• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    Another vote for "NO" on the check-taking.

As for the ATM, you can't always get that much cash from an ATM. My bank limits me to $300 per day from an ATM (they will increase it, but they really don't want to...they prefer to limit the amount for security and protection reasons.) Also, many ATMs have withdrawal amount limits. Some banks won't let you cash a check drawn on their bank unless you yourself have an account there.

However, if someone wants to buy a gun from a private individual, then having the cash in hand should be understood for a FTF transaction. Unfortunately, the days of trusting people are long gone. If someone can't have the cash at time of sale, then I would consider it a "no sale" and move along.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've taken a check before, for a water pump, for a fish tank. From a forum stranger. It was a young guy and it was fine. I didn't really want to, but he was the only guy who wanted it. And it had been for sale a long time. At that point if I ate it, I didn't care.

Working in retail appx 40% of the check received bounced. But when I worked at a small town mom-pop bakery. We never had one bad check.

Personally I'd take a check, from someone I trusted. I just don't trust anyone...

Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    I'd take a check from someone, if I met them at their house, with ID, Check, and physical address all matching. Then I would write his DL and DOB on the check. Before we did the deal I would inform the buyer that I have all of the necessary info to have them arrested if the check is bad.

I own a pizza business and we used to take checks, the check MUST have the DOB and DL number with the address the same as all of the info or we would not take it. (We only take checks now for a few of our older customers) If you have all of that info and it is all verified you can easily have them arrested.

But it is such a pain, might as well take cash only.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Exactly my point. Next time I will try to be as concise as possible, in case the children are watching.

91wm6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Another vote for "NO" on the check-taking.

As for the ATM, you can't always get that much cash from an ATM. My bank limits me to $300 per day from an ATM (they will increase it, but they really don't want to...they prefer to limit the amount for security and protection reasons.) Also, many ATMs have withdrawal amount limits. Some banks won't let you cash a check drawn on their bank unless you yourself have an account there.

However, if someone wants to buy a gun from a private individual, then having the cash in hand should be understood for a FTF transaction. Unfortunately, the days of trusting people are long gone. If someone can't have the cash at time of sale, then I would consider it a "no sale" and move along.

I have checking accounts at BOA and Chase. I can withdraw 800 from either account without a problem so I doubt that was the issue. Honestly I don't see how coming up with 400 cash is a big deal. We emailed back and forth for a couple days so the guy had plenty of time to go to the bank. I honestly can't think of any plausible reason he backed out other than he was trying to pass off a bad check and get something for nothing. If I get the ok from a moderator I'll post the guy's name...

GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    I have checking accounts at BOA and Chase. I can withdraw 800 from either account without a problem so I doubt that was the issue. Honestly I don't see how coming up with 400 cash is a big deal. We emailed back and forth for a couple days so the guy had plenty of time to go to the bank. I honestly can't think of any plausible reason he backed out other than he was trying to pass off a bad check and get something for nothing. If I get the ok from a moderator I'll post the guy's name...

I totally agree....I wasn't posting anything is support of the guy; just trying to explain why a legitimate buyer might need an extra day to have cash in hand. If I am going to buy a gun FTF, then I agree to meet when I do have the cash ready, not before. I think he was indeed trying to scam you, or you would have heard back from him.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    In God we trust, all else must pay cash. Tell him you will meet him in front of his bank so he can cash the check and bring you the cash. Then give him his goods.

My credit union limits the amount I can get from the ATM but I can still get $400 in two days. Sounds a little too fishy for me.

Top Bottom