• ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Why do you want a Bug Out Bag?

Where will you go in the middle of a record drought, uncertain fuel supplies, an increasingly urbanized state with no public lands, other than a few parks that millions of others will run to in panic?.

Every other BOBBER thinks they will survive for days, months, and years on a BOB.

Got family, parents, relatives? What will your BOB do for them? Or, will you strike out on your own and abandon them?

If it gets so bad that you'll have to bug out, how will you do it? By foot, horse, bicycle, or motor vehicle?

Ever caught a fish, killed a deer, foraged for grains and greens, and built a shelter?

Do you know how to apply a tourniquet?

Ever made fire without a match or lighter?

As for clean water, no straw required.

Buy some coffee filters, and pour the water through the paper filter into a clean container. Boil the filtered water for 30 minutes, allow to cool, and draw the sanitized water away from any remaining sediment.

BOB's are big business in the prepper world, but a waste of time and money for those with family, property, and a commitment to their community.

Better to lay on plenty of stores at home, and ride out any disruption with your neighbors, unless it is a disaster of epic proportions that requires mass evacuation. Even then, a BOB might give you a day or two of sustenance.

Plan for the worst, pray for the best.

Be well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    shortround, you're being short sighted to think they're not a good start to prepping. You don't need to survive off the land to make it three days. Three days is the average it takes to get help after a major disaster.

Not a bad idea to have a bag that you can grab and go that'll keep you alive for 72 hrs.

Flooding for example is something you can't shelter in place for. That's not only for flood prone areas.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    B.o.b.... its a reasonable concept for sure but if it got so bad that such a thing would come into play, i would personally utilize what weight i could personally carry for things that are harder to acquire; guns, ammo, blades, collapsible fishing pole with standard gear equipped. You'll find that your food caches will either end up being left behind because its not pratical to carry, or it all gets pillaged. With any level of outdoors experience, anyone can self sustain. If pressed, ill eat anything, dogs, cats, birds... whatever. Guns, ammo, blades, and a collapsible fishing rig is all you'll really need. Just my opinion.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Why do you want a Bug Out Bag?

Got family, parents, relatives? What will your BOB do for them? Or, will you strike out on your own and abandon them?

I have been pondering that thought myself. I have a "BOB" packed for my girlfriend and I, but didn't even think about my parents, sisters, aunt's, uncle's, and cousin's.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I'm looking to get a couple for my BOB. Who here has used them and which one should I get?

You can Google a number of places online who sell them, but when it comes to retail an easy place to find them is at Sport Chalet. Sometimes Big5 and other major stores will have them, but Sport Chalet carries them consistently for about $10 in my area. The brand they sell are good for 20 gallons, and IMO if you prefilter the water you can stretch them to 25-30 which is much more than you'll need for any emergency. I keep one in my truck BOB, and two in my hiking backpack along with tincture of iodine.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    good call this got me to thinkin,my mom and dad sold
    their house in kcmo to move closer to me.
    they are 72-78 so bugging out is out of the
    question so i guess i will have to re adjust
    the plans the house they got is on 1.5ac
    backed up to a open field he has at least
    a yr supply of meds and first aid stuff
    and tools etc. so if it does go sideways
    i will make my stand there with the family
    grandson etc. untill other options come due

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Don't know that much about Buggin' Out, but after the tornado came through in '94 and wiped out most of our neighborhood, working at the Dome helping the Katrina refugees for 4 days, standing in the roadside park outside of Columbus after driving 24 hours from East Houston running from Rita, and losing power for 10 days after IKE, I have gotten better and better at being prepared. I carry a Maxpedition Mongo with a few items, no illusions that it will get me out of Houston, but it'll be a lot better than starting out with nothing.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Dang people (Shortround)...the guy asked where to get a good deal. Didnt ask to be flamed for wanting a BOB. BOBs are great idea for the reasons listed above. Not everyone wants to go Rambo. Natural disasters DO keep people out of their houses for days on end.

So.....anybody know where he can get a good deal on a survival straw?

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Dang people (Shortround)...the guy asked where to get a good deal. Didnt aske to be flamed for wanting a BOB. BOBs are great idea for the reasons listed above. Not everyone wants to go Rambo. Natural disasters DO keep people out of their houses for days on end.

See my earlier reply.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    IMO the BOB is good as a LAST resort option. I live near Columbus, when Katrina hit and with all of the people moving thru the area, they devasted local supplies. It was WEEKS before the supply chain returned to normal, if I wasn't used to keeping several months of stuff on hand I'd been suffering like many others around here. Keep some supplies in house, and a BOB as a back up. Keep your options open.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    shortround, you're being short sighted to think they're not a good start to prepping. You don't need to survive off the land to make it three days. Three days is the average it takes to get help after a major disaster.

Not a bad idea to have a bag that you can grab and go that'll keep you alive for 72 hrs.

Flooding for example is something you can't shelter in place for. That's not only for flood prone areas.

Not short sighted, just looking forward to the next emergency that involves more than one who may be affected. I would call that far-sighted.

Be well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Dang people (Shortround)...the guy asked where to get a good deal. Didnt ask to be flamed for wanting a BOB. BOBs are great idea for the reasons listed above. Not everyone wants to go Rambo. Natural disasters DO keep people out of their houses for days on end.

At any Academy Sports and Outdoors store.

But that begs the question: Why would anyone want to bug out? The term "Bug Out" implies that some would rather run than stand and defend their ground.

Coastal evacuation plans are fraught with insurmountable complications.

Perhaps it would be better to refer to "Emergency Supply Kit."

Then, we would not have this silly discussion.

Be well.

Top Bottom