• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Well, i'm looking to pick up a small sub compact for the upcoming year. Does anyone have any experience with the 709? From the reviews i've read it seems ok, a little bit better reviews than the PF9 on recoil and grip.

Also, I see everyone on forums/videos picking them up for $350 or so...but I can only find them for $429+
    ARJ Defense ad

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I bought one on an Auction site yesterday morning, Stainless Winning Bid: $385.00 (Buy it Now price)shipping free, 2.1% fee for Visa = Amount: $393.09, and seller even insured it,

but the Blued ones were cheaper and some with no credit card fee plus free shipping 365 or so.

You have to shop a while on the various auction sites, and call gun stores and shop around, Maybe they'll cut you a deal, but they are out there. Mine shipped yesterday evening.

(I'm in a city with NO gun store now)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A good source for info is TaurusTalk.com, register over there and you can find numerous threads on it.

I've had one and had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I got it after trading my Kel-Tec P3AT for a Taurus PT111. I liked that gun so much I went and found a private sale for a NIB PT709 for $300. It's great, and unlike the .380 I can actually find ammo for it (and cheap!). I've put a couple of hundred rounds through it and it's been great so far!

But a few others have had issues with it, I attribute some of that due to not properly cleaning the weapon when new. It comes covered in a cosmoline-like substance similar to some SKS rifles I've seen. Secondly, being a smaller handgun it requires a firmer grip on it to cycle properly when shooting. I have intentionally limp-wristed it while shooting and did get a FTE, but hold it right and I haven't had an issue. It is small enough to use as a pocket gun.

One last, Taurus provides a lifetime guarantee on all their firearms, no matter which owner you are. The PT111 I traded for had a bent lip on one of the mags. I called Taurus and they had my send it to them. About a little over a week later I got a new one in the mail. I was impressed, I believe customer service is an important aspect for firearm companies (which is why I am such a Springfield fan), and Taurus does stand behind their products!

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I was at the Academy on 183 in NW Austin looking for the LCP...none at that store but the gun dude was able to pull up inventory for all stores within a minute. He also could tell me 'if' they had more coming...not always an exact science but useful in case they ARE NOT getting more in. Mayhaps your Academy can do the same.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Just called up academy, every story (except the one closest to me) has them in stock. At $350...damn this is hard to pass up. Haha.

chuckybrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    If I can throw my .02 cents in here....throw down the extra $30, and get the stainless slide. You're probably going to use this for CHL purposes, and that usually means under shirts/inside shorts waist bands, which = sweat.

The blued version has no cera-kote or parkerized type finish, and would be quick to rust, in my neophyte opinion.

Now, pay close attention: When you get this little beauty home, take it completely apart (as far as you are capable of doing) and give it a scrubbin. Take the firing pin assembly apart as well (videos on youtube). I'd recommend using Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Get it as clean as you can.

Why? The thing comes packed in a white grease. Many people have experienced failure to fire, and failure to extract issues with these guns. It seems if you clean it well prior to first using it, the issue is less likely to come up.

Some examples: Who has a 709 with no problems

Then, get it to the range and put a couple of hundred rounds through it, and clean it again. Then, you should be good to go. Stay away from the heavier bullet weight self defense rounds, those rounds tend to be longer, and there are feeding issues with them. The Speer 119 grain Gold Dot works well in mine.

It's a great little gun, and might just replaces my .40 XDm as my every day carry weapon. But, I did enough research and read enough about it that I went into it prepared.

Good luck! You'll love it!

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    i know someone who has one and he said its very picky with ammo,wasn't impressed with it. i've owned three taurus guns before....i'd get a glock and shell out a little more dough. i just couldn't trust my life to a taurus imho

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    ive had my fair share of taurus milleniums i am real intrested in buying one of the 709's soon. alot of ppl say they dont trust the taurus autoloaders. but of all the taurus' ive owned i never had one problem with any of them. i acctually bought 2 in one day cause i got such a good deal on them. one of them has probably around 2k rounds through it.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    This is my first handgun, I'm not sure how much I trust myself with a glock and no external safety. I figure i'd pick up the 709, learn how to carry and shoot a lil better...then pick up a glock. I'd really like to just get the G26 from the start. I'm going back and forth with it

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    This is my first handgun, I'm not sure how much I trust myself with a glock and no external safety. I figure i'd pick up the 709, learn how to carry and shoot a lil better...then pick up a glock. I'd really like to just get the G26 from the start. I'm going back and forth with it

Have you done a lot of shooing?

If it were me, i'd at least get a larger gun to start out with. That gun is going to be small, hard to shoot, and kick like a mule. Very hard to learn to shoot. I'd certainly consider getting either a full sized gun or at least one you can get your whole grip on.

I'm not going to try and convince you to get a Glock (or any other particular kind of gun), but a safety doesn't make a shooter any safer.

chuckybrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    "That gun is going to be small, hard to shoot", - What makes a small gun "hard to shoot"? Perhaps the responder was trying to say it may not be as accurate because the barrel is shorter.

"and kick like a mule". - Actually, not so, this little gun handles very nicely!! You'd be surprised. The weight of the slide helps with the recoil.

"Very hard to learn to shoot." - My wife found it to be quite the opposite: it actually was easy to shoot, and has adjustable sights.

However, I would agree that a longer barreled first gun would perhaps be a better starter model. Beretta 92? Colt Government .45?

My .02 cents. Not being argumentative, just giving my feedback!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Whereas I would agree that a "normal" sized gun would be easier to learn on, the Slim is an excellent platform especially considering its small size. It's not got that back of a kick to it (about equal to my PT111) and it is easy to shoot. I wouldn't pick it as my first gun, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't and I would certainly not try to talk them out of it!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm not sure how much I trust myself with a glock and no external safety.
    I don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe you shouldn't trust yourself with any firearm, then. The only saftey that really matters is the one between your ears. I do understand where you're coming from with the glock trigger because it does require a little extra care in handling, but you shouldnt let yourself rely on a mechanical safety. No, I'm not a "1911 guy", lol...

After fondling the 709 in the store several times and reading about them, I've decided I want one. I really like how slim it is. The only other options I can see if you want something that slim is a Walther PPS, a Khar, or a Keltec PF9. The walther and the Khar are alittle too expensive for me and
    the 709 seems better built to me than the PF9. Still I kinda like the PF9. Hell I might have to buy both to try them out and sell which ever one I like less.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    The price difference between the Kahr CW-9 and the Taurus Slim stainless is less than $50. I paid $418 for my CW-9 in August. Aidonik - The Kahr operates like a Glock, so you probably wouldn't like it, but the trigger is very smooth.
    Summer2009637.gif

Top Bottom