• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Have you done a lot of shooing?

If it were me, i'd at least get a larger gun to start out with. That gun is going to be small, hard to shoot, and kick like a mule. Very hard to learn to shoot. I'd certainly consider getting either a full sized gun or at least one you can get your whole grip on.

I'm not going to try and convince you to get a Glock (or any other particular kind of gun), but a safety doesn't make a shooter any safer.

I've only shot rifles and probably less than 50rds through a Bersa .380. So yeah. I figure just take a few hundred rounds out to the range and go at it.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe you shouldn't trust yourself with any firearm, then. The only saftey that really matters is the one between your ears. I do understand where you're coming from with the glock trigger because it does require a little extra care in handling, but you shouldnt let yourself rely on a mechanical safety. No, I'm not a "1911 guy", lol...
    Everyone needs a starting point at some time or another, and I don't see how an additional safety at all excludes someone from holding a firearm. I've read about a shitload of vets STILL managing to have a round go off when trying to holster a Glock or non-ext safety gun. Obviously experience is going to play into it, but nobody is perfect. I'm saying I need PRACTICE, which is more than a lot can admit. (Hope doesn't come off as defensive, i'm not. I'm very much a n00b at this)

I realize the 709 is not the best handgun to learn on, but IMO it's going to be the easiest to conceal compared to a 1911 in the summer. Full time @ college doesn't allow much cash to flow...thus the main gun I have must also be my CCW.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    man i completely trust my life to my glocks,just don't touch the trigger and keep your fingers out of the guard. i've never owned or shot a kahr but damn there were some sweet deals on them at the last few gun shows. i kept seeing them for 320-400

chuckybrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Ok, I know this is going to start a pi**ing contest.....but, I cannot resist!

Have you looked at the Springfield XD/XDm pistols? There are some nice, and even "sub-compact" pistols that have safety's that might meet your need. And, they shoot damn fine out of the box as well....

I'm off to put the raincoat on, so the Glock Brotherhood won't soak me in this contest.....LOL...no offense GlockBrotherhood!

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    That's pretty good. Let me know how it shoots. I hear avoid Remington ammo in this particular gun

Took delivery of it today, I'm impressed with it a lot, more than I thought I'd be, the only thing I'd like more is a standard dovetail for the rear sights so I could replace with tactical sights so I could rack the slide with my belt, buckle or shoe sole. Gun range is closed here until after hunting season, so I won't get to shoot it for a few weeks, but so far I'm really impressed, except for the rear sights, so when Bersa comes out with their BP9 CC which has standard Sig/Glock type sights, I might end up carrying the Bersa more, even though I prefer the safeties on the 709, and keep the PT709 as a house gun where I can just grab another gun instead of asking the bad guy to please rack the slide for me after I

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ... kahr but damn there were some sweet deals on them at the last few gun shows. i kept seeing them for 320-400
    whaaaa? I'm going to have to keep my eyes open. They certainly arent that cheap in the local stores.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/members/adionik.html Adionik, after re-reading my post, I did sound like a dick, lol... Yep, we ALL need practice and I would never suggest to someone to handle a firearm they aren't comfortable with.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    S'all good man.

I lurked the Taurus forums a while. Seems like a hit or really, really, REALLY bad miss. Some people having to send it back even days after getting it. Ehh...not too crazy about that. I might as well get the PT111/G26 and avoid the BS. :banghead:

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    yeah Love's guns from temple always has the polymer kahrs for about 3-400 both used and new. he's had a bunch the last few shows

martywj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burleson
    We have one of the 709's that had some issues. Many FTE's with various ammo and different shooters. Had to send it on 5 week vacation to Miami. Replaced extractor, been flawless ever since. But dealing Taurus Customer service is a deal breaker, made us loose confindence in Taurus products. The 709 is my wife's gun replaced with Kahr P9, and I am looking to replace my PT140 just not sure with what yet. Leaning strongly toward the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact or XD9 or 40 SubCompact. The XD40 SC is appealing because I can get conversion barrels in .357 Sig and 9mm. Like having 3 guns in one.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I'd have to say +1 for Glocks, +1 for the XD's, I've never shot a KAhr but heard only good things. My recommendation is go to a range that has rentals, shoot some different guns (ask how to operate if you are unfamiliar) and see what is best for YOU. What works for me may not work for you and vise versa.

If there is no range near you, see if there is someone near you, or go to the Shoot on the 30th and ask if anyone will let you try their guns (I'm sure all of them will, take ammo) and go from there.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/12255-1-30-2010-meet-greet.html

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Well I finally got a good amount of money I had been waiting on, so I think i'm going to go with the Glock 26. The taurus problems scared me off. Maybe in a few months if they get a 3rd gen going i'll pick one up. Deffinetely not bad for the price...but I don't think I could trust my life to it with all the failure rates I see.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    A Glock 26 isn't nearly as sweet to carry due to its thickness. I've a G23 that has retired to the safe ever since I found the Walther PPS. I can shoot it all day long @ the range (ie, it doesn't bite), and every one who tries it is surprised at how easy it is to shoot accurately. Unfortunately, you won't find it at the price point of a Taurus...

Top Bottom