• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    At first I couldn't understand some of Mate's comments. But the more I think about, the more I keep coming up with things like:
    1) A rabbit is rodent and a nuisance in most cases, so killing one even when not for food should be legal IMO...people use poisons and traps, why not a bludgeon like a hockey stick?
    2) A felony is a serious charge.
    3) I am assuming that if this was someone's pet rabbit that would have been mentioned.
    So that leads me to think that this case is overblown.

Then there is this:
    "after the “brutal mutilation” of the rabbit the suspect returned to the scene later in the evening, “this individual returned to the scene of the crime later that evening and also started to play with the rabbit with the hockey stick.”"

That's disturbing to me.
    DK Firearms

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    It was bad judgment, but a felony? Really? Send an 18yr old kid with to prison for killing a rabbit? That's doesn't even come close to fitting the crime in my mind. Again I get that it was bad judgment, but he killed it humanely. He didn't torture it; he just acted like an idiot with it afterwards (based on what I read).

I really don't think killing wild animals should be against the law. What about coyotes? prairie dogs? snakes? Any of y'all eat them after you shoot them?

How many of you shoot dear then pin their heads up on a plaque on your wall as a trophy? <sarcasm>Sick bastards, you're probably all serial killers</sarcasm>

I grew up around animals. Taking care of them, hunting them, eating them. I have a healthy respect for them but this trend of people putting their rights on par with humans needs to stop.

^^ This.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I watched a small game of buzkashi once in late 2001. It was actually pretty refreshing to see the locals doing something fun for once...even if it was a bit morbid... I'm pretty sure the Taliban banned it when they took control, but the village I was in at the time was actually pretty pro-western and I'm sure they had been dying to toss around some dead goat for a while. There were about a dozen men and boys riding anything they could (old plow horses that seemed to be more donkey than anything, and even a motorscooter!) to get out and play. It was a blast to watch these guys do something that they hadn't done in years, teaching their sons the sport as well. While it wasn't a good example of a buzkashi match, it was something I had never seen before and was pretty neat to see the locals doing something they wanted for a change.

I would bet that the village didn't live that day down. The older I get, the more I remember things like this that probably got many of those good people killed. It's a really sad state, but thats enough about that.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    I've hunted and killed a lot of rabbits but never bludgeoned one to death and played with the dead body. I saw some guys get booted out of A&M for something equally dumb back then in the late 60's. I knew of the individuals and they jerks.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    If it were my kid, I think he'd get a hockey stick to the ass - a few times. But my kids wouldn't hurt an animal, unless it was hunting for food, ridding us of a nuisance, or out of fear of the animal. I'm cool with all of these. Killing one for fun and then playing with it. Nope. In fact, I just brought this up and they all looked at me like I was crazy and couldn't fathom why I was asking this.

Now.... a good ass-beating at home. Possibly a misdemeanor animal cruelty. But not a felony. Hell no.
    It is disturbing though and I'd be very concerned that my kid might be twisted.

PS - We're talking a little bit of theory here and more right/wrong than I'm going to think the law can decide, but if he screws with somebody's pet for no good reason, he deserves a more harsh punishment. And if it were my pet (dogs), he would deserve death....

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So, after discussing this with my kids the other day, I wake up from sleeping for work yesterday to have my girlfriend tell me one of the neighborhood kids saw a young bird on the ground and went up to it and was throwing a basketball at it. My kids made him stop, my next door neighbor shit on him for it, and my kiddos grabbed a little shoebox and tried to give it a home because it couldn't fly anymore. Bird died, but my kiddos tried to help out. Pretty sure the boy would think twice before doing it again.

My kids are awesome!

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There are several factors I see wrong. Hitting a healthy rabbit with a hockey stick. They are agile and fast. you would have to be lucky and have it run right by you and happen to hit it. If it was sick or weak or something I could imagine you could kill it a lot easier. As for playing with it like a puck... you can not tell me that you have not seen something dead or sick and wanted to move it so you get a stick and fling it. He could of done the same thing and just used a hockey stick. So kill an animal to put it out of its misery and then use a stick to fling it away. Hockey stick probably used to smash its skull to break its neck and then the stick speaks for its self as to disposal. Some one could have just walked by to see him kill it and then dispose of the carcass. Whole thing worth a felony charge? Hell no. Ive seen worse stuff on comedy central or by the kids in my neighborhood. I killed a snake with a rock then flung its body into a road. Seriously?
    Rant over

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Whats worse? Playing hockey with a dead rabbit, or kicking a dead horse?
    6306318f-54fb-dc6a.jpg

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Everyone who wasn't young and dumb at one time step over there please. A felony is a little over the line as I see it. What about all the pain caused to blades of grass when you mow your lawn with a dull blade?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Yea, I never played with dead animals as a kid. I killed a lot of prairie dogs and jackrabbits for target practice but I never played with 'em.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    Where shall we step. If playing with dead animals for FUN as a kid is your def of young and dumb, it sure wasnt me.

Agreed. And he is 19 years old, not 10. I did a fair amount of stupid stuff at 19 but beating an animal to death for pleasure and playing with the carcass was not even close. Obviously not the guy I want my daughters to date.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It was a poor decision, that is all. Everyone has made a poor decision. I am sure that he learned the consequences even before the court appearance. What I do not understand is why is a court is even reviewing this case? Does he have a history of bad decisions?
    Why did the officer of the court just advise the defendant that what he did was a something that should not be repeated. The court is not going to change the condition of the rabbit. It seems that a lot of taxpayer money could have been better spent on almost any other "crime"...

Top Bottom