• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I do most of my pistol shooting at a private range a few miles from my house, Bayou Rifles. We have several pistol distances, plus steel silhouette for airguns and .22's. I only go there for pistol shooting, I don't own anything in .22.

When I want to break out one of my AR's, my Mini-14 or my Savage 30-06 I either got to Hot Wells, which is on the south side of SH-290 between Cypress Rosehill and Barker Cypress, or I'll go to American Shooting Center, which is located in George Bush Park off Westheimer Parkway west of Hwy. 6.

Hot Wells is more of a mom-n-pop type of range. It's under $6 per gun to shoot there, they have 2 pistol distances and 25-, 50- and 100-yard rifle ranges, plus skeet shooting. Since it's more of a relaxed environment there (not much in the way of range masters) you get some idiots sometimes. I had a guy muzzle sweep me with a loaded hunting rifle one day, I almost drew down on him with an AR, man I was pissed. But mostly it's a decent place to go. There is a tactical range where some LEO groups do training, and the owners do CHL training there as well.

American Shooting Center is a full-service place, all different ranges (I think the longest rifle range is 500 yards?). In a stark contrast to Hot Wells, this place is overrun with range masters, which is good for safety's sake, but these folks can sometimes be over-bearing on shooters. But I typically do what the rules say so I rarely have an issue, and it keeps jokers from doing stupid shit. I think they charge about $7-$8 per person.

Sometimes on lunch breaks from the office I'll go to Top Gun Range, which is an excellent indoor facility for pistol shooting located in the Galleria area. They rent pistols as well, and this is where I did my CHL class - they have full-day classes, or break it into two consecutive week evenings, five hours each, which is a nice option for some people. There are four bays there, three of them are for general shooting with four or five slots per bay, and the fourth is a tactical area with moving targets and such. I've never used that area, but one day there was a group of guys from the Israeli consolate there doing some shooting/training. It's a bit pricey, at $15 per gun per hour, but a nice option when I need a break from the office life.

That's where I do the bulk of my plinking in Houston. :D
    Target Sports

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    most of the time I shoot at the range at ft hood.being retired I can use the range and its free and I am cheap:).
    they have a pistol side 10 and 25 meters and the rifle 25,50,75 and 100 meters.they also have a rod & gun club and a skeet range.
    there is a new range about a 30 minute drive for me that is nice.the astro range off 183.if you show a military i.d. its $10.00 for the day & the membership is free.
    pete

Astro Shooting Range - 300 US Highway 183. Florence, Texas 76527 Office: 512-489-2061 Cell: 512-783-1032. Rifle, pistol ranges. Take 183 North past CR 138 (Florence) and 0.25 mile past CR 243 (Burnet) on the left.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club: Operated & partly subsidized by DOD for troop welfare, but civilians are welcome. One-time shooting is $8.00 for a full day, and annual memberships are $80, and an extra $5 for the spouse.

The firing line is about a mile long, divided into eight ranges: some are rifle only, shotgun only, and pistol only, but "anything goes" at one or two of the ranges. Some of the ranges have overhead sun protection, and others are scheduled for this amenity when funding permits. The rifle ranges are set up for 50 to 200 yards, and one is set up for 1000 yards & beyond. Automatic weapons are a no-no everywhere. :(

Individual range operation is by 'gentlemen's agreement'; anyone can call a cease fire for posting/recovering targets, and the cease fire is in effect until everyone is back and the call, "HOT!" is given & acknowledged by all shooters.

One or two Rangemasters patrol, mostly looking for litterers and reckless shooters.

The clubhouse has a hunting lodge motif and serves soft drinks & adult beverages (for those who have finished shooting for the day); breakfast & lunch are available, Friday through Sunday.

A rather small 'pro shop' sells ammo, targets, hearing protection, a limited amount of reloading consumables, and they rent a few pistols & long guns - no firearm sales.

The facility is seven miles (or 12 minutes) from my home, and I can see it from my patio (with a telescope). It's among the three best ranges I've ever shot at.

