Texas SOT

Suppressor Testing w/ Sound Measuring Equipment.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It's our data acquisition system. Not sure where "DAQ" comes from...that's just how they do it. I work on sub-sea blowout preventors.

QEI was a major player in SCADA back in the 90s.
    They went off course and the brains of the outfit walked. Founded DAQ the next day. DAQ stands for Day After QEI.
    The rest is history. They have the market cornered.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    So, I guess the next step it to see what hardware Chuck has and to determine if it will work for what we're trying to do. Hopefully our resident sound guy can verify if we're at least in the ball park. I'll work on getting a test procedure written up tomorrow. I think testing 6 standard loads will keep it reasonable. The suppressors people have will determine mounts, brakes, flash hiders...etc. So If we can get an inventory of who wants to show up and can keep a floating day until we get that nailed down that will help me write a more detailed test procedure.

What do we think of Curtis' offer for private land in Fairfield or where ever with this possibility of a Game Warden visit? Or do we want to explore public ranges? Personally I like the private land but it's got to be a mass unanimous vote here.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    You know you have access to all of my gear, as if that needed to be said. So add 13 cans to the list. I also used to record live shows, though I have nowhere near the experience Allen has. Maybe it would help if we posted some videos of other people performing these tests and ask Allen to comment on the kinds of gear they are using, tips on what they do right, tips on what they do wrong, etc. Congrats Allen, you're now the chief sound consultant.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Well, I don't want to force a guy into something, especially if he doesn't want to do it. I'm grateful for all advice given so far. Chuck has a degree in sound engineering as well, so he's not completely stupid like me at this. I'm good at shooting and collecting data. Unfortunately I have to rely on other people for the more technical side of things.

I wouldn't mind testing that M4-2000 against the 762-SDN-6 on a 5.56, Scott. And you've got that SureFire can as well. I can probably get the 762-SD (or whatever) and a SpecWar with a phone call.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    What do we think of Curtis' offer for private land in Fairfield or where ever with this possibility of a Game Warden visit? Or do we want to explore public ranges? Personally I like the private land but it's got to be a mass unanimous vote here.
    I have no doubt my friend has a good rapport with the GW. He and his family shoot out there often so I feel certain he was simply saying *the GW will drop by and as soon as he determines everything is in order, he'll be on his way*. Just show up legal and with your paperwork is what I got from the comment.

He's a rather polished ole guy, kinda like Ben. He can talk to CEOs or the town drunk at a drive-in with equal ease. ;)

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Well, I don't want to force a guy into something, especially if he doesn't want to do it. I'm grateful for all advice given so far. Chuck has a degree in sound engineering as well, so he's not completely stupid like me at this. I'm good at shooting and collecting data. Unfortunately I have to rely on other people for the more technical side of things.

I wouldn't mind testing that M4-2000 against the 762-SDN-6 on a 5.56, Scott. And you've got that SureFire can as well. I can probably get the 762-SD (or whatever) and a SpecWar with a phone call.

Yeah I have the Surefire SOCOM 556RC, 556 mini, and 762RC. With an extra 556 and 762 brakes if you wanted to test on same gun. Also have a TBAC 30p1 that's threaded. 4 rimfire cans and an integrally suppressed 10/22. 3 pistol cans, but 1 is still in jail.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Yeah I have the Surefire SOCOM 556RC, 556 mini, and 762RC. With an extra 556 and 762 brakes if you wanted to test on same gun. Also have a TBAC 30p1 that's threaded. 4 rimfire cans and an integrally suppressed 10/22. 3 pistol cans, but 1 is still in jail.

Jeez...you don't even have that many guns!

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    If anyone is bored and have some time maybe contact some can makers and see if you can find out what standard they test to. I am actually working today.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    If anyone is bored and have some time maybe contact some can makers and see if you can find out what standard they test to. I am actually working today.

I fired off an Email to Sil. Co and AAC yesterday. I've had my bouts with AAC before trying to get an answer on SBR's and the SDN-6...they don't like to answer anything.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So Sugarland and I have been throwing around the idea of actually testing our suppressors with calibrated sound meters. What brought this up is we read all the time on suppressor sites "reduces noise by 30-34dB" or what have you and they don't say how they're testing it. IE - how far they are from the muzzle or how high they are. They'll say what gun and ammo. So we were thinking about coming up with a standard testing procedure and getting as many people as we could with rifle and handgun suppressors and actually scientifically (LOL) testing them to see what they're really getting.

So, if anyone would be interested in being involved with the test we need to line out a few things.

1. Where do we want to do it?
    2. When do we want to do it?
    3. How many people are coming?
    4. What are you bringing?

I can write the procedure so we're at least doing the same thing every time. IE - 3' off the groun, 2' from muzzle with the meter 90 degrees off to the right side or whatever. We can log what gun (barrel length), what ammo, what suppressor and atmospheric conditions (as they can change the sound barrier FPS).

So, if anyone is interested let's get it lined out and get it done.

Thanks,
    Aaron

First question you should ask is, do we have the correct equipment, and if not, can we afford it?

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I don't know what part of Texas y'all would prefer, but I might be willing to host the event at my place just outside of Navasota. I have 40 acres here.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Most test to their own standard. SilencerCo for example does not even user MILSTD equipment.

Top Bottom