• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I Keep hearing others gripe about Taurus; but I have owned several, have never had any problem with them.

Please tell of your Taurus experiences, both bad & good.

Thanks,
    leVieux
    DK Firearms

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I dis them as much as anybody, but I've got a friend at work with a PT111 that I've shot quite a bit. It's been solid besides me having to grimace a bit.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Pieces of garbage. That Millennium G2 was the first gun I ever got rid off within months.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My Millenium Pro PT145 runs better than my Rolex. I had a pair of their pump .22’s which were great. The revolvers seem identical to some Smith’s.

I often carry the .45, leaving much more expensive stuff in my safe.

ieVieux

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I've had two and will never buy them again. The Taurus PT1911 stainless was my second Taurus. After 300 rounds the extractor broke. Got it fixed from Taurus and about 500 rounds later it broke again. I bought an aftermarket one from Wilson Combat but I have had major issues getting the broken one out.

My PT740 had the same issues but also jammed on almost every type of ammo I fed it except Winchester. After two guns like that over the last ten years, never again. 400-800 dollars a gun isn't worth another venture with them.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I've had two and will never buy them again. The Taurus PT1911 stainless was my second Taurus. After 300 rounds the extractor broke. Got it fixed from Taurus and about 500 rounds later it broke again. I bought an aftermarket one from Wilson Combat but I have had major issues getting the broken one out.

My PT740 had the same issues but also jammed on almost every type of ammo I fed it except Winchester. After two guns like that over the last ten years, never again. 400-800 dollars a gun isn't worth another venture with them.

Thanks for the specific reply.
    leVieux

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    They have apparently fixed their quality control problems since then but I've been burned twice so that's it for me. Someone else here that bought one recently within the last year or so might have more up to date information. I bought my PT1911 in 2011 and the 740 was around 2013ish.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    PT 709, bought new
    Started having FTF, light primer strikes
    I fired 200 rounds through it to check the reliability as a back up gun

Sent back to factory, got it back in 15 days
    Then after getting it back, and firing about 100 rounds, the slide started locking back with rounds left in the chamber...another pretty bad problem for a CC gun

Sent back, got it back in 3 weeks with a note blaming the magazine supplier...

I then shot about 50 trouble free rounds through it and promptly sold it

I have only had 2 Taurus guns that were worth a damn and that was a mid 80s Model 66 revolver and a PT 99, 9mm Beretta clone
    Even if you do get a good one, you will loose money if you sell it.
    They don’t hold value whatsoever

I won’t own another one, in fact I have a saying:

“Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus”

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Going to drop this of tomorrow.
    going in for a repair.... cylinder stop doesn't reset...it moves inside and the spring doesn't engage to bring it back up.
    I didn't expect quality out of the taurus and I would not trust it to save my life but I'm happy I didn't pull the trigger when the cylinder was misaligned because of this problem.
    Also I couldn't take out the remaining ammo because the cylinder wouldn't come out so I had to take the side plate out to push the stop back in its place.
    Taurus said that that breaks the warranty but they understand that I did it to remove live ammo from the gun and acepted to repair it.
    506d6089c0e2c244beb879caa6c71636.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have a Taurus snubby in .357mag, ported barrel and hogue grips from factory. DAO due to no hammer spur for concealed carry purposes. I have had it for over 2 decades. Never had an issue other the trigger pull. I did put a Wolff spring kit in for the same frame sized S&W which helped. A bit much for magnum loads but works well with .38spc +P.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I have purchased the following Taurus models:
    1 PT145
    2 85
    1 85 light
    2 605
    They are scattered with wife daughters and me
    All of us are proficient with those and not one failure to date.
    Just my experience, maybe luck but this covers 22+ varied years.
    I have S&W wheels, Glocks, Colt 1911 and Ruger semis so I am not a novice, with no complaints for any!!! Hope I can say that years from now!!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    PT-22 - this is the clone of the .22LR Beretta 21A Bobcat tip-up barrel. Ran fine for about 500 rds. Started keyholing the bullet. Then started to fail to fire. Firing pin broke. Sent back to Taurus. Came back still keyholng and fail to fire. Fail to fire rate got up to 60-65% of trigger snaps. Sold gun to a wanna be gunsmith for a song.

Can’t remember the model number but it was a Taurus D/A stainless revolver. A clone of S&W’s Model 66.
    Bought it brand new.
    Within 200rds it was knocked out of time.
    Bad lead shaving. Got so bad I retired it.
    Also sold to that wanna be gunsmith.

Taurus pump .22 rifle. Clone of the Winchester 62.
    Absolute junk. Hardly cycled. Even after polishing internals is was awful.
    Traded it away for beer.

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Going to drop this of tomorrow.
    going in for a repair.... cylinder stop doesn't reset...it moves inside and the spring doesn't engage to bring it back up.
    I didn't expect quality out of the taurus and I would not trust it to save my life but I'm happy I didn't pull the trigger when the cylinder was misaligned because of this problem.
    Also I couldn't take out the remaining ammo because the cylinder wouldn't come out so I had to take the side plate out to push the stop back in its place.
    Taurus said that that breaks the warranty but they understand that I did it to remove live ammo from the gun and acepted to repair it. View attachment 146282

Didn’t you just recently purchase that revolver?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Had a Taurus model 44M revolver back in the early 90’s. It got way out of time, and I sold it to a friend that was convinced he could fix it for $200. He sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it several times.

Had a PT-92 in the late 90’s that was very reliable and extremely accurate for the first year. Then it would FTF 3 or 4 times per magazine. Replaced the magazine springs, and it fixed the problem for about a year. Replaced those springs with Beretta magazine springs then traded it in for a Sig 226.

Bought a 24/7 a few years ago, not expecting much from it. First trip to the range, it double fired when my buddy was shooting it. I thought he was mistaken until it did it to me too. Took it straight back where I bought it. That gun store was owned by a friend of mine who refunded my money and sent it back to Taurus. He said that was the final straw and removed all Taurus handguns from his inventory.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have owned 2 Taurus's. Well 3 if you consider a Rossi 357. My first was the PT92 Beretta 92 clone. I could not get it to cycle through a mag once in about 20 attempts. Sold it. Also a PT111 first gen. It was actually a good shooter. A friend talked me out of it and still carrys it occasionally. I still have the Rossi 972. I don't shoot it often, but so far so good.

Last edited:

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Didn’t you just recently purchase that revolver?
    Yes. Last Black Friday....I've put maybe 350 rounds thru it.
    Looks like a bad part machining in my opinion, I dryfired a bit after I pushed the cylinder stop back in its place and it looks like the part it's "skinnier" than the place where it sits so it shifts up towards the side plate and away from the tension rod that it's supposed to lift it up. I don't think I have all the name parts correct but I think you have an idea of what's the problem.
    I sold a Beretta 1200 shotgun and extra$$$ to get this.
    Bad deal in my opinion.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    My Millenium Pro PT145 runs better than my Rolex. I had a pair of their pump .22’s which were great. The revolvers seem identical to some Smith’s.
    I often carry the .45, leaving much more expensive stuff in my safe.
    ieVieux
    A family member had one of those.

The follower had the tendency to nose-dive inside of the magazine during mag-dumps

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Most of the older guns not having issues is a indication of the era. Most of our newer guns are having these issues. Sad to see but good to know for other folks considering Taurus.

Top Bottom