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Lone Star Gun Range-Austin Area

Lone Star Gun Range
    Approx 18 miles south ABIA just off 183 before Lockhart.
    www.ctxta.com 512-801-2624
    Hours: 9 am-7 pm during DST(summer) 7 days
    9 am-dusk (winter) 7 days
    ****However call Monday-Friday to insure we are not running errands***
    We currently have a 100 yard rifle range and 2-25 yard handgun ranges with future plans of archery and a couple trap bays. We DO allow FMJ, rapid fire and drawing from holster as long as you can do so safely and also without muzzle flashing ANYONE. Full auto for LE only at this time and restricted to times. Under 18 are allowed with full supervision at all times.
    Pricing: 1 time only registration fee of $5
    Day pass is $12 for adults and $6 under 18.
    Year pass(12 months) is $65 for adults and $25 under 18. We have a small selection of ammo, targets, safety glasses, hearing protection etc. We teach NRA courses, CHL, Security Officer Level 3 as well as a few other courses on site. Take a look at our website and give us a try if you live within 30 miles of downtown Austin/San Marcos/Bastrop/Sequin/New Braunfels/Lockhart/Luling/Gonzales. We might be closer than you think and with a 12 per day rate come out shoot eat BBQ and then shoot some more. Matt

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Lone Star Gun Range
    Approx 18 miles south ABIA just off 183 before Lockhart.
    www.ctxta.com 512-801-2624
    Hours: 9 am-7 pm during DST(summer) 7 days
    9 am-dusk (winter) 7 days
    ****However call Monday-Friday to insure we are not running errands***
    We currently have a 100 yard rifle range and 2-25 yard handgun ranges with future plans of archery and a couple trap bays. We DO allow FMJ, rapid fire and drawing from holster as long as you can do so safely and also without muzzle flashing ANYONE. Full auto for LE only at this time and restricted to times. Under 18 are allowed with full supervision at all times.
    Pricing: 1 time only registration fee of $5
    Day pass is $12 for adults and $6 under 18.
    Year pass(12 months) is $65 for adults and $25 under 18. We have a small selection of ammo, targets, safety glasses, hearing protection etc. We teach NRA courses, CHL, Security Officer Level 3 as well as a few other courses on site. Take a look at our website and give us a try if you live within 30 miles of downtown Austin/San Marcos/Bastrop/Sequin/New Braunfels/Lockhart/Luling/Gonzales. We might be closer than you think and with a 12 per day rate come out shoot eat BBQ and then shoot some more. Matt

Matt you have PM.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the details Matt. I and Texas1911 might be visiting you guys soon, I think we've both been looking for an outdoor range to occasionally go to as well.

rrtex1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Round Rock
    I went and visited Matt at Lonestar today, had a great time even though it was a little sunny and hot.

Was able to shoot whatever ammo I wanted, had the whole rifle range to myself, and had a good time.

I recomend you try him out and see what you think.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Angelina Rifle & Pistol Club. Outdoor range with: I am Safety Officer.
    550 yd rifle range 2 - 100 yd rifle ranges. Covered benches.
    50yd .22 rimfire rifle range. Covered benches. Youth only range under construction. Plinking pit.
    Shotgun range. This is our step child. Re-read the club name.:D
    IDPA & IPSC range & matches.
    Pistols:
    25yd covered range. 15 yd covered Conceal Carry range. Open training bay.
    Behave yourself, give evidence of safe firearms handling & we allow draw & fire, draw from cover, rapid fire, move & shoot.
    000_0008-1.jpg

000_0002-1.jpg

justin81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I go to a place called Magnum Sports Center in Sanger Tx. They have a ouside range for rifles and handguns (the PIT), and a covered outdoor 6 lane pistol range. It's $10, all you can shoot, comes with a few targets, and free ear and eye protection with driver's license. The pistol range has individual back and forth moving targets. The PIT has 3 tables that will allow 3 people at each one shooting. Targets are stapled to pallets that you have to move out yourself, up to 150 yards. No full autos.

It's not a fancy place whatsoever. I'd almost say more like shooting on your buddies land. I really like it because of the laid back attitude, I see the same guys up there every time, and the guy and his wife that run it are really great and knowledgeable.

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    I have been going to a new and growing range just North of Lockhart Texas (20 miles south of Austin) .
    http://www.ctxpta.com/

Rifle range only goes out to 100 yards now, but there are plans to go further.

I used to be a member of the Uvalde Gun Club when I lived there.
    Nice facilities and it goes out to 300 yards. If you live near Uvalde it would be worth joining.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    My buddy in lewisville and I shoot at Bass Pro in Grapefine on the weekends, occasionally on a week night. I recently moved back to Plano so I will be checking out Bullet Trap. Also just found out that Target Master in Garland is 17 min from our work in south Dallas.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    I went to Bullet Trap in Plano tonight for a few hours. It was pretty impressive compared to Bass Pro in Grapevine. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, no problems getting a lane on a Saturday night - no waiting in line.

Bigger selection of firearms, especially HKs - as opposed to one HK display unit at Bass Pro. Looked at several different Kimbers and Colts - something I don't see around here.

Overall, I'll be back.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i bought my first gun in april of last year. the range i used to fequent often was marksman in south houston. great environment with great people there. occasionally you'd get the few knuckle heads that start to get butt hurt cause pieces of the cooper fly back at you and they get all hissy fitty but the owners and workers there always took care of us.

Then Shiloh was built and i stopped by to check the place out and its a very nice facility. Great people there, they do their best to make your range exp a great one. there are times i go up there just to hang out since i dont wanna be at home (my wife works full time and is a full time student, sometimes her bad days are too much for me. lol).. i now make it up to shiloh about twice a week now a days.

there is a long and short range (2 sep rooms), brass only, cold AC, and have different events everyday. tuesday and wednesday are tac classes, thurs is IDPA, and female shooters are discounted after 5pm on friday. they also have discounted time slot for senior citz with coffee, i forget what day but its 10am to 12pm. they also do CHL classes.

pepperbelly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Ft.Worth, Texas
    http://haltomcityrpc.org/
    On the city limits of Haltom City and Ft.Worth off Hwy. 121 and Minnis Dr. (next to the old landfill). We are a private club, one of the few left actually in town.
    We have about 14 25-50 yard rifle and pistol, about the same 100 yard and about 6 200 yard stations. All concrete benches and all positions are covered. We also have an air conditioned/heated break room (Geezer Shack).
    There is a list of matches we hold on the website as well as info on joining.

Jim

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The Graham Rifle and Pistol Club is located just west of town on Gun Range road on 40 acres. It is set up for Blackpowder silhouette with steel targets at 200, 300, and 500 meters. There are about 20 firing positions on the Blackpowder range. Matches are held monthly. We also have a 100, 200, and 300 yard rifle range with four benches for sight-in, target shooting and a 25 yard pistol range. There is also a single bench on the 50 yard sight-in range.

The club membership is limited to 150 and guests need to be with a club member to shoot on the range.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    The only outdoor pistol ranges within reasonable driving distance of me are either closed to new members or open only on weekends. Since I like to shoot pistols during the week, I am shooting at Carter's Country outdoor range on Treaschwig in northeast Houston. They have pistol ranges with covered firing points at 8, 20, and 50 yds. The rifle ranges with covered firing points are 50 and 100 yds. There are also several skeet fields and one trap field. All shooting ranges plus the store itself were totally rebuilt/upgraded last year and are first class. They charge by the gun or shooter but with unlimited time and you can use your own ammo. You do have to buy/use their targets. It's a nice place but I do yearn for a private shooting club like I belonged to in Corpus Christi.

!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Good thread. I've been shooting at the Bullet Trap, I didn't know about the Dallas Pistol Club. I live in between, so I'll definitely check it out. It would be nice to shoot outside.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom