• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    We are talking about actual, national bank notes here, not Schrute Bucks or Canadian Tire money, right? Your claim was that money issued by local, territorial or state banks was not accepted nationwide. Which is false.

Holy de-railed thread Batman!
    Military Camp

Dinoble1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Quoting YOU:

"Paper currency in the form of banknotes was issued by privately owned banks; the notes being redeemable for specie at the bank's office. They were not legal tender. Such notes had value only if the bank could be counted on to redeem them. If a bank failed, its notes became worthless."

This was common in the 1800's, this money was not good outside of the locale where it was issued, trains that ran across the US would not accept it local monies.. Just like my frequent flier miles are not good on other airlines OTHER than those that have a bilateral agreement.

Researching the History of Currency in the US, currency issued by states was generally accepted in other states, however, mostly at a discount which could be as much as 40 % or more depending on distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Mickey Dolenz of the Monkies did not know how to play the drums when they hired him. The show was a big success, so they planned a tour, and by the time the tour came around he had gotten good enough to play the drums on tour.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    IBTL with more important stuff:
    Did you know that you can still buy a steering wheel spinner knob at AutoZone?

Confirmed :P

PIbN414.png

Top Bottom