• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    The more I thought about your reply shortround the more it bothered me. Below I've included my own responses to what you wrote. It's not an attack, just my responses....

Why do you want a Bug Out Bag?

Because you don't know when or where disaster can strike. Even a tornado can leave you in B.F. Egypt with one hell of a difficult path to get home. I'd rather be prepared than not.

Where will you go in the middle of a record drought, uncertain fuel supplies, an increasingly urbanized state with no public lands, other than a few parks that millions of others will run to in panic?.

Texas has plenty of open land, but I'll agree living in suburban Houston ain't the same as Ft. Stockton.

Got family, parents, relatives? What will your BOB do for them? Or, will you strike out on your own and abandon them?

If I happen to be in B.F. Egypt, yes, it will help me get back to my family as mentioned above.

Ever caught a fish, killed a deer, foraged for grains and greens, and built a shelter?

Many of us with military training or lifelong hunting skills are well versed at those things. If someone is not, then it behooves him/her to learn.

Do you know how to apply a tourniquet?

Ditto my last reply.

Ever made fire without a match or lighter?

Ditto my earlier reply.

As for clean water, no straw required.

Buy some coffee filters, and pour the water through the paper filter into a clean container. Boil the filtered water for 30 minutes, allow to cool, and draw the sanitized water away from any remaining sediment.

I think that is short-sighted. Why the hell would I want to build a fire, boil the water, wait for it to cool down, and then finally I can drink it? If I'm in an emergency situation not only do I not want to take that time I also may not have the time, and my survival straw is worth its weight in gold since I can drink any time, anywhere.

BOB's are big business in the prepper world, but a waste of time and money for those with family, property, and a commitment to their community.

Better to lay on plenty of stores at home, and ride out any disruption with your neighbors, unless it is a disaster of epic proportions that requires mass evacuation. Even then, a BOB might give you a day or two of sustenance.

Again, short-sighted. I want to have as much equipment and as many options as possible to get me back to my family in a disaster or crisis. Thinking that you will always have the luxury of being at or near home is not taking all possible contingencies into account.

OP, get the straw.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I'm buying a steripen to take when I hit the AT (Appalachian Trail). Also gonna carry a straw for quick sips, and as back up.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    At any Academy Sports and Outdoors store.

But that begs the question: Why would anyone want to bug out? The term "Bug Out" implies that some would rather run than stand and defend their ground.
    No, it doesn't "beg the question" (a phrase which you are using incorrectly).

Then, we would not have this silly discussion.
    "We" are not having a discussion, rather you decided to interject your opinion as a response to a question nobody asked. And apparently your arrogance has caused someone to abandon his plans to start prepping. What is wrong with you?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I concur. If a tornado knocks my neighborhood down, I am not standing my ground. If my neighborhood is 6 feet underwater, I am not standing my ground. If my house burns down, I am not standing my ground.
    I a nuclear plant melts down and radiation blows into town, I am not standing my ground.

I guess I must be a wuss.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I concur. If a tornado knocks my neighborhood down, I am not standing my ground. If my neighborhood is 6 feet underwater, I am not standing my ground. If my house burns down, I am not standing my ground.
    I a nuclear plant melts down and radiation blows into town, I am not standing my ground.

Weinie!

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County

Welcome to Team Wussie!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    kikjunk, to answer your question I picked up some at Cabelas bargain cave a while back for $10 each. I have better, larger water filter but these actually fit into the little altoids cans along with some other key items to make a small "survival can." I can make a few of those cans and leave them in the glove compartments and my laptop bag without taking up much space or much $$. I'd run some water through the straws to clean 'em out before you use them; otherwise, the first time you will get some of the loose black carbon in the water.

I don't understand the debate on how to prepare. It's like asking which gun to buy, the answer will always be BOTH. Why not have something with you to make sure you can get home if you need to, and have something at home in case you need to leave.

I would also start with the most likely risks (e.g. Natural Disaster) and key needs (e.g. Water/Food/First Aid/Temperature regulation). If you still have funds then by all means start on your bunker after that

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom