• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I read somewhere that these guys pulled this off in part by having some home made series of detectors that helped them avoid cops. That, plus the fact they were going for a time record....I doubt they were being stingy when buying tires, brakes, etc...

according to the jalopnik article i read (didnt read OPs), they had all sorts of tech in the car. 2 GPSs with live traffic, 2 or 3 cell phones with live traffic, 2 radar detectors and a few laser jammers and other things. they do have 3rd party GPS proof of their time as well.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I read somewhere that these guys pulled this off in part by having some home made series of detectors that helped them avoid cops. That, plus the fact they were going for a time record....I doubt they were being stingy when buying tires, brakes, etc...

Exactly.

It's not like this guy decided on his way to work Friday morning in a Prius to do it.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    A cop doesn't need a radar detector to pull you over for speeding when you're driving down the road at 100+ miles an hour.

What still amazes me is that they didn't get pulled over just buy some cop that happened to see them while he was in proximity without his radar on.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    according to the jalopnik article i read (didnt read OPs), they had all sorts of tech in the car. 2 GPSs with live traffic, 2 or 3 cell phones with live traffic, 2 radar detectors and a few laser jammers and other things. they do have 3rd party GPS proof of their time as well.

The speeds they claim to be going, the laser/radar detectors would be meaningless.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You need to experience a V1

Have one. Also a 9500.

A good traffic enforcement unit can defeat any laser/radar with ease.

As others said, when you are going 125, it does not matter if the cop you passed has radar/laser or not. He can pull you over.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Didn't he retire?

I heard that, but that assumes that he was a single person. Some speculate that while one guy Patrik Furstenhoff was probably the main guy, others in his circle of friends could have taken on the persona at times for some of the videos. I am sure others have skill sets close to his, if not better.

Hence the reason they chose the specific date and time frame to make the run, these good units are probably not concentrated in the wee hours of Sunday morning on long stretches of open highway. Better to use them in more critical times when their skills are better served. Planning the times and dates to do a stunt like this has to be as important as equipment.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    IHence the reason they chose the specific date and time frame to make the run, these good units are probably not concentrated in the wee hours of Sunday morning on long stretches of open highway. Better to use them in more critical times when their skills are better served. Planning the times and dates to do a stunt like this has to be as important as equipment.

At the speeds they claim they were going, Barney Fife could have pulled them over without radar/laser.

The time they chose to go, enforcement is very high, not necessarily for speeders, but for drunk drivers. Especially in NYC,NJ, PA area. Lots of cops on the road then.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I drove 1583 miles from Carson California (almost coastline) to Houston texas in 21 hours and 8 minutes a few years ago non stop. Only stopping for gas. I was flying the whole time and speeding more than I should have. I don't see how its possible

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Scanners, jammers, and homemade devices. It can be done.

I once lead a convoy across Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana at a 100+

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Just got home and turned on the TV. And this guy and his wife (Sunday school teachers) were on the Today show. They got pulled over this morning on the way to the show for turning right on red, and going the wrong way on a one way street.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm surprised the record was beaten without a spotter plane. The 2007 record used one and from what I understand it was critical.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Have one. Also a 9500.

As others said, when you are going 125, it does not matter if the cop you passed has radar/laser or not. He can pull you over.

Lol, good luck to him.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    The only one who needs luck is the speeder, hoping the LEOs radio does not work and he does not have a cell phone.

LOL. Keep thinking that. Very wishful thinking. I have yet to meet anyone who can read the plates of a car passing at that speed. Besides the fact, do you really think someone would pull over after seeing a cop? Nope. And 99.9% of the cops I have talked to wouldn't even bother chasing. Sure they would radio in, but unless there is an unusually high amount of cops in the area, the speeder is getting away. Ex-street racer here.

Disclaimer: I am in no way condoning reckless driving at high speeds like this. It is extremely dangerous to yourself and innocent bystanders. I am merely speaking from past experiences.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom