. I just voice my experience and leave it at that but, some don't. Yeah at some point you gots to buy something and have fun, just don't push only 1 product name in the process cause that's old already.

Considering I've never known anyone to melt the finish off of their suppressor by continuously firing it for 4 minutes straight ... I would consider that abuse.

I'm buying a toy ... I'm not going to fight the Russians.

This is like saying that not cleaning a Glock for 50,000 rounds and dropping it out of an airplane makes it the best choice. It's a test outside the normal bounds of operation.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Welcome to TGT, USMC!

Most modern suppressors will only be a few decibels difference at most with the rest of the difference being in price, weight, size, and customer service (as TX1911 said).

I would like to mention an option I'll be taking on my suppressor purchase: if you go with AAC's 762SD (or soon to be released 762SD N6) and a 51T muzzle mount, you'll have the option to use one suppressor for 5.56 AND 7.62.

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    +1 on a shi!!y can, I have a first gen aac 416 sd and its an oversized muzzle brake, yet I have 5 other aac cans that work great for what they were intended for. It still beats running a gun without one!

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    I have the Yankee Hill 5.56 and the 7.62 and they work just fine for me. I use the 7.62 on my 6.8 SPC but can also use it on the 5.56 should I have someone else with me shooting my other AR. YHMs are a few price points below most of the others. Your choice, have fun.

TM

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Gemtech G5-I own one and I like the quick bi-lock detatch and it's decently quite. (I would get the G5 over the Halo)
    AAC M4 2000-I don't own one but I do have a 762-SD. Well made cans with a fair price tag and readily available.
    YHM Phantom (spend a little more and get the stainless) I have one in process yet I've never shot one. Good price, good quality and great customer service.
    Surefire well made and a bit on the pricey side. I've never heard one in action.
    Knights Armament once again well made and pricey. I've also never had a chance to hear one.
    Then you have a bunch of others
    SWR
    Tactical Solutions
    AWC
    TBA
    Red Jacket
    NFA Investments
    Quicksilver
    SRT

USMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Laredo
    Thanks guys alot of good info in here. I think I have it down to the Gemtech G5 or the M4-2000, also was kind of looking at the SPR/M4. Another question, someone told me to buy the AAC 762-SDN-6 and I could use it on both a 7.62 and 5.56 rifles, is that true??? How has that worked for people that have done it?? Thanks again.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Some of AAC's suppressors share a common mounting muzzle device. It used to be the 18T (Teeth) flash hider or muzzle brake, but they have moved on to the 51T muzzle devices. Their current model M4-2000 for 5.56 and 762SD for 7.62 use the same mounting system; so as long as you use the same 51T muzzle devices respective to the rifle's caliber on both rifles, you can use the larger caliber 7.62 suppressor on the 5.56mm AND the 7.62mm (in addition to the intermediate calibers, such as 6.5, 6.8, .300BLK, etc).

A lot more bang for the money.

If you do plan on this route and will be shooting a high round count, I suggest using the AAC 51T BrakeOut (the muzzle brake), which will help to extend the suppressor's life by eroding away on the muzzle brake first. Far cheaper to replace a $100 muzzle brake than a $1000 suppressor.

Thanks guys alot of good info in here. I think I have it down to the Gemtech G5 or the M4-2000, also was kind of looking at the SPR/M4. Another question, someone told me to buy the AAC 762-SDN-6 and I could use it on both a 7.62 and 5.56 rifles, is that true??? How has that worked for people that have done it?? Thanks again.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I would definitely suggest looking into getting a 762SD or 762SDN-6 before a 5.56 can. I bought the 556 can first and now am waiting on the 762 can. I wish I would have bought a 762 can first, then I could be shooting both my rifles now. I believe AAC says the 762SDN-6 is 3 to 4 decibels louder than the M4-2000 on a 5.56.

Don't expect Hollywood quiet out of a high power rifle can. Won't happen. It makes my 10" AR 5.56 what I consider almost hearing safe, sounds like a .22 rifle to me. For real quiet get a 22 can.

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    The YHM Phantoms have a quick disconnect where the 7.62 will fit on the 5.56 but the 5.56 will not fit on the 7.62 so you can't get them mixed up and blow out your 5.56 on a .30 cal gun. The 7.62 QD is longer than the 5.56 QD. Works great.

TM

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    AAC 762-SDN-6 and I could use it on both a 7.62 and 5.56 rifles, is that true??
    I run my 762-SD on one of my 5.56 rifles and it works out fine altough performace does lack in the sound department. When I shoot the can on a 7.62 platform it is much quieter than when I run it on the 5.56 platform and the 762-SD is larger and heavier than the M4-2000. With this said if you want the best bang for your buck then go with the 762-SD that you can run on a wider range of platforms.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom